C2C

How to delay case complete or interview at NVC

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing great and getting closer to the end of the journey.

I have a particular situation I would like your help with. We are currently at NVC waiting for case complete. However something unexpected has come up and we would like to delay the process, but I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done so far along in the process.

I know earlier on we could've have delayed by delaying submitting the forms and paperwork, but not sure if there's anything that can be done at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing great and getting closer to the end of the journey.

I have a particular situation I would like your help with. We are currently at NVC waiting for case complete. However something unexpected has come up and we would like to delay the process, but I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done so far along in the process.

I know earlier on we could've have delayed by delaying submitting the forms and paperwork, but not sure if there's anything that can be done at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

How long do you want to delay? Cause, you still need to get a case complete. If July 7th was the last date you sent a package, that should be coming up this week (if you don't get a checklist). Then getting an interview date scheduled may take a couple weeks. Then, barring any checklist, your interview will likely be in October. And from there, once you get your visa, you'll have about 6 months validity to do POE. And depending on what your reason is, you can still do POE to get the green card/SSN process started, then return back to Canada (as long as it's not that much longer after).

• 1 month later...

How long do you want to delay? Cause, you still need to get a case complete. If July 7th was the last date you sent a package, that should be coming up this week (if you don't get a checklist). Then getting an interview date scheduled may take a couple weeks. Then, barring any checklist, your interview will likely be in October. And from there, once you get your visa, you'll have about 6 months validity to do POE. And depending on what your reason is, you can still do POE to get the green card/SSN process started, then return back to Canada (as long as it's not that much longer after).

Hi Saylin,

Thank you so much for your response to my question. We have waited to see how things work out, but due to school and work reasons we won't be able to make the move for a while longer. I have been looking and browsing around trying to find out more information about how to change the interview date (right now it is set for Oct.23) and postpone hopefully indefinitely for now (although I don't even know if that it possible). Do you have any insight on if/ how to make this work? We are just trying not to have to just cancel the interview and then have to start all over once we are ready for the move.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Lina

You can cancel the interview. You don't have to start all over, the I-130 won't expire, but it will be sent into records where you may have to pay for it to be pulled eventually. But your IV invoice fee is only valid for 1 year, just be aware of that.

It's too bad you didn't make the NVC aware that you needed to postpone before the interview date was set. You likely could have delayed there for at least a year.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hi NLR,

Thanks for the prompt response and the useful information. It has been quite changing and unexpected. Wished we had known earlier ourselves and dragged it along at NVC. It's great to know the I-130 won't expire. It sucks that we may have to pay the fees again, but not that big of a deal.

Thanks again!

In the end you may find it cheaper to start over than pull the old I-130 out of storage. You can make that decision when the time comes I suppose. Best of luck to you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

NLR,

Thanks again for the insight. Money would not be a big of a deal as having to wait another year to go through the process. Do you know which route has the possibility of being shorter in the end?

Last but not least, to cancel the interview I would contact (phone or email) the consulate directly, right?

Thanks

NLR,

Thanks again for the insight. Money would not be a big of a deal as having to wait another year to go through the process. Do you know which route has the possibility of being shorter in the end?

Last but not least, to cancel the interview I would contact (phone or email) the consulate directly, right?

Thanks

The fastest? Not sure to be honest but yes you have to contact the consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.