13 posts in this topic

Hi :)

Posted this in the K-1 section, but it was suggested that I post here.

My fiance has a DUI charge from 20 years ago. He was given a criminal record check back from the RCMP (not a police certificate). The record checks says that the individual "may or may not have a criminal record". We have received the court record from that charge. Initially, we had contacted a representative at the national call center and asked what we should do about the charge, if we needed fingerprints, etc. We were told that we did not need fingerprints, that we should follow Packet 3 instructions and obtain the court record. My fiance also consulated an immigration attorney who told him the same thing. Well, on December 7, after talking with others waiting at the medical exam, my fiance decided to doublecheck re: fingerprints needed and contacted the Vancouver consulate. He was told then that he did need fingerprints, so my fiance had them done. We then received an interview date of January 30. I called the consulate to ask what to do if the fingerprints weren't available. I was told that we should not have been told that we HAD to have fingerprints, that requiring fingerprints would be at the discretion of the consular officer. So we decided that we would keep the appointment, go in with all other documentation complete and see what the officer said about needing fingerprints. We were also hoping that we would have the fingerprint results back now. I had gotten some feedback that getting fingerprints had taken others about 6 weeks. Well, the 6 weeks are up, have received nothing and, when my fiance called to check on the fingerprint status, he was told that there is a HUGE backlog now, wait times are in excess of 150 days and they have not even begun processing the December fingerprints yet.

Obviously, we would love for the consulate to approve the visa without having to get the fingerprints. I know that probably will not happen. Is there anything that we can do to help us at the interview on the 30th or to expedite this?

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi :)

Posted this in the K-1 section, but it was suggested that I post here.

My fiance has a DUI charge from 20 years ago. He was given a criminal record check back from the RCMP (not a police certificate). The record checks says that the individual "may or may not have a criminal record". We have received the court record from that charge. Initially, we had contacted a representative at the national call center and asked what we should do about the charge, if we needed fingerprints, etc. We were told that we did not need fingerprints, that we should follow Packet 3 instructions and obtain the court record. My fiance also consulated an immigration attorney who told him the same thing. Well, on December 7, after talking with others waiting at the medical exam, my fiance decided to doublecheck re: fingerprints needed and contacted the Vancouver consulate. He was told then that he did need fingerprints, so my fiance had them done. We then received an interview date of January 30. I called the consulate to ask what to do if the fingerprints weren't available. I was told that we should not have been told that we HAD to have fingerprints, that requiring fingerprints would be at the discretion of the consular officer. So we decided that we would keep the appointment, go in with all other documentation complete and see what the officer said about needing fingerprints. We were also hoping that we would have the fingerprint results back now. I had gotten some feedback that getting fingerprints had taken others about 6 weeks. Well, the 6 weeks are up, have received nothing and, when my fiance called to check on the fingerprint status, he was told that there is a HUGE backlog now, wait times are in excess of 150 days and they have not even begun processing the December fingerprints yet.

Obviously, we would love for the consulate to approve the visa without having to get the fingerprints. I know that probably will not happen. Is there anything that we can do to help us at the interview on the 30th or to expedite this?

That sounds about the same as the wait in Ontario for RCMP fingerprint results. Are digital prints available in his area? Those are supposed to process in 72 hours if you can find an RCMP location with the equipment that is actually functioning. Just a thought.

That sounds about the same as the wait in Ontario for RCMP fingerprint results. Are digital prints available in his area? Those are supposed to process in 72 hours if you can find an RCMP location with the equipment that is actually functioning. Just a thought.

Did not know about the digital prints unless .. do you mean at the Commissaires? We had looked into that originally, but had been told that the difference in processing time was not that drastic .... we will definitely check into it more.

I am not sure I can help you because I live in Denmark and was told that the fingerprints will be send together with my form I-601 to London where my case will be decided.

They took fingerprints on me another day after the interview, and the old fashion way with ink.

This cost me $85

After they saw my court record they wanted me to fill out this form, and called this a crime of moral turpitude.

My police record don't show anything since my conviction is 13 years ago.

I have noticed that other countries sometimes do everything another way and so much more waiting time on everything.

Forgive me if this is not an answer to your question

Sweetie

usa01.gif

Mike and Anettedk04.gif

03-07-07 Anette arrived in San Diego on a K-1 Visa

04-04-07 Married in Las Vegas

lovebirds.gif

AOS

06-01-07 Mailed AOS/AP to NBC

06-12-07 Recieved NOA by mail for AOS

07-10-07 Biometric appointment for AOS

08-03-07 AOS touched after they recieved RFE

08-14-07 Approval notice on AP is sent

08-18-07 Approval notice on AP recieved

09-07-07 Recieved Interview date by mail

10-23-07 AOS Interview / Approved

10-24-07 Card production ordered

10-29-07 Welcome Letter recieved

11-02-07 Greencard recieved

Remove Condition

08-05-09 Mailed I-751 to CSC

08-10-09 NOA1 Receipt date

08-15-09 Recieved NOA1 by mail

08-20-09 Recieved BIO date by mail

09-04-09 Biometric Appointment

09-08-09 Touch

11-25-09 Card production ordered

12-03-09 Approval Letter recieved

12-04-09 Greencard recieved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

DUI wasn't a CIMT for Stewart. He got it in America, but supplied ALL the paperwork, including proof that he completed the assigned "treatment" and everything.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Did not know about the digital prints unless .. do you mean at the Commissaires? We had looked into that originally, but had been told that the difference in processing time was not that drastic .... we will definitely check into it more.

That would be what I would do. Here's the site with more information. There's a location in Vancouver, too. You might not be able to get the prints done by the time he has his interview, but it should be faster.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That would be what I would do. Here's the site with more information. There's a location in Vancouver, too. You might not be able to get the prints done by the time he has his interview, but it should be faster.

Exactly the route to take. Worth checking it out if nothing else. Good luck.

Thanks everyone! The fiance is heading to the Commissionaires first thing tomorrow morning :)

Excellent. Let us know what turns up!

AOS

-

Okay, so the fiance went to the Commissionaires this morning. He was told that the computers in Ottawa are down and have been for a couple days. The technician said that they were supposed to be fixed today and suggested that my fiance come back in the morning. When my fiance asked what the difference was in wait times for digital vs. regular fingerprints, he was told that the digital fingerprints get results in 4-6 weeks and the regular system takes 4-6 months. The Commissionaires tech also said that, in the spring, the system will only take 72 hours for results.

Fiance and I are kicking ourselves now because, when he had planned on getting the fingerprints done, he was at his home on a Gulf Island. To get to the closest Commissionaires would have taken 1 1/2 hours or so. I called and spoke to someone at the Commissionaires who said the difference in times was due to digitally transmitting vs. mailing fingerprints. They said that it was not a huge difference (obviously they were new on the job or something!). So, we decided that my fiance would get the regular prints done at his local RCMP. Really wish we had gone the Commissionaires route.

Oh well, you live and you learn during this lovely process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sh#t! I never thought it would take this long. I looked at what they sent me back to see if there was a phone number you could call. No number. I am wondering if you could email them at the RCMP website to see if they could help you and speed it up at all.

Sh#t! I never thought it would take this long. I looked at what they sent me back to see if there was a phone number you could call. No number. I am wondering if you could email them at the RCMP website to see if they could help you and speed it up at all.

Stace,

He called last week to check on the status and was told that they haven't even begun processing December prints, that the RCMP was majorly backlogged because there are tons of people seeking pardons at this time. ARGH!!! Just cross your fingers for us :)

Hang in there. And best of luck and thanks for reporting back.

AOS

-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.