D&Q

citizenship after conditional residency

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I was wondering when can my husband apply for citizenship. He came to the US with a conditional residency card which he has to renew it within 90 days before his expiration date on his card. Right now we are in the process of renewing it. So, I have heard that for him to apply for citizenship he needs to have had 3 years with his 10 year residency card before he applies. But then I hear that he can apply for citizenship once he has 3 years in the US even if he had a conditional residency card.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. :rolleyes:

ROC Timeline:

August 22, 2014: Sent I-751

August 25, 2014: NOA1 received

September 5, 2014: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

September 19, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

cpa2y0ku2k8x.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Three years from the date of "resident since". So two years on the conditional and one on the new one, sort of. Actually you can file up to 90 days prior to the three years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

first he has to remove conditions, it's not renewing, he will be removing conditions to get the 10 year GC, just like the first time, he must prove that you have a bona fide marriage

after removing conditions, if you have been married for 3 or more years and 3 years of being a LPR, he can apply for citizenship, but after removing conditions

Timeline

hi

first he has to remove conditions, it's not renewing, he will be removing conditions to get the 10 year GC, just like the first time, he must prove that you have a bona fide marriage

after removing conditions, if you have been married for 3 or more years and 3 years of being a LPR, he can apply for citizenship, but after removing conditions

Yes, removing conditions sorry. Just to see if I understood, you are saying that once he gets his 10 year green card we will need to wait 3 years for him to apply for citizenship?

ROC Timeline:

cpa2y0ku2k8x.png

Yes, removing conditions sorry. Just to see if I understood, you are saying that once he gets his 10 year green card we will need to wait 3 years for him to apply for citizenship?

One year after that, since that will have been a total of three years of permanent residency. As someone mentioned, the application for naturalization can be filed ninety days beforehand.

Timeline

One year after that, since that will have been a total of three years of permanent residency. As someone mentioned, the application for naturalization can be filed ninety days beforehand.

good just 1 more year. Thank you for the info!

ROC Timeline:

cpa2y0ku2k8x.png

Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi let me help u.. I just became a united states citizen last year and I've been through all this!!! So first I got married on August 2009 and applied for my adjustment of status on November of the same year and on February of 2010 I was approved and got my provisional residence, after 2 years and before my residence card pas due I applied for my ten year permanent resident card and it took so many months until I received my permanent resident card on November of 2012 and on December of the same year I applied for my citizenship and took my exam on May 2013 cause it takes 5 months to get approve. So what I'm trying to say here is that your residence counts from the day you received your first card that means your provisional residence card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.