Henia

First name changes

31 members have voted

1. 1. Have you changed your first name since knowing your SO (or converting for those who did)

• No, and donnot plan on it
    • I changed my name when I converted
    • My SO gave me by a Islamic/Arabe nickname-alias
    • My SO gave me a Islamic/Arabe name and I had it changed legally
    • No, but am thinking on it
    • Other, plz explain
  2. 2. Are you for or against changing the first name?

• Against, why my parents gave me a name, if they donnot like they can sod off
    • I would not mind, it is/ might be fun to be called something else
    • For, I believe I should have a Islamic/Arabe name
    • Kinda in the middle- I like my only SO to call me by this new (pet) name
    • Other, plz explain

81 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I have a question kind of on the topic of names...Whenever my fiance is telling someone his name he will always say his last name first. He does it for my name as well. Like for example his name was "Mohamed Eric Smith" he always introduces himself as "Smith, Mohamed Eric." Do your SOs do this as well? I kind of was thinking it was because there are so many Mohamed's that you need the last name to keep them straight.

Also a question for Muslims - are only the Arabic versions of the names of the prophets appropriate names? =

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

My youngest son has an Arabic name that could be for a "Muslim" or "Christian", however, Moh claims that no Egyptian Christian would name their child that name. He's wrong, lol. I know an Egyptian Christian with that name.

I've seen a trend here in which Christian Arabs in particular are naming their children more "American" names. Most Muslim Arabs I know are more traditional in naming their children "Arabic" names and having the father's name as the middle.

I just wanted to add that in ME/NA there used to be a concrete line of names. You used to be able to tell a person's religion by their name. However in more recent years, people have just been using the names they like regardless of the origin.

My ex husband signs his name with his last name first.

I have a question kind of on the topic of names...Whenever my fiance is telling someone his name he will always say his last name first. He does it for my name as well. Like for example his name was "Mohamed Eric Smith" he always introduces himself as "Smith, Mohamed Eric." Do your SOs do this as well? I kind of was thinking it was because there are so many Mohamed's that you need the last name to keep them straight.

Also a question for Muslims - are only the Arabic versions of the names of the prophets appropriate names? =

Filed: Timeline

When I converted, I discussed the name change with Moh. We both actually agreed in me keeping my birthname as respect to my parents. Its who I am. I don't believe a name changes the intention of the person, but that's just my opinion. The imam agreed with me and told me its not necessary to change it.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

No and I think that's why I was confused in the beginning of this thread. I thought it asked what your "muslim"' name was not what your "arabic" name was. A muslim name does not have to be arabic. I was taught that you can have any name you wish as long as it doesn't have negative connotations against Islam. For example, if you had the name Christine, you'd probably want to change it. My first name is Bridget, which is the name of a saint who lived in Ireland. I thought of changing it legally but like others said I don't want to dishonor my parents. When I change my last name I will put Sarah as my middle name.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

To be honest, when I reverted changing my first name never crossed my mind. It took me a good 20 years to finally come to my senses and actually like my birth name. But in the twenty years, I never wanted to be called Janine. Now I like it, and I am going to stick with it. Especially because I love the way my in-laws pronounce it. GeeNeen! :lol:

THen there is also the fact that when it was brought to my attention that I should look into it, I didn't see a name that really stood out to me. And the one name I do like, we are planning to name our first girl.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A muslim name does not have to be arabic. I was taught that you can have any name you wish as long as it doesn't have negative connotations against Islam. For example, if you had the name Christine, you'd probably want to change it.

Just curious- where's the negative connotation against Islam in the name Christine?

Because it stems from the word "Christ" or "Christian"?

Why would that be considered negative towards Islam?

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
A muslim name does not have to be arabic. I was taught that you can have any name you wish as long as it doesn't have negative connotations against Islam. For example, if you had the name Christine, you'd probably want to change it.

Just curious- where's the negative connotation against Islam in the name Christine?

Christine is the female version of Christian which is the follower of Christ.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
However, when I converted to Islam, I did not change my name. For me, Muhammad was Muhammad (saws) before he became muslim. Khadija was Khadija (ra) before she became muslim. Umar was Umar (ra) before he became a muslim. The Prophet (saws) changed names when the name had a negative meaning, and gave people affectionate nicknames, but everyone who converted didn't change their name.

Also, as a muslim I am suppose to honor my parents. My parents chose my name. I would see it as dishonoring them if I changed it.

I agree with you here! :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

No and I think that's why I was confused in the beginning of this thread. I thought it asked what your "muslim"' name was not what your "arabic" name was. A muslim name does not have to be arabic. I was taught that you can have any name you wish as long as it doesn't have negative connotations against Islam. For example, if you had the name Christine, you'd probably want to change it. My first name is Bridget, which is the name of a saint who lived in Ireland. I thought of changing it legally but like others said I don't want to dishonor my parents. When I change my last name I will put Sarah as my middle name.

I am a Buddhist/Hindu so am sorry to butt in here but had to share my experience - my birth name actually is Christine :P and I changed it to the name my Guru/Lama gave me when I officially became Buddhist(took refuge) 6 years ago, went through the legal paperwork and everything 5 years ago, even though most people don't - it was a personal decision since my name was so obviously 'Christian'. My mom and her family have balked at it and now I don't really mind if she calls me Christine - I know that's how she refers to me behind my back because she's slipped a couple of times when I've come to visit... :lol: I also have a Hindu name which I picked out - Giripriya - which means 'lover of mountains' :D - one of the 1008 names of Shiva. Sometimes my sweetie calls me 'Priya' which means 'beloved' and is also a nickname.

okay, I'll leave now and go back to my peeps in S. Asia... :jest:

Edited by deathbydalbhat

Timeline

My husband and both do that. That has nothing to do with religion or MENA per say. Varies country to country. Like, in my country I would be(example) Madame Smith, Leila Nour ....

About your second question. There is much debate about... varies Salafis say one must have the arabic version, while more progressive Muslims would say spelling does not count. But I *think* it boils down what is your heart. God, your God knows you best, so....

Timeline

My husband and both do that. That has nothing to do with religion or MENA per say. Varies country to country. Like, in my country I would be(example) Madame Smith, Leila Nour ....

About your second question. There is much debate about... varies Salafis say one must have the arabic version, while more progressive Muslims would say spelling does not count. But I *think* it boils down what is your heart. God, your God knows you best, so....

Timeline

Timeline
I've seen a trend here in which Christian Arabs in particular are naming their children more "American" names. Most Muslim Arabs I know are more traditional in naming their children "Arabic" names and having the father's name as the middle.
I hate when they do that. Esp for girls.... like Sharif, Leila Zeid(!!?!) I donnot like the way it looks or sounds. :blink: But anyway that is my opinion

Timeline

Christine is the female version of Christian which is the follower of Christ.

True, it is. But while many Muslims (Salafi) would say this goes against Islam... I cannot see why. It is one of the religions of the books. I see how someone named Christine or Christien even if Muslim would be considered a Christien...but if your parents gave you that name and you donnot want to change it ...then why would you have to? God knows best and is all merciful... so I am pretty HE knows what is in our hearts.

Timeline

Quote from a Islamic www

As for changing one’s name, it is not a necessary factor in accepting Islam, although many people choose to use Muslim names, so taking pride in their new identity. If one’s name contains some aspect of disbelief, such as one having a name which meant “the son of God”, then changing it becomes obligatory. Another reason a person should change their name is when it is one which is discouraged; such as if one had a name that meant “war” or something similar.[1]One ought to never change the name of one’s father, which usually follows one’s personal name, such as the “last” or “family” name, even if it be a disliked or forbidden name, in order not to blur the lines of familial lineage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.