semi-immigrant

Canadian passport and green card

48 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Canada
Timeline

My advice, is at least get US/State plates on your vehicles, US/State drivers license, etc. Establish as many ties to the US as you can.

Thanks. It makes sense.

Here is the practical advice I found from another immigation lawyer.

Our firm often advises clients to consider applying for a reentry permit if either (a) they are likely to be abroad for one year or more straight, (b) they are likely to be abroad for more than 6 months straight for two or more years in a row; or © they have been warned by CBP that they are at risk of abandonment.

http://lawandborder.com/risk-abandoning-green-card-abroad-6-months/

Let us look at ©. It means the following: If you visit the US every 4-5 months, don't bother about reentry permit unless you were warned by a CBP officer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems to me that you want to be told that you can live in Canada and keep your Green Card and everytime someone posts that it is a bad idea, you clutch at more and more straws as to show what you are doing is OK.

If you have a Green Card, you live in the US and can visit other countries, if this will be for an extended period, you can apply for a reentry permit. You cannot live elsewhere and visit the US because you are a US resident not a visitor.

But you have been told this numerous times and really don't want to hear it.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

Thanks. It makes sense.

Here is the practical advice I found from another immigation lawyer.

Our firm often advises clients to consider applying for a reentry permit if either (a) they are likely to be abroad for one year or more straight, (b) they are likely to be abroad for more than 6 months straight for two or more years in a row; or © they have been warned by CBP that they are at risk of abandonment.

http://lawandborder.com/risk-abandoning-green-card-abroad-6-months/

Let us look at ©. It means the following: If you visit the US every 4-5 months, don't bother about reentry permit unless you were warned by a CBP officer.

I think you are misinterpreting it. What i understand of it is this: once you legally reside in the US, if you need/plan to be out of the country for an extended period of time, you need a reentry permit so you do not lose your GC.

A visit once/twice a year do not count as residing in the States. Owning a house or having a lease, working, paying taxes, having US car plates, etc etc and being PHYSICALLY present in the States is what residence means.

I wish you the best and hope you don't run into issues!

Timeline

It seems to me that you want to be told that you can live in Canada and keep your Green Card and everytime someone posts that it is a bad idea, you clutch at more and more straws as to show what you are doing is OK.

I don't need someone lecturing me. I am an adult person.

Thanks to that immigrant lawyer I have found a practical advice.

Btw, two immigrant lawyers I cited above are specializing in this kind of services. Their clients are Asian (mostly Chinese) businessmen who are in similar situation.

Timeline

Really it does not matter what we think---or what you think....all it takes is for 1 USA Immigration agent to stop you at the border.....And you will loose the Green card on the spot!! And then you can pay more $$$$$ to hire those immigration lawyers! If your soo certain..next time U cross into the USA--tell the Immigration official the WHOLE complete story....he may care...he may not....Being cdn they may turn the other cheek! Make sure u have a good tax accountant as well.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you POE with a CR1 OR IR1 you immediately have a green card, just not the hard copy. You can apply for an SSN within 2 weeks. You will either get it automatically or the SAVE database will have you on file by that time. EI will probably help while looking for a job plus you can find a temporary position anywhere (or use a temp company) while looking for a more permanent career.

All of these things you need to plan and discuss with your spouse. I actually made almost as much in EI as I did my first few pay checks down here because I had to restart at minimum wage and I was quite above it when I left Alberta.

My spouse and I spent a lot of time discussing the finances before we even sent the I-130. We're more financially stable in the USA because of his job. Had it been the other way around, he would have moved to Canada, and almost did until his current employment. Maybe you guys need to discuss it more. You can always slow down the NVC to save money if you feel you need more savings. Plus you have 6 months after the medical to endorse the visa and become an LPR.

Hi NLR, I am in the same situation and trying to go easy on NVC to save up some money before I move down. Can you please elaborate on "you have 6 months after the medical to endorse the visa and become an LPR." ? AFAIK, CR1 visa are valid 6 months and I can POE anytime within 6 months of visa issue date. Do I have to move to states within 6 months of my medical date or visa issuance date? Thanks in advance.

Timeline

all it takes is for 1 USA Immigration agent to stop you at the border.....And you will loose the Green card on the spot!!

Not on the spot, but you are right of course. All it takes is one jerk to ruin your life. Smart comment. Thanks.

Timeline

Not on the spot, but you are right of course. All it takes is one jerk to ruin your life. Smart comment. Thanks.

I guess I'm wrong.....if you do a search here on VJ...you will see others have had it taken away when they have re-entered the USA. Maybe they are lying.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hi NLR, I am in the same situation and trying to go easy on NVC to save up some money before I move down. Can you please elaborate on "you have 6 months after the medical to endorse the visa and become an LPR." ? AFAIK, CR1 visa are valid 6 months and I can POE anytime within 6 months of visa issue date. Do I have to move to states within 6 months of my medical date or visa issuance date? Thanks in advance.

The 6 month validity is not from the issue date, it's from the medical date. That's why most of us have our medicals as close as possible to the interview. Some of the medicals take 2 weeks to get back, others take a few days, it all depends on the place.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I guess I'm wrong.....if you do a search here on VJ...you will see others have had it taken away when they have re-entered the USA. Maybe they are lying.

I read about the procedure. According to immigration lawyers, you can either give it up voluntarily or be sent to an immigration judge. Perhaps, they agreed to abandon it voluntarily.

Timeline

I read about the procedure. According to immigration lawyers, you can either give it up voluntarily or be sent to an immigration judge. Perhaps, they agreed to abandon it voluntarily.

Although that may be true, it is not necessarily practised by the guys at the border. But hey I'd love to know how you're going to convince an immigration judge that you are a US resident.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

But hey I'd love to know how you're going to convince an immigration judge that you are a US resident.

You will have time to prepare. Perhaps, one should use an immigration lawyer in this situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.