Kathryn41

Coffee Crisp coming to US

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Ok, here in the USA....

Canadian Smarties = Canadian Smarties (there is no American equivalent)

American Smarites = Canadian Rockets

Canadian Rockets = American Smarties

Then...American Rockets = ?????????

Just a thought. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Ant

There is no "American Rockets" in terms of candy...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I wonder...when did the company behind the American version of Smarties begin producing that candy within the United States? This might be important, because if it was before the Canadian Smarties was created or before they were set to introduce them to America, that may explain why Canadian Smarties don't exist here. After all, you can't very well have two candies with the same name -- whoever owned the name first would most likely sue. So to protect their interests, perhaps Nestle decided, rather than go through the effort of making an entirely new name and compete with the already dominating M&M candies (entirely different company, I know, but M&M's have a greater foothold here in the U.S. than I think in any other country), to not bring Canadian Smarties into the United States.

Just a thought. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I tried looking up the info on Wikipedia, but they don't give any information regarding the creating date of American Smarties.

Timeline
check out the wrapper on some American Smarties. They're made in Canada.

Okay, okay...but that's not the point. What I'm getting at is the company behind American Smarties (whether or not they actually produce the candy in the U.S., Canada or wherever) may not be allowing Nestle to import Canadian Smarties into the United States -- at least, not under the name "Smarties." It all depends which one had a hold on the name first in the United States, and my bet would be it'd be the candy many Canadians know as "Rockets."

As a side-note, my fiancee says she's never heard of "Rockets." Maybe she just missed the boat on that one. She's not a huge candy fan (she prefers dark chocolate), so it may have slipped by her.

Hi Everyone,

Ok, here in the USA....

Canadian Smarties = Canadian Smarties (there is no American equivalent)

American Smarites = Canadian Rockets

Canadian Rockets = American Smarties

Then...American Rockets = ?????????

Just a thought. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Ant

American Rockets = ABSOLUTE TRASH! (and also Yank "Smarties" :P)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

my hubby bought me some Coffee Crisp bars from the Dollar Tree store for me for Valentines Day.. (L)

now they just need to bring over some Mr. Big bars and life will be perfect... :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sure if the US starts having Smarties it will probably be the original UK one, not the Canadian version that was adopted from the UK. I haven't eaten them since I was a kid, and just remember they melted all over the place and it was really annoying. One of my old coworkers from the UK actually I think said she was able to get them at specialty UK/English stores here in the US. So if you're wanting Smarties try looking in those types of stores...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

I know this wasn't the topic but to me Canadian M&Ms taste different than US M&Ms. Frankly, I can't stand the Canadian version. M&M is my favorite candy and when I was working up in Canada I bought some at the border as a treat. Ack! :no:

I do like the Aero bars and the Coffee Crisp. I will have to check the stores around me to see if I can find Coffee Crisp.

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Filed: Other Timeline

from Wikipedia (which I know has been posted before in some other thread where some Canadian or Brit was lamenting the lack of Smarties in the US):

Nestlé Smarties are a colourful sugar-coated chocolate confectionery popular in Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Malaysia, South Africa, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and other countries. They are similar to M&M's produced by Mars; in fact, M&Ms were based upon them.

Smarties on Wiki

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well another difference that I've heard in sugary things (that I wouldn't know cause I never drink anything but water and MGD beer ha ha) is that Mountain Dew here in the US has Caffine and Canada's doesn't. Also there's something with rootbeer as well. I think the US version has caffine in it as well, while the Canadian one doesn't (or is that the other way around?).

I just know my friends in Canada always telling me their Mountain Dew sucks and isn't a big thing like it is in the US because of it. Here you'll see people at work bringing in cases of Mountain Dew to their desks which I think is always funny.

So yeah even soft drinks will be quite different too if you drink them...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

there are some root beers that have caffeine and some that don't...

MUG root beer is caffeine free... I was so happy when I found that out while I was pregnant... I was getting tired of drinking Sprite etc... when we went out to eat :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well another difference that I've heard in sugary things (that I wouldn't know cause I never drink anything but water and MGD beer ha ha) is that Mountain Dew here in the US has Caffine and Canada's doesn't. Also there's something with rootbeer as well. I think the US version has caffine in it as well, while the Canadian one doesn't (or is that the other way around?).

This is true. There is a law in Canada prohibiting the addition of caffeine to clear soft drinks so no clear soft drinks -mountain dew, 7up, sprite, gingerale or anything like that - in Canada is allowed to have caffeine. There is also a limit to how much caffeine is allowed in softdrinks that do have caffeine so you won't find some of those JOLT Cola type of ultra caffeinated softdrinks in Canada either. I can understand having a limit on caffeine; I don't understand the rationale behind uncaffeinated clear softdrinks but there is probably one somewhere.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

we used to have JOLT in Canada, was the caffien law made after that and that's why you can't get it anymore?

weirdness.

I think it has something to do with the definition of "cola" maybe. Unless its got the caramel colouring in it to make it brown, its not allowed to have caffiene.

which is fine, I don't like Mountain Dew in either country, its disgusting swill. And I don't generally like pop/soda in the US. Its too sweet. I've pretty much given it up for water. Back home though, I used to drink Pepsi all the time. Here in the US it tastes different, not as much citrus I think, and waaaaaaaaaaay too sweet.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I had to revive it. My wife and I were at a church youth retreat this weekend and I drove up instead of taking the bus with eery one. Anyway, we stoped for gas at a place called Sheetz in Truksville, PA...near Scranton, and they had Coffee Crisp! We got a few and are going to save them for a special occasion.

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

08/25/09 I-751 Sent to VSC

08/26/09 Package arrives at VSC

08/31/09 Check is Cashed/Clears

08/27/09 NOA

09/24/09 Biometrics

11/24/09 Approval letter arrives!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.