akim oda

meeting from fiance's family member

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

This may be a little lengthy, but I want to give you all a good picture of my situation, which I'm seeking advice for. My fiance and I met through his mother. I met her at work, almost 3 years ago and have been friends since. She introduced me, to her son over the phone, in Sept 2005. We spoke that day and exchanged email addresses and what do you say, the rest is history.

His mother is a perm. resident of the US for more then 15 years. From what I understand, she didn't file for any of her children to move here. Though, one of her daughter's moved here and became a US citizen, but has moved back to Ghana to be with her husband. She has never had a close relationship with her children, they lived with her mom. It seems like she is a friend to them, rather then a mother.

On the I-129f, on the section how we met. I said we met through a friend and then I traveled to Accra to met him in person. Something like that, It was a very short statement. So, some people have been telling me, it's not good to tell the CO during the interview, that we met through his mom. I can understand where they are coming from, because they may think she paid me to get him here. We could always say, we met through someone else, like a friend of his family here in Tampa. But unfortunately, a lot of our emails mention things about his mom introducing us. Which we need those emails as proof of our relationship before I went to Ghana. I was planning on my fiance bringing most of our emails to the interview. But then again, I don't know how many they actually need to see. I thought, the more the better.

I don't think it's a good idea to lie at the interview. But is it a good idea to say we met from his mom?? Please anyone, whatever comments or advice you can give me, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

This may be a little lengthy, but I want to give you all a good picture of my situation, which I'm seeking advice for. My fiance and I met through his mother. I met her at work, almost 3 years ago and have been friends since. She introduced me, to her son over the phone, in Sept 2005. We spoke that day and exchanged email addresses and what do you say, the rest is history.

His mother is a perm. resident of the US for more then 15 years. From what I understand, she didn't file for any of her children to move here. Though, one of her daughter's moved here and became a US citizen, but has moved back to Ghana to be with her husband. She has never had a close relationship with her children, they lived with her mom. It seems like she is a friend to them, rather then a mother.

On the I-129f, on the section how we met. I said we met through a friend and then I traveled to Accra to met him in person. Something like that, It was a very short statement. So, some people have been telling me, it's not good to tell the CO during the interview, that we met through his mom. I can understand where they are coming from, because they may think she paid me to get him here. We could always say, we met through someone else, like a friend of his family here in Tampa. But unfortunately, a lot of our emails mention things about his mom introducing us. Which we need those emails as proof of our relationship before I went to Ghana. I was planning on my fiance bringing most of our emails to the interview. But then again, I don't know how many they actually need to see. I thought, the more the better.

I don't think it's a good idea to lie at the interview. But is it a good idea to say we met from his mom?? Please anyone, whatever comments or advice you can give me, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One red flag for consulates is that the beneficiary's family is using the USC to gain admission for other family members and therefore not a legitimate relationship. You must be honest with the consulate however- for example my finace was asked in the interview if he had family here in the US. You only need to understand this will raise some questions in the mind of the CO and be prepared to address the red flag to show clear evidence that it is a legitimate relationship.

Maybe since his mother is a LPR and has the ability to petition her son herself, this will help you? I am unsure of LPR can peition adult children or only USC?

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I say don't lie! no matter what conclusions they may jump to. If you start inventing stuff, it'll start to look even sketchier and then more eyebrows were raised.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Maybe since his mother is a LPR and has the ability to petition her son herself, this will help you? I am unsure of LPR can peition adult children or only USC?

LPR's can petition for children. Besides, his mother has been an LPR for 15 years - if she cared about bringing her children to the US faster (or at all), she would have applied for US citizenship. So, I really don't think that's what his mother wants.

To the Yaalisa - definitely don't lie. Tell the truth. If your fiance wanted to immigrate to the US, he would have asked his mother to file a petition. He didn't do it, so I think it proves that immigration is not his first priority.

Good luck! :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Don't lie! You should be able to provide to them other evidence proving your relationship is in fact real; lying will almost always get you into more trouble than it is worth!

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone for the advice. I understand the bottom line is, don't lie. Anyway, it is not me at all, to lie.

Jewel12, I agree with you, if his mom wanted him to come here, she would have tried a long time ago.

We'll have to wait and see what happens during the interview, until then we'll need to do a lot of praying.

I believe we have plenty of supporting evidence, that our relationship is real. Thanks again, everyone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree - don't lie.

I know of someone who was in a similar situation - her fiance's mother has been living in the U.S. for years while her son was in South America. However, this girl and her fiance met on a plane - by chance - and not through her mother.

Anyway, there was no problem with the fact that the fiance's mother is a LPR.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.