tboxcar

US Citizen out of Country when spouse files N-400

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I searched around and could not find answers regarding this issue if it even is one. My wife who has her 10 year green card will file her N-400 this coming November 2014, I'm not worried about her residency here as she has not left the country for nearly 18 months and pays taxes and we have joint acccounts etc.

My concern is myself as I am out of the country alot, sometimes for months at a time, taking care of business in 'her homeland' as she is unable to return much.

Question: will my absence be of a concern during the interview? Is there a possibilty the Office can claim our marriage is not valid as I'm not always here? But I must make a living and support my wife it just so happens that I'm gone alot. Everything is normal, should I be concerned?

Timeline

So everything sounds 'hunky dory' as we are in Maritial Union, it just so happens I'm not home as much I would like to be and she works alot, other than that we file jointly and both our names appear on many bills, I guess it all depends upon what 'Marital Union' is...Lol I think it will be ok, I'm not too worried as the wife knows are situation and can explan it well to the officer is asked. Then again, how is the office even going to know I am not around unless they ask? Husband do take business trips it's not uncommon.

Timeline

I guess we will have to wait and see as sometimes my trips are several months long, I think they are more concerned about people living 'apart' and the chance that the marriage is not valid. Then again, ....I see little evidence that says the spouse that holds the citizenship needs to be in the USA 365 days a year, just that the couple needs to have valid and legitmate maritial union. My father was in the Navy on 6 month tours does not mean his marriage was 'invalid' it just so happens that I must take care of our business matters in her home country and tend to her family, by her doing it and leaving the USA and performing these duties it would jeaopardize her residency here.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I searched around and could not find answers regarding this issue if it even is one. My wife who has her 10 year green card will file her N-400 this coming November 2014, I'm not worried about her residency here as she has not left the country for nearly 18 months and pays taxes and we have joint acccounts etc.

My concern is myself as I am out of the country alot, sometimes for months at a time, taking care of business in 'her homeland' as she is unable to return much.

Question: will my absence be of a concern during the interview? Is there a possibilty the Office can claim our marriage is not valid as I'm not always here? But I must make a living and support my wife it just so happens that I'm gone alot. Everything is normal, should I be concerned?

This only comes up if you bring it up. What you are doing seems to be what many do in the course of life in the USA. You are a legitimate married couple and that's all that matters.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Your are living as a couple, you just have an unconventional job that requires you to travel... You are not "residing" elsewhere... And the USC need not be present during the process... You should be fine... They don't ask how much the USC spouse is out of the country, only how much the GC holder was out...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.