TracyTN

Don't shoot the messenger...

33 posts in this topic

But they are proposing to raise the I-130 fee. Not as much as the I-129F, but still a proposed increase.

Somehow, I missed that part (duh!).

In that case, it does make the most sense to have K1ers pay for the increase on the I 129f.

SA4userbar.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
I-485 goes from $325 to $905 . That is the biggest increase. See the notice in VJ News:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52675

Which is an all-inclusive fee - it covers EAD and AP for as long as it takes them to adjust you. No extra filing fees if your AOS ends up taking years. Again a benefit.

No I don't work for USCIS nor do I love them. Far from it. But we have already spent that amount of money for my husband's adjustment.

That is true they are now "free" however the total cost will still be roughly USD $1,000 more for most applicants. The goal as they stated is that this will ensure faster processing times and hopefully as a result people will not need duplicate EAD's, I-131's, etc..

Captain, what is now 'free'? I don't follow you?

As an aside, I can tell you right now from my personal perspective, if it cost me an extra $1000 to process my husband's K1, adjust him, lift and then natz - I would have gladly gladly paid it rather than sit here in this blackhole. If paying the FBI more for servicing to process petitions get people done and gets them onto a normal life, then it's worth every single penny.

EAD and AP's (or as the CIS calls them, interim benefits) are now no cost to file for while a valid I-485 has been filed and is being processed. They "built them into the cost" of the I-485.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We may hope that the process will be expedited with these may be upcoming changes, but - c'mon

how many times have promises been made to "expedite" these processes, yet it still takes months to have a

simple case completed - first of all there are too many forms and too many offices that work on these cases.

No wonder some files get lost in the midst of all this confusion!

The funny thing is - we who will be the first paying these higher fees may not even benefit on the changes - as we all

know changes may be enjoyed by those filling in two to three years to come!

Anyway - I wish everyone the best as we face yet another hurdle! :(

Asamu

AOS/EAD

08/24/2007.....................Mailed out Package to Lockbox Chicago

08/26/2007.....................Package Received in Chicago

09/17/2007.....................AOS NOA1 Issued

09/17/2007.....................EAD NOA1 Issued

09/21/2007.....................Check Cashed

09/22/2007.....................Received hard copy of NOA1 for both AOS & EAD

09/24/2007.....................Notice for Biometric was generated

10/11/2007.....................RFE regarding Taxes & Medical forms

10/20/2007.....................Biometric Appointment

11/7/2007.......................Sent out both Taxes & Medical forms

11/10/2007......................Sent in AP

11/16/2007......................Both forms were received

11/25/2007......................AOS was resumed, EAD?

11/25/2007......................Touch - sharing reception of my packages -- What now?

12/03/2007......................AP Touch & AP NOA

12/14/2007......................AP Approved! YAY ;-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
"The Bush administration is proposing to nearly double the cost of becoming a U.S. citizen and drastically raise the cost of becoming a legal permanent resident." -ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2837116)

Said like this, I can already see where they are going to create even more trouble with the problem of illegal immigrants :P

But, I predict that processing times will be faster because there will be half as many people that can afford to apply.

Forgive my cynicism. I do see the importance of the USCIS modernizing their systems and providing better customer service and everything that will be improved by this fee increase (oh god how I see the room for improvement). But this is such a drastic increase that will create more than a little hardship on many immigrant families. As if the process isn't costly enough as it is, not even counting the cost of moving however many people across the world and the price of a semi-decent (mandatory) wedding. I also see where the government throwing tax money at the USCIS isn't exactly a viable solution either.

I do think that that the fees should be increased on many of the types of visas, including the K-1 and K-3, but not in such a drastically sudden way. It would be slightly easier for immigrant families if these increases are introduced gradually over the next 5-10 years

Edited by ladykelia

K1 Visa Journey:

Jan 12, 2007- I-129F Sent

Jan 17, 2007- I-129F has arrived at the NSC

Jan 24, 2007- NOA1 date

Jan 27, 2007- Check cashed by CSC

Jan 29, 2007- Paper NOA1 recieved (at permenant US address)

May 1, 2007- NOA2

May 16, 2007- At the NVC

May 18, 2007- Left NVC

May 30, 2007- Packet 3 arrives

May 31, 2007- Faxed Packet 3 stuff back

July 9, 2007- Interview at Vancouver

July 10, 2007- Visa recieved!

July 18, 2007- US entry

August 25, 2007- Wedding <3

just curious... I'd like to see what the fees were, say, ten years ago. And how much they've risen in that time frame.

If it's within the bounds of inflation, I'd be cool. If not, I am more than happy to comment officially AND let my congressfolk know. I can be quite persistent.

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
just curious... I'd like to see what the fees were, say, ten years ago. And how much they've risen in that time frame.

If it's within the bounds of inflation, I'd be cool. If not, I am more than happy to comment officially AND let my congressfolk know. I can be quite persistent.

page 14 of this document: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/ProposedRule.pdf shows the fee history of all of the various forms in the past 21 years.

K1 Visa Journey:

Jan 12, 2007- I-129F Sent

Jan 17, 2007- I-129F has arrived at the NSC

Jan 24, 2007- NOA1 date

Jan 27, 2007- Check cashed by CSC

Jan 29, 2007- Paper NOA1 recieved (at permenant US address)

May 1, 2007- NOA2

May 16, 2007- At the NVC

May 18, 2007- Left NVC

May 30, 2007- Packet 3 arrives

May 31, 2007- Faxed Packet 3 stuff back

July 9, 2007- Interview at Vancouver

July 10, 2007- Visa recieved!

July 18, 2007- US entry

August 25, 2007- Wedding <3

Filed: Other Timeline

Ask the old-timers to immigration (people who have been at it longer than me) if MOST of the processes aren't faster than they used to be. I know you will find it hard to believe but I bet most will tell you - yes it IS better.

Even I can say that I129F's (other than the case of Vermont) process faster than they did 2 years ago. A couple of times during the IMBRA fiasco I used to come to this forum and try to console people by telling them Nebraska petitions used to take 6-8 months on a normal basis. It went in one ear and out the other.

And there sure as heck was NO SUCH THING as 45-day greencards like we are presently seeing. When I filed my husband's AOS, the norm to wait for an interview was several months.

Do I like paying more for things? NO. Am I defending USCIS/DHS/DOS? NO. Do things need to get better? You bet your butt they do - especially if they are going to have to process many new petitions once Congress passes whatever immigration law it will pass this year.

But factually I will stand here and tell you, straight up, that systems HAVE improved. They really have. It could be worse.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

The agency said the new fees would reduce average application processing times by 20 percent by the end of September 2009.

I agree with the other posters. If it decreases the wait time I would gladly pay it. The immigration fee is one of the smallest costs in this whole process in my opinion.

If the CSC could manage the VSC times it would make many of us happier.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Tracy seems our times just keep going the wrong direction. :crying:

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

The agency said the new fees would reduce average application processing times by 20 percent by the end of September 2009.

I agree with the other posters. If it decreases the wait time I would gladly pay it. The immigration fee is one of the smallest costs in this whole process in my opinion.

If the CSC could manage the VSC times it would make many of us happier.

I dunno. A thousand dollar increase better give me more than a reduction in processing times by 20% for paperwork. If you look at the pdf, most of the increases have been between $20 and $50 (e.g.) for the I-129F. An increase of $285 is more than all the previous increases in the past 20 years combined, doubled.

I don't know how you can say the immigration fees are the smallest part of this whole process, unless you're counting the costs of dating someone from overseas, but that's a bit like counting the first date movie tickets in the cost of your wedding.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Maybe they should just do some HOUSECLEANING with all the incompetence and that goes on at some of the service centers - prbably be better than throwing more money at them. I dont mind paying more (although it already takes a pretty good chunk out of my pocket - X3 for me) as long as it does help but doesnt seem right at 80-90% more. :angry:

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

I don't believe this has been made clear yet, so allow me to ask about it... how certain is it that those changes will come into effect in October? I understand the words "proposed changes", but how likely is it that they will happen as outlined and within the specified timeline?

I'm not too concerned about the increased price of the I-129F as we will file for it before October, but I am concerned about the extra money for adjustment of status when the time comes.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

I suppose some of it depends on the feedback they get from the public - but that's me being all optimistic. I'm pretty sure they're going to do what they want to do anyway to make it the 'system of the 21st century' (that made me giggle).

The AOS part goes up some $230. In the grand scheme of things, not so bad, but as I said in the other thread - even that much more may make some reconsider what visa type they go for (i.e. one where the alien arrives with work authorization).

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

When my grandfather came to this country 100 years ago there were no fees associated with getting into the country. It's a shame that a country founded and built by immigrants can charge so very much to those who wish to follow.

That being said, if the government truly needs more money to help in the processing on these visas, etc. and ensuring the country's security, then I have an idea.

The airport commissions are now selling advertising space at the bottom on the plastic bins you use at the airport to put your personal items in for the x-ray machine. That's so they can pay for "beefed" up security equipment and more guards to make the process faster.

So, rather than pass the higher costs of security on to immigrants and their loved ones, maybe the government could sell advertising on the back of the forms and letters they make immigrants complete? On the side of the visa they could have a perforated section and sell tear-off coupon advertising to American merchants—I'm seeing McDonald's, Starbuck's, Target, maybe Rapid Oil Change. It would be like a "Welcome to America, we're glad you're here! Take fifty cents off your first Big Mac!" Everyone wins!

It could happen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.