movado

Sibling question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I would like to find out how this situation would work.

In 1996 my husband applied for a visa/green card for his then

unmarried sister who lives in India. Since then she married and has

two children. During the past few years, we never had any update on

the status of her application. However, we just got a letter from INS

asking for $70 for the affadivit support fee. I assume that the visa

may be close to becoming a reality.

MY QUESTION IS: Would her spouse and two children also be entitled to

come to the US too with her or would she have to come here first and

then apply for them? How is a situation like this worked... where

circumstances have changed since the original application.

All help is appreciated. Is there anywhere on the INS site that I can

find info pertaining to this kind of situation?

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the petition is for her only then I a pretty sure she cannot bring husband and children. you would have to apply seperatly for them. Maybe someone else knows more but I am almost certain that is the way it should be done.

May God's Grace be all you will ever need ticker.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
If the petition is for her only then I a pretty sure she cannot bring husband and children. you would have to apply seperatly for them. Maybe someone else knows more but I am almost certain that is the way it should be done.

Yeah.. I believe only the sister could come... Once she has citizenship, she could apply for her husband and children as immediate relatives...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Yeah.. I believe only the sister could come... Once she has citizenship, she could apply for her husband and children as immediate relatives...

I don't think this is true. The sister's spouse and her children may accompany her on the visa. At least this is what I understand from this statement.

"Please note that you do not need to file separate visa petitions for your brother’s or sister’s spouse or his/her unmarried children under 21 years of age. They may accompany or follow to join your brother and sister. This includes adopted children who fit the definition of adopted child in the immigration law (101(B)(1)(E) but not"

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/sibapp.htm

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I don't think this is true. The sister's spouse and her children may accompany her on the visa. At least this is what I understand from this statement.

"Please note that you do not need to file separate visa petitions for your brother’s or sister’s spouse or his/her unmarried children under 21 years of age. They may accompany or follow to join your brother and sister. This includes adopted children who fit the definition of adopted child in the immigration law (101(B)(1)(E) but not"

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/sibapp.htm

Correct

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.