ITLiam

Starting this whole malarky

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Good point with the sponsorship - would that be before being married or after and waiting for news on being able to work? We are very fortunate in that we both have good jobs and are both over that amount at our current places. I'm in a well needed area so can pick up work fairly easily (I say that hopefully ha)

She needs to prove her income is enough to support herself and you at the time of your interview, and again after you arrive and file for adjustment of status. So she needs to stay in that well-paying job for the foreseeable future. Your income is irrelevant.

Edited by slangofoil

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

It was really hard, and we had a 6 month old at the time of filing too. My husband started off on a working/holiday visa that was extended, so he was living with me in Australia for 18 months.. We filed Sept 2012, he had to leave AU in Jan 2013. We got the K-1 in Sept 2013.. We managed a holiday to see him in the US on the VWP for a month in June 2013 so the longest block of time we were apart was 5 months - but yes, it was a very hard time for us! A lot of skyping!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If you applied immediately (our plan, too), you should get your working permit within 90 days. I think the average nowadays is like 80 days, but it could range from 30-90 depending on processing times. This can be a tough wait! Just to be safe, I've been setting aside money to keep us fed for at least 6 months! It could take up to a year to actually get the green card in your hand. It'll be a conditional green card that has to be renewed after 2 years. You have to stay married for 2 years, or you get the boot :P

The sponsorship for me has to be proven with the K-1, but I think this depends on the consulate? I could be wrong on that. Either way, you have to prove it in the AOS packet you submit after you get here. That would be your fiancée (the petitioner), since you wouldn't be employed at the time. She'd just have to show her tax stuff, salary, pay stubs, all that fun stuff with an Affidavit of Support.

Managing the time apart isn't easy, and for some reason when you're waiting for paperwork, it just seems worse! Best advice- try not to dwell on it too much. Stay positive, rely on each other! Plan trips to visit if you have the means. And of course, keep in mind that it's temporary :)

Thank you that's helpful. Time frames always vary of course but it is good to have some kind of idea and not be shocked and discouraged when thye are longer than hoped for.

I think this is what we'd do. If we did the K-1 and I moved there to marry her legally within the first week, and then immediately applied for AOS, AP and EAD, any ideas how long it would take to start working?

Good point with the sponsorship - would that be before being married or after and waiting for news on being able to work? We are very fortunate in that we both have good jobs and are both over that amount at our current places. I'm in a well needed area so can pick up work fairly easily (I say that hopefully ha)

Ouch that's long! We are about to be reunited on Monday after 3 months apart and that was hard, even with Skyping every day. How did you manage the time apart?

This is a really helpful forum, being in the unknown about where to go, time scales and seeming lack of success at every turn is discouraging but this does give me fresh perspective and help put together a plan of action. Thank you again everyone! We'll get the I-129F sent out for ASAP.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello Liam. :)

the K1 process from filing to issued (providing your case is straight forward and there aren't any SNAFU's) it should take about 1 year from application to the POE for a UK citizen. It can be as little as 6 months, or as much a 2 years, but it's best to plan about 1 year to give yourselves some flex room.

The K1 visa is "faster" but often more expensive, here's a breakdown:

K1 visa (Fiance(e) Visa)

• Typically takes 8-12 months until you can move to the U.S.A. This is typically sooner than the CR-1 visa.
  • The US Citizen (USC) will have to qualify financially to sponsor.
  • You both will have to have met in the last 2 years from the date the USC has filed.
  • Fees are greater in the long run.
  • Once the beneficiary (Non-USC) is in the U.S.A. and married, the USC will have to file for an Adjustment of Status (AoS) to get the beenficiary a green card (GC).
  • If the beneficiary wants to work while waiting for their GC you both will have to file for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or work permit with your AoS. It's also recommended that you file for your your Advance Parole (AP), at the same time as it's free; the AP will allow the beneficiary to leave the US without abandoning his/her AoS petition. This can take an additional 3-6 months before the EAD and AP is granted (will not effect the AoS processing).
  • If you've been married less than 2 years when you are granted your AoS you'll have to apply to remove conditions in 2 years, which is additional fees and paperwork.

CR-1 Visa (Spousal):

• Can take upwards of a year before you can move to the U.S.A.
  • The USC will have to qualify financially to sponsor.
  • Fees are less in the long run.
  • Once the beneficiary enters the U.S.A. they get their green card and can start working immediately.
  • If you've been married for more than 2 years at the date of entry to the U.S.A. on a CR-1 visa you will not have to apply to lift conditions.
  • Check the Administrative Processing for your country to get a better idea of a timeline.
Edited by d3adc0d3

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

People do this ALL the time. As long as your completely honest and show ties that you'll be going back to the UK after the wedding its no big deal and not really taking chances. My husband did this, as do many many people. Then you would file for a CR1, which still takes quite awhile, but you could still visit during the process. The plus side of the CR1 is as soon as you arrive in the US, you are eligible to work, get a driver's license, travel, etc. I believe in the long run, its also less expensive.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Yes, some people are successful at attempting this. But some people also haven't been successful. It may depend on many factors such as the proof you offer, if they want to even believe your proof, if the IO is even aware you're allowed to do this, and even how that IO is feeling on that particular day. I'm glad your husband was successful, that's really great. :)

Ouch that's long! We are about to be reunited on Monday after 3 months apart and that was hard, even with Skyping every day. How did you manage the time apart?

This is a really helpful forum, being in the unknown about where to go, time scales and seeming lack of success at every turn is discouraging but this does give me fresh perspective and help put together a plan of action. Thank you again everyone! We'll get the I-129F sent out for ASAP.

Word of advice, here.. I see my fiancé again on Friday after being apart for a similar timeframe. We've been at this for ten years about now. For some, talking every day helps -- whether that be on the phone or Skype or some sort of messenger. Yes it will be hard to say goodbye every night. Communication is key, trust is key, and trying not to be sad all the time (as hard as that may be) is key. You'll have moments no doubt, when it's good to just have a cry.. but support each other as best you can emotionally. Finding something to do together, even at a distance is good distraction. Play video games together, watch the same movies while chatting, and every moment you see each other make the most of it. Planning out wedding ideas is something you can do together too. It is not easy, but it will pay off in the end.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Hi Guys,

Just joined and looking at where to start this whole process. I am a Brit living in the UK. My girlfriend (and soon to be fiancee :dancing:) is an American and currently back over there but will come back with me after I visit next week. She will then stay in the UK till January - when she will return without me - with the intention of getting married this February, for which I will come over for a few weeks beforehand and then remain there.

My current plan is that she will submit the I-129F application ASAP and we will wait for that to return before filling in the K1 application from the UK. My worry is the time scale - is it too short a time for this whole process? My estimates put it at 5 months between initial application and my arrival in the country for the wedding. Am I able to enter the country before the K1 is returned or even if I am still waiting for the I-129F to return at that point?

Would really appreciate advice, this whole process is pretty intimidating. Takes some romance out of it all, but she's worth it and I'll fight for it :content:

If you have no intent to marry and emigrate on your next visit but you both change you mind and marry, you can submit I130 and I485 at the same time (there are a few other forms as well).

Once you receive a NOA (notice of Action) from the USCIS that they have accepted your paperwork you then enter a period of legal stay while they process your documentation. You cannot leave the US until all paperwork has been processed.

There are threads on here about this.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes, some people are successful at attempting this. But some people also haven't been successful. It may depend on many factors such as the proof you offer, if they want to even believe your proof, if the IO is even aware you're allowed to do this, and even how that IO is feeling on that particular day. I'm glad your husband was successful, that's really great. :)

Word of advice, here.. I see my fiancé again on Friday after being apart for a similar timeframe. We've been at this for ten years about now. For some, talking every day helps -- whether that be on the phone or Skype or some sort of messenger. Yes it will be hard to say goodbye every night. Communication is key, trust is key, and trying not to be sad all the time (as hard as that may be) is key. You'll have moments no doubt, when it's good to just have a cry.. but support each other as best you can emotionally. Finding something to do together, even at a distance is good distraction. Play video games together, watch the same movies while chatting, and every moment you see each other make the most of it. Planning out wedding ideas is something you can do together too. It is not easy, but it will pay off in the end.

This is very good advice. My Fianceé and I watch Movies/TV Shows all the time over Skype, she counts to 3 and we both hit play at the same time. We also like to sleep on Skype together (it's not everyone's thing) but for us it gives us a real sense of being there for one another every night no matter our distance.

Anything that you both feel would help to "close" the distance will make this emotional roller-coaster of a process that much easier to get through.

Best wishes on your journey

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi Guys,

Just joined and looking at where to start this whole process. I am a Brit living in the UK. My girlfriend (and soon to be fiancee :dancing:) is an American and currently back over there but will come back with me after I visit next week. She will then stay in the UK till January - when she will return without me - with the intention of getting married this February, for which I will come over for a few weeks beforehand and then remain there.

My current plan is that she will submit the I-129F application ASAP and we will wait for that to return before filling in the K1 application from the UK. My worry is the time scale - is it too short a time for this whole process?

Yes, plan for 10 months total and then be surprised if it comes quicker.

My estimates put it at 5 months between initial application and my arrival in the country for the wedding.

Bad plan

Am I able to enter the country before the K1 is returned or even if I am still waiting for the I-129F to return at that point?

Maybe

Would really appreciate advice, this whole process is pretty intimidating. Takes some romance out of it all, but she's worth it and I'll fight for it :content:

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

there are so many factors here. it's true that some people are luckier than others. I really thought it was going to take 5 months tops and I would be in the U.S. by that time frame. It's been 7 months now, I received NOA2, my case was sent to NVC, not sure where it is now, but I haven't received the packet 3 yet, so it's probably not at my consulate yet. So just to tell you, it could take you over a year before you receive your visa in hand.

*** I am the beneficiary ***

laB4m4.png

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2014-02-10

NOA1 : 2014-02-18

NOA2 USCIS Notification - Hardcopy : 2014-08-11 (174 days)

Case received by NVC: 2014-08-15

Case number assigned: 2014-08-27

Case left NVC to consulate: 2014-08-28

Received by consulate: 2014-09-08

Received Packet 3: 2014-09-12

Sent Packet 3: 2014-12-05

Received Packet 4: 2014-12-11

Medical: 2015-01-19

Interview Date: 2015-02-06 (APPROVED)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.