rini

New Member needing support on how to begin the K1 visa process

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi,

I'm new to using forums so I apologise in advance if I don't do things quite the way I should do- people are more than welcome to give me some advice on how to usethe forum. I have looked through the official US government websites in order to start the whole ball rolling for my partner and I to get married and live in the US. I am from Scotland and I met my partner who is from the US. We met 3 years ago in the US whilst I was working with a non-profit organization based in the UK on an L1A visa. I recently had to leave the nonprofit and move back to Scotland temporarily as my visa was linked to my work. I have been told that the K1 visa is what I would need in order to get married and settle in the US with my partner. Is this the case? I have quite a list of questions that I am hoping that readers who have experience and knowledge in this area can help support me with.

My partner who is a US Citizen by birth and who would file the petition has a serious criminal record, is currently on parole and does not have a good credit record. I know many would think me crazy but this is true love for better or for worse!!! Would his circumstances prevent him from being considered as an eligible petitioner? What things should we think about in particular to ensure as smooth a process as possible?

At what stage does the petitioner file an affidavit of support? Is it with the I-129F form? Can a member of my partner's family in the US file an affidavit of support form as a joint-sponsor when petitioning for a K1 visa?

When do, I the alien fiance file for my K1 visa, is it when the petition has been accepted?

The affidavit of support form I-134 which I as the alien fiance am recommended to include with my visa forms- does this financial support have to be based on my own personal income or can it come from other sources such as my family- can they for example be considered as a joint-sponsor for me?

I know that this is already a few questions which may already have been answered by other forum memebrs at different points- any tips, ideas, experiences and guidance will very much be appreciated

thanks for your time

hugs

Rini

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi Rini,

First of all on the tabs at the top of the page you will see one marked guides.

If you click there you will find a step by step guide to the K-1 process.

His criminal record is something he needs to be honest about on the I-129F as the Embassy will have to be satisfied you know all about his past. The IMBRA forum here is good for more information.

His credit history is nothing to worry about, it's his income that matters.

You need him to send you the Affadavit of support for you interview in London, if his income doesn't meet the poverty guidelines he will need a co-sponsor willing to fill in another copy of the form. That is the I-134. You can also show the Embassy proff of any money you have that you will take with you but that is usually not required. The point is to prove that you will have financial support in the USA.

Read through the K-1 guides, look at the example forms, then I'm sure you'll have more questions.

Maggie

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok, a lot of questions, I see. Welcome to VJ and you should start out by reading our guides (reachable through the tabs on top of the page), the example forms, and the other topics here in the forums. You'll be able to research which route is better for you, as well as how everything works, when to file, what to file, how to file, everything is there.

After reading the guides you'll have a better understanding of this process and then you can post questions that still remain.

About your fiance's criminal record, you should also read the IMBRA forum.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.