AbuA

What country of birth do I put in passport application

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Here is a complicated issue I am having. I was born in Palestine- west bank.

Now I filling out a passport application but I was told that the state department doesn't allow you to put Palestine as a place of birth. My naturalization certificate says Jordan as place of birth. I was wondering if any one every had the same experience and succeeded in putting Palestine as place of birth. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If your naturalization certificate says Jordan, why not put Jordan? Is your birth certificate from Jordan or Palestine?

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

I understand and sympathise with your conundrum on this issue, but just this time, I would set aside my justifiably ideological pride and indicate Jordan as a previous response suggested.

Good luck!

I don't want your suffering! I don't want your future!
I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 20th August, 2014)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Application Dispatched to USCIS
30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Application
31-MAR-14: N-400 Application Received by USCIS
31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated
31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS
07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched
07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated
14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment
29-MAY-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

05-JUN-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

06-JUN-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated
11-JUN-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Initial Interview - Decision Could Not Be Made
16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Requested to supply specific evidence documentation
17-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview - Follow-up Interview
17-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview - Specific evidence documentation submitted in person during follow-up interview

21-JUL-14: Application for Naturalisation approved

22-JUL-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

07-AUG-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled (Judicial Oath Ceremony)

07-AUG-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated
09-AUG-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

15-AUG-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

15-AUG-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

19-AUG-14: US Passport Received

Refer to page 11, part g and onwards on the link below. The dept of state has procedures regarding the status of certain countries, territories, and other jurisdictions. You may be able to have your city of birth listed instead, but they do warn that you may have problems entering some foreign countries.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/94675.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Here is a complicated issue I am having. I was born in Palestine- west bank.

Now I filling out a passport application but I was told that the state department doesn't allow you to put Palestine as a place of birth. My naturalization certificate says Jordan as place of birth. I was wondering if any one every had the same experience and succeeded in putting Palestine as place of birth. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Refer to page 11, part g and onwards on the link below. The dept of state has procedures regarding the status of certain countries, territories, and other jurisdictions. You may be able to have your city of birth listed instead, but they do warn that you may have problems entering some foreign countries.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/94675.pdf

Please refer to the link that Ian H. provided - page 11 part c.

The State Department makes special accommodation for people born is certain disputed or unrecognized (by the US) areas. This includes people born in Palestine.

If you were born prior to 1948, you are allowed to list Palestine as your country of birth. If you were born after 1948, you cannot.

If you were born after 1948, you can either have West Bank listed as your place of birth or you can have the city in which you born, for example Jenin.

See the table on page 12 part i of the link provided above.

It'll show you that the default entry would be West Bank, but you can request to have the city of birth listed instead.

Many countries list city and not country of birth on their passports, so this won't be a problem when you're traveling.

My advice would be that, if possible, you apply at a Passport Office and not at a post office just in case there are any issues with the having a different country of birth on the Naturalization Certificate. I think you should attach a letter explaining your request as well as a copy of the two pages of the State Department document with the relevant sections highlighted. And of course, list your preference of either West Bank or city of birth on the application.

You really shouldn't have any issues, but they do make mistakes and there's a chance that they'll just out Jordan down on your passport and you'll have to speak to someone to get it changed.

I assume that you have a Jordanian-issued birth certificate and that's the issue, but State Department rules differ from USCIS rules and you are clearly allowed to have either West Bank or your city of birth listed.

Good luck! I'd love to hear how this works out.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

I was intrigued by your question, so I did a little research online and found several cases of people born in Palestine getting something else listed on their passports regardless of what they put down in their applications. In the cases I read about, they simply mailed the passport back and demanded that the State Department comply with its own rules and in each of those cases they got new, corrected passports in a couple of weeks. One case was of a man born in 1941 who asked to have Israel changed to Palestine on his passport. The others were all born after 1948 and asked for the passport to be corrected with either Gaza, West Bank, or the City of Birth (within modern-day Israel or within Gaza or the West Bank). Just Google "US Passport Place of Birth Palestine" and you'll find a few stories. The State Department does, however, appear to be very strict about not listing Palestine for people born after 1948.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

When I initially got my green card I was given Jordan as my country of birth. So I wrote to USCIS and contested it asking them to change it to Palestine. They answered me by saying congress doesn't allow it.

I read the guidelines of the state department and it looks like I can put West Bank or city of birth. - Thank you so much for guiding me to that document.

Now, my naturalization certificate says "Jordan" though, is there going to be issues down the road if I ignored that and put West Bank on the passport? In other words, the passport will says West Bank and the certificate will says Jordan. Or what complications could arise if I keep it as Jordan and my original birth certificate will say West Bank.

Sorry for the questions- I am trying to avoid all possible complications down the road.

Thank you again.

It shouldn't cause complications because your naturalization cert practically becomes a frame on the wall once you have your US passport. The only time you would need it again is if you lose your passport and would use it to get a replacement.

Also they should be aware of their own policies. The USCIS is a different governmental agency so, as mentioned above, they seem to have different rules about this. You can find out with USCIS if it's possible to have a different place of birth listed on your naturalization cert.

When I initially got my green card I was given Jordan as my country of birth. So I wrote to USCIS and contested it asking them to change it to Palestine. They answered me by saying congress doesn't allow it.

I read the guidelines of the state department and it looks like I can put West Bank or city of birth. - Thank you so much for guiding me to that document.

Now, my naturalization certificate says "Jordan" though, is there going to be issues down the road if I ignored that and put West Bank on the passport? In other words, the passport will says West Bank and the certificate will says Jordan. Or what complications could arise if I keep it as Jordan and my original birth certificate will say West Bank.

Sorry for the questions- I am trying to avoid all possible complications down the road.

Thank you again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Alamro, just put Jordan. I mean, it's just a means to an end, right? It doesn't make you any less Palestinian at the end of the day. It's like the oath ceremony, when you have to disavow any association with any other land. I have a British friend that woun't become a U.S. citizen because he point blank refuses to speak the words necessitated in the swearing of the oath. Why?? Is it going to make him any less British?? Is it going to erase his birth and upbringing? Is it bollocks! He'll always be a Brit in his heart just like you'll always be a Palestinian - there's no "betrayal" issue here if that's what you're worried about. ;-)

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Alamro, just put Jordan. I mean, it's just a means to an end, right? It doesn't make you any less Palestinian at the end of the day. It's like the oath ceremony, when you have to disavow any association with any other land. I have a British friend that woun't become a U.S. citizen because he point blank refuses to speak the words necessitated in the swearing of the oath. Why?? Is it going to make him any less British?? Is it going to erase his birth and upbringing? Is it bollocks! He'll always be a Brit in his heart just like you'll always be a Palestinian - there's no "betrayal" issue here if that's what you're worried about. ;-)

OP, I agree with this also. It's unfortunate, but nothing changes in your heart,

and just using Jordan seems to be the simplest solution at this time.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It shouldn't cause complications because your naturalization cert practically becomes a frame on the wall once you have your US passport. The only time you would need it again is if you lose your passport and would use it to get a replacement.

Also they should be aware of their own policies. The USCIS is a different governmental agency so, as mentioned above, they seem to have different rules about this. You can find out with USCIS if it's possible to have a different place of birth listed on your naturalization cert.

Though don't you send your Naturalization Certificate when you apply for the US Passport the first time. There won't be any issues for renewal of a passport, but won't the State Department question why the Naturalization Certificate indicates Jordan when the applicant indicated something else on the passport application?

If you refer to the link I posted earlier, the dept of state has a different policy regarding place of birth on the passport. They allow people who come from disputed or unrecognized territories to put something else as place of birth, so they would be aware of the situation when a person in that situation applies for a passport.

Though don't you send your Naturalization Certificate when you apply for the US Passport the first time. There won't be any issues for renewal of a passport, but won't the State Department question why the Naturalization Certificate indicates Jordan when the applicant indicated something else on the passport application?

Timeline

There's absolutely no reason for the OP to put Jordan on his application... he wasn't born there... Jordan likely didn't administer the area when he was born (I'm taking a wild guess at his age) and Jordan doesn't administer the area today. It would be like asking a Ukrainian born in 1995 to list USSR as his place of birth.

But it's not even an issue of arguing with the State Department since their rules clearly allow the OP to list West Bank or his city of birth, so that's what he should do in compliance with their guidelines.

There's no risk or hassle involved.

It seems to make sense to just put city as a place of birth which will be in west bank according to the state department guidelines.. However, this will create conflict between the naturalization certificate which says Jordan. Question is, once a US citizen, would I ever need to show my Palestinian certificate down there road?

Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.