de3wcfan

Anyone here a U.S. Petitioner trying to bring fiance from Canada?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yes we paid him a 900$ retainer fee for the first half of the k1, he wants another 900 when we file the adjustment of status.. it states in our contract that the first 900 goes towards all filing of paperwork necessary for the k1 visa. My fiance and I have done everything ourselfs ever since we got his I-129 approval. I have copies of all the unanswered emails and questions we have asked him. I dont care about the money, it's already eating our pockets! I just care about this happening to other people in the future and if I mess up any paperwork, I'm not very whitty with legal jumbo. We plan on making complaints about him and hopefully revoking his license

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been removed for being completely irrelevant to the OP's request. Please avoid spamming the forums, or administrative action might be taken.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

yes we paid him a 900$ retainer fee for the first half of the k1, he wants another 900 when we file the adjustment of status.. it states in our contract that the first 900 goes towards all filing of paperwork necessary for the k1 visa. My fiance and I have done everything ourselfs ever since we got his I-129 approval. I have copies of all the unanswered emails and questions we have asked him. I dont care about the money, it's already eating our pockets! I just care about this happening to other people in the future and if I mess up any paperwork, I'm not very whitty with legal jumbo. We plan on making complaints about him and hopefully revoking his license

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry you have to go through that.

This is not a cheap procedure at all and, since I'm currently unemployed, I have the time to deal with all the paperwork and forms and filing and baloney. I was thinking of starting a thread where we keep a running total of our costs. There are many things you don't necessarily think of when you get into this, like my long-form birth certificate just cost $38.75. And since I can't get hold of my immunization records, I'm looking at a whole shwack of cash to get turned into a pin cushion for some needle-happy doctor.

I'm very grumbly about it.

you do not need to pay cash for any of the vaccinations.

You can go to a walk in even and ask for a titre test (basically a test to show your immunity) to mumps, measles, rubella, varicella (but they accept a verbal chicken pox declaration), and just get a Tdap if you don't remember the last time you had one from your local health clinic. If any of the tests show you do not have immunity you can get the vaccination for free at the health clinic. The Tdap should be free as well. The only one that would cost any money may be the varicella. You only need MMR, TDaP, and Varicella (chicken pox.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

you do not need to pay cash for any of the vaccinations.

You can go to a walk in even and ask for a titre test (basically a test to show your immunity) to mumps, measles, rubella, varicella (but they accept a verbal chicken pox declaration), and just get a Tdap if you don't remember the last time you had one from your local health clinic. If any of the tests show you do not have immunity you can get the vaccination for free at the health clinic. The Tdap should be free as well. The only one that would cost any money may be the varicella. You only need MMR, TDaP, and Varicella (chicken pox.)

Not sure which province you lived in but in B.C., that simply isn't true. Vaccinations required for travel or immigration are not provided free of charge under the provincial immunization program.

Edited by thatangela

Not sure which province you lived in but in B.C., that simply isn't true. Vaccinations required for travel or immigration are not provided free of charge under the provincial immunization program.

I lived in Alberta but grew up in BC. Because BC health no longer had my immunization record either because of my age I couldn't prove I'd had the vaccinations without the titre tests and I wasn't about to get vaccinations for no reason at all when I knew I'd been fully vaccinated as a child.

So I know that if you went in to a travel or health clinic and said "hey I'm immigrating and I need vaccines" they wouldn't be free so I got my doctor to test me for immunity. I didn't have immunity to measles so I asked him to get the vaccinations for me. I took his note to the clinic and got the vaccination. The nurse informed me that even without the note from my doctor that the MMR was free because of my age, (early 30's) they tended to not give two vaccinations. I inquired about getting Tdap because I couldn't remember the last time I'd had the vaccination, at least since I was 14 likely, and because TD you are allowed every 5-10 years for free.

I'm not just spitting this info out for no reason at all. Plus others have followed my (and other's) advice about getting the immunity testing, and done JUST fine, without the extra costs.

But hey if you want to pay them. :) Be my guest.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If you're under 30, check to see if BC health still has your immunity records.

Hmmm, I got a free Tdap at a walk-in clinic in BC.

Timeline

That's cool. But everywhere I've looked so far in my location, it says I have to pay. Now if I get my test done and I don't have to pay for anything, I'll be all "Wahoo."

In the meantime, however, I am preparing - and budgeting - for the expense as I don't want to be caught off guard.

Fair?

Timeline

What ever you do make sure you get your medical exams done by a doctor who is certified by the embassy you will be interviewing at.. My fiance made it through today! All the paperwork was good accept we didnt go to a certified doctor, we chose one close to home who said he does immigration exams. Now we have to go spend another trip from windsor to toronto and the exam will cost another 300$. Not to mention the temporary residency permit I am going to need to enter Canada to drive him this time. After that we just have to send the results along with his passport to the loomis branch in London, then pick it up 5 business days later. Very relieved to know we were accepted. Makes all the last minute running around worth the frustration... Soon we will be gettin married woot woot!!!!!

The P4 (interview letter) you got should have told you to use a panel physician and who they are. If not that information should have been on there somewhere.

At least if you're on this site before the interview you can get it figured out, since we have all that information here. Sometimes DIY is better than a lawyer for these reasons. No one cares about this process like you do!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They should just list VJ on all all their official paperwork----save a lot of trouble for many!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Tdap, mmr etc aren't really travel vaccines - so always check with your doc.

Hi! Canadian now in the states (just came across less than a month ago). Any questions, always feel free to ask. And good luck with the lawyer. Yikes. Lodge a complaint with the law society where they are - I've worked with lawyers up in Canada and that's one entity you want to stay on their good side. I'm sure it's similar down south.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Tdap, mmr etc aren't really travel vaccines - so always check with your doc.

Hi! Canadian now in the states (just came across less than a month ago). Any questions, always feel free to ask. And good luck with the lawyer. Yikes. Lodge a complaint with the law society where they are - I've worked with lawyers up in Canada and that's one entity you want to stay on their good side. I'm sure it's similar down south.

This is what I thought. It's not like getting Hep A or something similar.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.