averageguy6

Embassy IV unit does not get their mail?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm at a but of a loss.

For the final step for our K1, after 1 year and a 601 waiver, in early July the embassy issued a 221(g) by email and wanted my tax 2013 return, new I134, and for some reason new photos of my fiancee.

We sent these off July 23....13 days ago. They were signed for by the embassy security guard according to the post.

Despite this, I asked them by email, as did my senator what was the hold up..... (I had asked the senator for help weeks ago and they just got around to it) and embassy responded to me and to my senator, they can issue the visa as soon as they get (and approve of) those documents. So basically the embassy made it appear to the senator that it was my fault for not supplying the documents. Hmm....

Here we are August 4th (5th already at the Embassy) and they state they don't have it. (have not heard from them but CEAC still at August 1 last update denied)

Argh! The other issue is that so many people have had their documents lost. My lawyers clients and several people I see here.

Im going to ask my attorney there to send the 3 items again this afternoon

... but if they don't have it by next Monday, Im temped to send the documents again and again every day util they say they go them! I will take photos of this process so that I can prove to my senator that I sent copies every day.

This is maddening. What can one do when you do everything on your part and you get this kind of answer. It feels like being trapped in a no way out situation.

Ive read stories of others saying that they have mailed items up to 4 times.....on the other hand they got her passport and medical and replied to us in only 5 days.

This is literally the last step after 1 year of this K1 process....and its all depending upon the mail room at the embassy doing their job (apparently they sort and scan paperwork and security screen all mail now..which I dont think is helping).

Any other ideas?

This is really urgent. I have got to get this finished up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm at a but of a loss.

For the final step for our K1, after 1 year and a 601 waiver, in early July the embassy issued a 221(g) by email and wanted my tax 2013 return, new I134, and for some reason new photos of my fiancee.

We sent these off July 23....13 days ago. They were signed for by the embassy security guard according to the post.

Despite this, I asked them by email, as did my senator what was the hold up..... (I had asked the senator for help weeks ago and they just got around to it) and embassy responded to me and to my senator, they can issue the visa as soon as they get (and approve of) those documents. So basically the embassy made it appear to the senator that it was my fault for not supplying the documents. Hmm....

Here we are August 4th (5th already at the Embassy) and they state they don't have it. (have not heard from them but CEAC still at August 1 last update denied)

Argh! The other issue is that so many people have had their documents lost. My lawyers clients and several people I see here.

Im going to ask my attorney there to send the 3 items again this afternoon

... but if they don't have it by next Monday, Im temped to send the documents again and again every day util they say they go them! I will take photos of this process so that I can prove to my senator that I sent copies every day.

This is maddening. What can one do when you do everything on your part and you get this kind of answer. It feels like being trapped in a no way out situation.

Ive read stories of others saying that they have mailed items up to 4 times.....on the other hand they got her passport and medical and replied to us in only 5 days.

This is literally the last step after 1 year of this K1 process....and its all depending upon the mail room at the embassy doing their job (apparently they sort and scan paperwork and security screen all mail now..which I dont think is helping).

Any other ideas?

This is really urgent. I have got to get this finished up.

I wish I had a good answer for you. This seems to happen a lot with them losing mail. There was another member that had a police report sent from Singapore a few months ago. It took them a month after it was delivered for them to find it.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Timeline

You're not going to like this answer -- but.....

Yes, all incoming mail into an Embassy/Consulate is received at a central mail room and scanned in an outside facility prior to being allowed into the main building. Too many "white powder"/anthrax scares that required investigation/decontamination. The mail then needs to be sorted to the proper section of the Embassy and delivered there or picked up. At a large Embassy like Bangkok, that, too, can take a day or so.

Now for the really bad part -- your envelope, once delivered, is likely one of hundreds that are received during the week. They will open the mail and eventually match the incoming information to your file -- but that's not an immediate process. It's not like they open one envelop, go get that file, give it to a visa officer who reviews the documents on the spot, makes a determination, and immediately processes the application. They, more likely, open all of the mail, pull all of the files, and put a pile of files on the visa officer's desk for review as there is time to do it. All of this needs to be done by the same people that are organizing files for and interviewing the new applicants who come in each and every day. So -- it can take some time (I've heard of it taking a month or more to review a case once documents are received).

I know you're impatient after your long process -- but hang in there...sounds like you're approaching the end!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you, this is correct I believe you 100%

Here is what our local attorney who deals with them all the time says...

BOTH GO TO SAME ADDRESS

1) New interview packets - always received never lost....interview scheduled within a week

2) anyone needing anything AFTER THE INTERVIEW....in last few months 100% LOST.....(maybe not lost but just taking a long time, and the IV unit tells you "we dont have it" so we assume its lost and send it again.

Of course this is not fair as it basically means the longer your wait......the longer you wait...

2 months post waiver approval now...2 weeks post first attempt at new sending taxes, new I134, and new photos...yesterday second set of documents sent...my senator inquired ....answer...we dont have it.....when we have it if it meets our approval we will approve the visa....

It would be ok if I felt it was fair and in order...but clearly its not. And hearing 2 people from my attorney office had lost passports (one was found 2 months later with no explanation repeat interview and approved)....other passport apparently lost....wow.

But the process is clearly different for new packets and followup info...and the officer can take their time like you say with follow up info there is no rush....

ARGH!

And a MONTH would be GREAT NEWS...its already been delivered there 2 weeks ago, and again yesterday.

Thank you for the excellent info an reply. It makes sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.