Hotter Otter

How long did it take you to feel at home in the US?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Kiki's is good! I'm very tempted by the big jug of Ribena they have there :P that was the main place I was going to suggest trying as they have a larger selection than anywhere else I've seen (flour, tinned steamed pudding, custard etc as well as the usual teabags and chocolate that other places carry) and the prices aren't as horrendous as they can be elsewhere. Hubby used to work in The Butcher's Block opposite, but it's shut down. It was owned by Irish owners so they had lots of recognisable treats. He now works in their other store in Dorchester which has a decent selection but it's a bit of a schlep, especially if you already know where Kiki's is ;) it's called The Butcher Shop Market if you're ever out that way.

Do you mean Elephant and Castle? I've been told to go there but haven't yet made the trip. Cornwall's in Kenmore has also been mentioned but it looked cheesy when I walked past, so didn't go in.

I came out here with a stash of those big Dairy Milk bars. Needless to say, they are all gone :( my super lovely husband replaces it with Cadburys bought at his job every so often though!

What happened to your money? Didja get it back?

I think I'll head out to Kiki's next week, I'm not driving here yet but I saw its not a huge walk from the green line. All my big Cadbury bars have gone too and my Devon fudge which is somewhat harder to replenish!

I'll look out for the market as I'm actually living in Dorchester, but I haven't seen it yet! Do they have British/Irish style bacon and sausages etc? I like Lamberts in Dorchester as they aren't too pricey for imported stuff and have good fresh produce too.

Yeah the Elephant and Castle, I wandered in there to watch the World Cup and they had Boddingtons, Newcastle Brown and even Spitfire on tap amongst others. The food was an interesting attempt to be British although to be fair to them it was tasty. Whatever it was!

I got my money back in the end, it took two weeks and it was very stressful as it was most of my savings so was definitely fretting about it. It's now in a US bank account. It got lost somewhere between the currency transfer company and the US bank and for a week the transfer company were saying they had no idea where it was!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

I think I'll head out to Kiki's next week, I'm not driving here yet but I saw its not a huge walk from the green line. All my big Cadbury bars have gone too and my Devon fudge which is somewhat harder to replenish!

I'll look out for the market as I'm actually living in Dorchester, but I haven't seen it yet! Do they have British/Irish style bacon and sausages etc? I like Lamberts in Dorchester as they aren't too pricey for imported stuff and have good fresh produce too.

Yeah the Elephant and Castle, I wandered in there to watch the World Cup and they had Boddingtons, Newcastle Brown and even Spitfire on tap amongst others. The food was an interesting attempt to be British although to be fair to them it was tasty. Whatever it was!

I got my money back in the end, it took two weeks and it was very stressful as it was most of my savings so was definitely fretting about it. It's now in a US bank account. It got lost somewhere between the currency transfer company and the US bank and for a week the transfer company were saying they had no idea where it was!

Oh great! The name is misleading, it's actually just a butcher's shop as opposed to what we think of as a market. Here's the website: http://www.butchershopmarket.com/

They definitely do sell our kinda bacon, sausages etc. I find their bacon a liiiittle bit thick and I have to add a little salt when I'm cooking it but it's still great. I'll have to check out Lamberts next time I'm over that way.

Oh wow. I'm glad you got your money back. Money was what stressed me out the most when I was moving!

I lived here for 8 years while in my 20's so I was familiar with many things but it didn't stop me from subjecting my lovely husband to a few rants in the first months about the useless paper heavy health insurance system and the useless banking service and the awful bacon and the horrible drivers here in Austin. It still has been an adjustment but I've moved cities and countries a lot and learning to get around and feeling like an outsider for various amounts of time is all second nature to me.

I do miss the NHS. Healthcare here is so f*cked up and I hate feeling afraid to ever actually need healthcare because going near it is such a headache.

Hey, if you're ever up in NH, out on the coast in Portsmouth NH is a place called the Coat of Arms. They've got some decent food (they even do mushy peas) and lots of British beer on tap. We were in the Elephant and Castle a few weeks back when our friends came out to visit. They stayed in Boston the first night and the Hotel was attached to the pub. We didn't eat there, but consumed more than a few beverages! If you can find a Shaws supermarket near you, they carry a bit of British food in their international aisle...HP Brown and Fruity, mushy peas, and some sweets among other things. Also, since I know Brits love their baked beans, Market Basket carries Heinz beans (the proper ones). We have a place near my mom's that does a great sausage (something I miss a lot because they are MUCH better in the UK) but they're a pain to get to and they run out quickly.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Oh great! The name is misleading, it's actually just a butcher's shop as opposed to what we think of as a market. Here's the website: http://www.butchershopmarket.com/

They definitely do sell our kinda bacon, sausages etc. I find their bacon a liiiittle bit thick and I have to add a little salt when I'm cooking it but it's still great. I'll have to check out Lamberts next time I'm over that way.

Oh wow. I'm glad you got your money back. Money was what stressed me out the most when I was moving!

Thanks for the tips, will definitely check them out.

Hey, if you're ever up in NH, out on the coast in Portsmouth NH is a place called the Coat of Arms. They've got some decent food (they even do mushy peas) and lots of British beer on tap. We were in the Elephant and Castle a few weeks back when our friends came out to visit. They stayed in Boston the first night and the Hotel was attached to the pub. We didn't eat there, but consumed more than a few beverages! If you can find a Shaws supermarket near you, they carry a bit of British food in their international aisle...HP Brown and Fruity, mushy peas, and some sweets among other things. Also, since I know Brits love their baked beans, Market Basket carries Heinz beans (the proper ones). We have a place near my mom's that does a great sausage (something I miss a lot because they are MUCH better in the UK) but they're a pain to get to and they run out quickly.

You are lucky living in NH, we spent our honeymoon up there and it was great :)

Thanks for all the advice and sharing of your own experiences, It's funny because when I'm with my wife it's like we are permanently on honeymoon and like we've lived together forever at the same time, it's great. When I'm out and about on my own I feel conspicuous because of my accent (hate it when people can't understand me) and I feel like a right nob at crosswalks etc as I always seem to do the wrong thing lol. I'm sure I will get used to it given time and I know that there's things that are better than the UK and things that are worse and I need to stop comparing. Must say I agree with the being afraid of getting ill part because of US healthcare though. When I'm ill I want to go to a doctor or a hospital, not fill out forms!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

It does vary from person to person. I think I was in phase #2 for around one year! :D

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I made the commitment to come here, so I looked for ways to make it work. My first job had me working away from home for long stretches, so "home" was a relative term. Munchkin was a little impatient and joined the family a month after I arrived in the USA, which made things, in equal parts, both easier and harder. Regular visits and longer stays were vital.

After eight months, I finally came "home" and I've been there ever since, wherever "home" actually is. :thumbs:

The secret to getting by? Cinnabon's ooey-gooey yumminess :P

Edited by Pooky

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

It does vary from person to person. I think I was in phase #2 for around one year! :D

That is a good article. The only thing I noticed in my husband early on was a slight irritability at times, which I had never seen before. Meanwhile I was jumping through myself thinking it was my job to make him happy. Finally in frustration, I said something like "you seem unhappy and I'm sorry, but it's not my problem so I'm not going to worry about you anymore." That's when he communicated that it had nothing to do with me, or homesickness. He just didn't know where to get things like he did around Oxfordshire. Once he learned Lowe's, Home Depot, Auto Zone, the MOT place, Radio Shack, and a weird little independent computer shop, he could be Mr. Handyman again and lost 99% of his frustration.

Do you think it's an English trait, not wanting to feel conspicuous and apologizing for everything? And perceiving people are evaluating you by how you use the crosswalk or your accent? Those things never bother me, but a grew up where "southern hospitality" is a way of life and total strangers want to be friendly and helpful. If I don't know how to do something, I just ask. Had to do that a lot in the UK when I went out on my own because I never rode a bus before. "How do I know which bus comes here and where it is going? How do I read this sign? How much does it cost? When I get off your bus, where would I find the one to take me back home?"

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Whats the deal with the crosswalk thing, they're pretty much the same as in the UK? Not sure why people would not know how to use them. I just cross wherever and whenever I want, although my wife says I should not cross on the diagonal. I merely remind her that where I come from we are allowed to cross the road on our own.

I rarely get asked about my accent here, no-one notices or cares it seems.

Timeline

Whats the deal with the crosswalk thing, they're pretty much the same as in the UK? Not sure why people would not know how to use them. I just cross wherever and whenever I want, although my wife says I should not cross on the diagonal. I merely remind her that where I come from we are allowed to cross the road on our own.

I rarely get asked about my accent here, no-one notices or cares it seems.

It's not that we don't know how to use the crosswalks. For me, the crosswalk thing presents a couple of issues:

1. The button will be pressed, the walking man sign has not yet come up but people start crossing anyway. Depending on how many people cross I will either cross with them or wait for the walking man. If I decide to wait I'm left standing their safe but feeling stupid.
  2. The button will be pressed, the walking man sign has not yet come up but all traffic from all directions has stopped at lights. I'm stood there waiting and people sat at the lights in their cars will be making "go on" gestures with their hands at me but I'm scared to go as the walking man still hasn't appeared. I don't understand why they think it's safe for me to cross and I have nothing with which to judge how much time I'd have to make it so it's safer to stay put. Usually cars will start moving again and the walking man still hasn't come up, leaving me feeling confused and stupid.

I think it will probably be easier once I start driving and I understand how the traffic lights work from a driver's perspective. My husband can figure it out when we're walking around together by using the traffic lights, he'll often say things like "oh they've got a red light so we can make it across" despite the walking man not showing.

That being said, when I come across crosswalks in quiet areas, where there are no cars, I'll just cross. I only get flustered when in busy areas or when there's lots of cars, because as Nich-Nick said, I don't want to be conspicuous!

Edited by rhirhi

I've been here since late 2008 and it took me a couple of years to feel settled. I too felt a bit like an alien, getting used to the different ways of doing things compared to the UK. However for the last three years since starting up my own accountancy business I have felt much more at home. Meeting lots of new clients, mostly American, has made me a lot more comfortable. Also the overall climate here in Phoenix is too good to pass up. Waking up to sunshine and blue sky almost every day is wonderful. :)

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

I feel at home anywhere. My home is with my wife. Granted I miss London. However, as long as you are busy you rarely notice it.

I'm having a baby in a couple of weeks so I probably won't have time to think about it. Although we travel 3 or more times a year so I'm sure I'll see a bit of the UK (especially since she's a professor so I get a huge summer holiday).

Previous Visa & EAD/AP Timeline

K-1 Visa Timeline

22 March 2014 - Sent I-129F

See timeline for data in between these dates.

24 June 2014 - Interview

25 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

26 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Issued

01 July 2014 - Received Visa

POE & Marriage

03 July 2014 - POE (BWI airport)

14 July 2014 - Marriage

Advanced Parole (I131)Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
31 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
27 September 2014 - EAD Combo Card Received

Employment Authorisation (I765) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
20 September 2014 - Card in Production Update
22 September 2014 - Card in Production Update Again
25 September 2014 - Card Sent Update (Another update came later that day with USPS tracking code)
27 September 2014 - Card Received

Adjustment of Status (I-148) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
24 July 2014 - Acceptance - Fingerprint fee accepted and case processed at Nebraska Service Center
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
26 August 2014 - Biometrics Done
12 November 2014 - Notification of Potential Interview Waiver (NPIW) Received
26 March 2014 - Cleveland Field Office is requesting my file from NBC.
23 April 2014 - Green Card Ordered!

Avatar Photo by Henry Mühlpfordt / CC-BY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

rhirhi Crossing the street in Boston (or Massachusetts in general) is just a confusing thing to do. It's not you. Those of us who grew up around here think that crosswalks are for old ladies and moms pushing strollers. A true Bostonian runs out into traffic and knows that it's the drivers' responsibility to figure it all out ;) I'm not saying that's right, or safe, or smart, I'm just saying that is how I grew up, and I didn't know there was anything different until I lived on the west coast and was met with scowling faces and jaywalking tickets.

Welcome to the Commonwealth!

Timeline

rhirhi Crossing the street in Boston (or Massachusetts in general) is just a confusing thing to do. It's not you. Those of us who grew up around here think that crosswalks are for old ladies and moms pushing strollers. A true Bostonian runs out into traffic and knows that it's the drivers' responsibility to figure it all out ;) I'm not saying that's right, or safe, or smart, I'm just saying that is how I grew up, and I didn't know there was anything different until I lived on the west coast and was met with scowling faces and jaywalking tickets. Welcome to the Commonwealth!

Hahaha! That actually makes me feel much better :)

I have been here six years and it does not feel like my true home.

That's not to say I don't like it here. I am comfortable with how everything works now and am happy here with my family. There are lots of things I think are done better here than in the UK and I've made some really wonderful friends.

It took me about five months to feel comfortable and about a year to feel really happy here.

But.... I still feel a lightness and happiness appear when I go back to the UK and a feeling of being home. I don't know if I will ever stop hoping we can all go back to live there for good one day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.