Henia

First name changes

31 members have voted

1. 1. Have you changed your first name since knowing your SO (or converting for those who did)

• No, and donnot plan on it
    • I changed my name when I converted
    • My SO gave me by a Islamic/Arabe nickname-alias
    • My SO gave me a Islamic/Arabe name and I had it changed legally
    • No, but am thinking on it
    • Other, plz explain
  2. 2. Are you for or against changing the first name?

• Against, why my parents gave me a name, if they donnot like they can sod off
    • I would not mind, it is/ might be fun to be called something else
    • For, I believe I should have a Islamic/Arabe name
    • Kinda in the middle- I like my only SO to call me by this new (pet) name
    • Other, plz explain

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Arabic Names

Boys: Mohammed,Abdul, Ahmed, Emir,Basil, Bachir,Hamza, Jamal, Murad, Bilal, Nabil, Samir

Girl:Amal, Jazmin, Jameela, Karima, Kamila, Khadijah, Leila, Malak, Malika, Meriem, Noura, Nadia, Safiyah, Rania, Salma, Sanáa, Suhair, Warda,Zeinab,Adeela, Aldina

sub-cat Egyptien: (girl) Isis, Nile, Memphis (boy)Paki, Sobala

Aramaic:

Girl:Samantha, Talitha

Boy:Abbot,Zakai

Hebrew:

girl: Alayiah, Sarah, Abigal, Adalia, Rebeka, Ariel,

Ari: Aaron, David, Moses, Yaakov, Yael

Assyrian/Syrian:

girl : Lilith, Abella,Zada

boy: Aram, Sargon,

Turkis:

girl:Ayse, Dilek, Feiruza, Gizem,Harika,Jihen,Nuray, Safrah, Sevilin

boy: Haran, Erol, Murad, Baris, Ismet, Irem, Levent, Malik, Khan, Selim, Tamer, Tarkan, Soultan, Zefery

ty henia (F)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Names of the prophets are very popular in Islamic cultures. Of course Muhammad is the most common. But you will also often see Ibrahim, Ismail, Yacub, Yusuf, Musa, Suleiman, Dawood, Issa (Abraham, Ishmael, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Solomon, David, Jesus) and many more. One of my husband's brothers is named Izhaq (Isaac.)

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Timeline

My sons both have their father's name as a middle as well as their grandfather and great grandfather's names. If I have a daughter one day (isa) I would keep with that tradition. It wouldn't bother me to have Mohamed Abderrazek as my (future) daughter's middle name.

I've seen a trend here in which Christian Arabs in particular are naming their children more "American" names. Most Muslim Arabs I know are more traditional in naming their children "Arabic" names and having the father's name as the middle.
I hate when they do that. Esp for girls.... like Sharif, Leila Zeid(!!?!) I donnot like the way it looks or sounds. :blink: But anyway that is my opinion

Edited by moody

Timeline
Also names of companions or relatives of the prophet (pbuh) such as Hamza, Aisha, Fatima, Ali, Hassan, Husein, Khadiga, Zayd, etc.

Absolutely :thumbs:

Maryam (Mary) is also a verrrrry popular name for a girl. And Asma' (daughter of Abu Bakr.)

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Names of the prophets are very popular in Islamic cultures. Of course Muhammad is the most common. But you will also often see Ibrahim, Ismail, Yacub, Yusuf, Musa, Suleiman, Dawood, Issa (Abraham, Ishmael, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Solomon, David, Jesus) and many more. One of my husband's brothers is named Izhaq (Isaac.)

(F)

-MK

So Jesus would be ok? And Christine not?

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

(F)

-MK

:lol:

I've been pretty confused too as to which names would be considered offensive and why.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

(F)

-MK

A common name formula in much of the muslim world has been abd (slave) of _______. It is generally frowned on to be considered a slave of anything but God. So, you can be Abdullah (slave of God) and AbdurRahman (slave of the Most Merciful), but it would be a no no to be be Abd'Muhammad (slave of Muhammad). I think Christian, implicating a follower of Christ, could be in that same category. However, I think it may also mean anointed, which I suppose would be an ok name.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Yes, because Jesus (pbuh) is a prophet of Allah although it's not terribly common name in the MENA. The name, Christine, has no religious significance (sp) in Islam.

Perhaps not in Egypt. But "Issa" is a fairly common name in Palestine, Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries. Both Muslim and Christians use this Arabic version of "Jesus."

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Yes, because Jesus (pbuh) is a prophet of Allah although it's not terribly common name in the MENA. The name, Christine, has no religious significance (sp) in Islam.

Thanks.

So what other names would be considered as being negative towards Islam and therefore would be "worth" changing?

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

DCF timeline:

Filed: Timeline

No one said that Christine is a "negative" name. It's just not traditionally "Islamic".

Thanks.

So what other names would be considered as being negative towards Islam and therefore would be "worth" changing?

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Though it does not really apply to me, it could apply to my husband. (I want to say I only read the 1st page so sorry if I am missing an important part of this topic, I'll read the rest later...)

He was born in a Hindu family with a Hindu name, and when he became a Christian later in life he did not change his name and I would not want him to. I know some ppl in India might want to change their name when they become a Christian if they were Hindu or Muslim, etc because names unfortunately are so obvious in India as to what religion you are. Your name says what you are. PPL just assume. I don't like it, people should not have to be whatever religion their name supposedly is. I like that I have a supposedly Hindu last name now and my husbands name is Sujeet, and yet we are very devoted Christians, and not Hindu at all.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

No one said that Christine is a "negative" name. It's just not traditionally "Islamic".
Sorry if that came across the wrong way, I was referring to the posts quoted below.

I was trying to think of a name with a possible negative connotation and couldn't think of any and that's why I asked.

A muslim name does not have to be arabic. I was taught that you can have any name you wish as long as it doesn't have negative connotations against Islam. For example, if you had the name Christine, you'd probably want to change it.

Just curious- where's the negative connotation against Islam in the name Christine?

Because it stems from the word "Christ" or "Christian"?

Why would that be considered negative towards Islam?

Christine is the female version of Christian which is the follower of Christ.

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

DCF timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.