antda

Canadian Passport and Name Change...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I currently still have my Canadian passport that I came into the US with and has not yet expired, but it still has my former maiden last name on it. Eveyrhing else ID-wise and paperwork-wise here is in my new married last name (and yes, I like my new married last name better than my maiden last name). So, I was wondering if it was worth it to get a new Canadian passport with my married last name? If so, how do I get this done? Do I have to apply for a new passport all over again? Or should I just wait until I get US citizenship (oh, in about 3 years or so), and not bother with the Canadian passport?

Any other comments, ideas, thoughts, or questions on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I currently still have my Canadian passport that I came into the US with and has not yet expired, but it still has my former maiden last name on it. Eveyrhing else ID-wise and paperwork-wise here is in my new married last name (and yes, I like my new married last name better than my maiden last name). So, I was wondering if it was worth it to get a new Canadian passport with my married last name? If so, how do I get this done? Do I have to apply for a new passport all over again? Or should I just wait until I get US citizenship (oh, in about 3 years or so), and not bother with the Canadian passport?

Any other comments, ideas, thoughts, or questions on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ant

This question has been asked in the last month.. Use search and see what you find...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Hi Ziggy,

Ummm...Where exactly is this post (or similar posts) again? Sorry, I'm new to VJ...

Ant

This question has been asked in the last month.. Use search and see what you find...

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I go this from the Canadian Consulate in boston. if there is a consulate near you, you can go there to amend your passport, rather than getting a new one.

Subject: Response - Canadian Consulate

Dear Correspondent,

Your e-mail (copied below) was forwarded to me for response.

If your current, valid, passport was issued in your maiden name BEFORE the date of your marriage AND you have a document that shows you are using the married name (ex. Social Security Card, driving license, green card, work authorization, health insurance card, etc.), you can apply at the Consulate in Boston to have your married name added to your passport. It is a relatively simple procedure, requiring an appointment with me, US$ 11 cash, your marriage certificate, and the document showing you are using your married name. The process takes about 40 minutes, and an observation will be added into the back of your passport showing your married name.

If your passport was issued in your maiden name AFTER your date of marriage, there is no way to add a married name to your passport. Unfortunately, your only option is to apply for a whole new Canadian passport, this time in your married name. In order to do that, you will have to show some proof that you are using a married name, such as a driving license. For Canadians in the US, this can be a bit of a "Catch-22" as the US often won't issue documents except for based on what name is in the passport. I regret to inform you that Passport Canada will not bend on this. They will not be the first organization to provide documentation for you in a married name.

Please let me know in a return e-mail if you would like an appointment.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

If you want a whole new passport (just in married name), you need to apply through passport Canada. If there is no consulate near you, you can mail in your passport and marriage certificate to passport canada (with $12.00) and they will add in your married name.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

Removal of Conditions:

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Hi Jane,

How are you? Good luck on your own immigration journey! By the way, Boston is a nice place, as it is very interesting to learn about American history there, indeed.

Thank you for the information listed above/below. It is very much appreciated. I've been looking on the Passport Canada website and could not find such information, so this is definately a great help. I should have thought about e-mailing the Canadian Consulate, like you did instead. Oh well, computer-challenged me.

The nearest Canadian Consulate to me is in Buffalo, NY (which is about an hour and a half away from where I am), so I will give them a call and/or an e-mail about this to set up an appointment and/or to find out more information. I am relieved too that I don't have to get a new passport, and a simple notation costing $11USD is way better than paying $90 (or was it more/less?) for a new passport. Thanks again :).

Ant

I go this from the Canadian Consulate in boston. if there is a consulate near you, you can go there to amend your passport, rather than getting a new one.

Subject: Response - Canadian Consulate

Dear Correspondent,

Your e-mail (copied below) was forwarded to me for response.

If your current, valid, passport was issued in your maiden name BEFORE the date of your marriage AND you have a document that shows you are using the married name (ex. Social Security Card, driving license, green card, work authorization, health insurance card, etc.), you can apply at the Consulate in Boston to have your married name added to your passport. It is a relatively simple procedure, requiring an appointment with me, US$ 11 cash, your marriage certificate, and the document showing you are using your married name. The process takes about 40 minutes, and an observation will be added into the back of your passport showing your married name.

If your passport was issued in your maiden name AFTER your date of marriage, there is no way to add a married name to your passport. Unfortunately, your only option is to apply for a whole new Canadian passport, this time in your married name. In order to do that, you will have to show some proof that you are using a married name, such as a driving license. For Canadians in the US, this can be a bit of a "Catch-22" as the US often won't issue documents except for based on what name is in the passport. I regret to inform you that Passport Canada will not bend on this. They will not be the first organization to provide documentation for you in a married name.

Please let me know in a return e-mail if you would like an appointment.

If you don't want to go to the consulate, you can mail off your passport, $12.00 and some other things right to passport canada and they can add in the married name for you.

Here's the link:

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/usa/personal_information.aspx?lang=e

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

Removal of Conditions:

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

Even if you do get US citizenship eventually you still need to keep your Canadian passport up to date.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.