CitizenJ

Proof of U.S. Citizenship/Proof of Marriage

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hi, there a couple of things on the I-130 that I find kind of ambiguous. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help clear things up for me because I'm not sure who to ask.

2zqdkw1.jpg

I'm not 100% sure weather all 5 things listed or just 1 of the 5 things listed are necessary to provide. After number 4, I see it says "or" so I'm guessing this implies it's necessary to provide documents 1-3 and 4 or 5. I was not born in the U.S. so I guess I would have to provide documents 2-3 and 4 or 5. Is all of this correct? I'm not very sure and am nervous about not having everything I should have.

2po5r1g.jpg

I also want to ensure that I'm reading this part of the instructions correctly. After E, F, G, H, and I, I see it says "or" so again I'm guessing that this implies it's necessary to provide documents A-D and one of E-I. Is this correct?

Like I said, I'd really appreciate if anyone could help clear up any of this stuff for me. I just want to make sure I do everything correctly. Thanks a lot.

Edited by CitizenJ

timeline in layman's terms:

Submitted I-130 (in person) - September 16th, 2014

I-130 Approved - November 12th, 2014

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Submitted documents to bank - December 4th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi, there a couple of things on the I-130 that I find kind of ambiguous. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help clear things up for me because I'm not sure who to ask.

I'm not 100% sure weather all 5 things listed or just 1 of the 5 things listed are necessary to provide. After number 4, I see it says "or" so I'm guessing this implies it's necessary to provide documents 1-3 and 4 or 5. I was not born in the U.S. so I guess I would have to provide documents 2-3 and 4 or 5. Is all of this correct? I'm not very sure and am nervous about not having everything I should have.

Only need 1.

I also want to ensure that I'm reading this part of the instructions correctly. After E, F, G, H, and I, I see it says "or" so again I'm guessing that this implies it's necessary to provide documents A-D and one of E-I. Is this correct?

A,C, and D are required; B is only required if it's applicable. Only need one of E-I, most couples will not have E-H so the focus is usually on items covered under I. If you have E-H, then throw it in if you wise, otherwise, don't worry about such items.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

US citizenship: you just need one of those.

Marriage: You are correct. However, many people "front load", ie provide all or as much of the proof of bonafide marriage as they can.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thanks a lot guys. Ya, I saw the note in the "Proving Family Relationship" section that said "you should submit one or more of the following" so I was pretty confident about that one - just wanted to make sure. I was mainly just curious about the "Proof of U.S. Citizenship" section. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Only need one of E-I, most couples will not have E-H so the focus is usually on items covered under I. If you have E-H, then throw it in if you wise, otherwise, don't worry about such items.

I see. Thanks. What's the minimum number of affidavits you think it'd be acceptable to present to the USCIS?

Marriage: many people "front load", ie provide all or as much of the proof of bonafide marriage as they can.

I'm assuming that the people who "front load" do so because it makes the entire application proccess go smoother. Is this correct?

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It can do, yes. In some consulates, they don;t really look at evidence you bring to interview.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I see. Thanks. What's the minimum number of affidavits you think it'd be acceptable to present to the USCIS?

None, they're not required and carry little to zero weight in the overall review of a file. Focus on evidence of time spent together in-person.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

None, they're not required and carry little to zero weight in the overall review of a file. Focus on evidence of time spent together in-person.

I do not have items E-H though. All my wife and I have is pictures but it looks like that won't suffice for the petition process. I'm actually kind of worried about the later stages of this visa process. My wife and I don't even have any evidence of online chats.

Timeline

I do not have items E-H though. All my wife and I have is pictures but it looks like that won't suffice for the petition process. I'm actually kind of worried about the later stages of this visa process. My wife and I don't even have any evidence of online chats.

How many trips have you taken together? How many times have you visited? Do you have boarding passes, passport entry and exit stamps? Receipts? Think outside the box. The only thing USCIS truly requires from you is a copy of the marriage certificate, anything else is evidence to support your case, you have what you have and don't have what you don't have.

Our journey:

Spoiler

This thread has many ideas and some discussion: link. It might be of help to you.

As previously suggested, think about how you might show that you are acting as spouses do. You might not have everything on the list, but that is not surprising for a couple that has never lived in the same country. Think about what you might have to show time spent together (in person and communicating), commingling of lives, planning for the future, etc.

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Timeline

How many trips have you taken together? How many times have you visited? Do you have boarding passes, passport entry and exit stamps? Receipts? Think outside the box. The only thing USCIS truly requires from you is a copy of the marriage certificate, anything else is evidence to support your case, you have what you have and don't have what you don't have.

I see. Those are some good suggestions. I didn't even think about passport stamps. Thanks.

This thread has many ideas and some discussion: link. It might be of help to you.

As previously suggested, think about how you might show that you are acting as spouses do. You might not have everything on the list, but that is not surprising for a couple that has never lived in the same country. Think about what you might have to show time spent together (in person and communicating), commingling of lives, planning for the future, etc.

Will check out the link. Thanks.

Edited by CitizenJ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.