thatangela

Advice needed for at the border after filing I-129F

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all,

We just sent our I-129F to Texas by courier yesterday. I know there's still a lot of work to do (including praying to the gods we get sent to California Service Centre), but I'm giddy like a little schoolgirl!

I have been crossing frequently over the last three and a half years to visit my (now) fiance. Occasionally, the U.S. border guards will tell me that when we do decide to start the process, I should come in and get some advice on what to do next.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone done it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Be prepared to be misinformed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I traveled almost monthly to DC from NS and never had a problem...my 2 cents is below in my signature

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

It's good advice in your sig but it pretty much applies to anyone crossing the border at any time.

Yes....and thats pretty much how it goes for people with cr-1/ir-1 or k1......I think many just make such a huge deal out of it......yes some people do get denied entry.....just like normal tourists get denied entry....One just has to be honest, and be prepared. I'm guessing most people doing the tourist thing don't bring nay evidence of ties to Canada with them...I know I never did. When I was coming back from Nicaragua in May....couple in front of me where from Latin America, she was a USA citizen and he was coming in as a tourist...I didn't hear all the details of course, but he got in,lol

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Really there isn't much of an issue as long as you work or go to school. It's an issue if you make it an issue and why would you do that if you have nothing to hide?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

As long as you appear to be just visiting, you shouldn't have a problem. It's when people give the impression they are moving, either by what they say, or what they bring with them, or not having a return trip planned, or other circumstances, that makes the CBP think twice about it. We had no problems crossing, and there were a few times when we crossed together they asked how the other person was going to get back home. Heck even Greyhound operators would ask to see the return ticket before boarding, and if you didn't have it they would ask you how you were getting back home (I was driving a UHaul back :-)).

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

When me and my now husband were engaged, neither of us had issues crossing. Just be prepared for a lot of questions once you say you are visiting your fiance. We found this triggered them to ask a lot of questions about or relationship...example: Who's moving where, when/if you filed the paperwork and/or where are you at in the process. Be honest and you should be good to go.

07/05/13 Married smile.png
USCIS:

07/08/13 I-130 sent
07/09/13 NOA 1
01/02/14 Case Transferred to NSC
01/17/14 Requested Expedite
01/21/14 Expedite approved
01/29/14 NOA 2
01/30/14 I-130 sent to NVC
NVC:

02/11/14 Case received at NVC

02/25/14 Received NVC Case#

02/25/14 Return completed DS-261 (DS-3032)

02/25/14 Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

02/25/14 Pay I-864 Bill

02/25/14 Receive I-864 Package

02/26/14 Return I-864 Package

03/12/14 Receive IV Bill

03/13/14 NVC received I-864
03/14/14 Pay IV Bill

03/19/14 Receive Instruction Package

03/19/14 Submitted DS-260

04/10/14 Case Completed at NVC

04/15/14 Interview scheduled (05/30/14)

04/17/14 Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

05/30/14 Interview - APPROVED!

06/04/14 Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received

06/04/14 Paid USCIS ELIS Immigrant Fee

06/11/14 Date of US Entry

08/30/14 Received Green Card in mail

LIFTING CONDITIONS:

04/30/16 I-751 sent

05/02/16 ROC packet received at California Service Center

05/02/16 NOA1 (Received 05/13/16)

02/15/17 Case completed - APPROVED

00/00/00 Received Green Card in mail

May 2016 I-751 Filers Spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K2JoU_2yXD0QBBqRoM6_auTa52wY1gcMiM0YFhs6cYQ/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

get nexus, it is so worth it!!!

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

NEXUS also gets you TSA precheck and global entry. Precheck is totally worth it too in large airports. I got thru the TSA in Atlanta 20-30 mins before my husband. I didn't want to go ahead of him but he said, correctly, 1 ticket was cheaper than 2 if we missed the flight.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I think you guys are missing the question. I'm not expecting trouble when I cross as I've gotten to know several of the guards at my usual POE.

What I'm wondering is if the border guards -- who have, in the past, offered advice on how to proceed with my immigration -- would have any useful information. Boiler answered it rather succinctly in Post No. 2.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think you guys are missing the question. I'm not expecting trouble when I cross as I've gotten to know several of the guards at my usual POE.

What I'm wondering is if the border guards -- who have, in the past, offered advice on how to proceed with my immigration -- would have any useful information. Boiler answered it rather succinctly in Post No. 2.

I was wondering what all the other replies were about. VJ posts often do go off in odd directions.

No harm having a chat, sounds like they mean well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hey all,

We just sent our I-129F to Texas by courier yesterday. I know there's still a lot of work to do (including praying to the gods we get sent to California Service Centre), but I'm giddy like a little schoolgirl!

I have been crossing frequently over the last three and a half years to visit my (now) fiance. Occasionally, the U.S. border guards will tell me that when we do decide to start the process, I should come in and get some advice on what to do next.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone done it?

I cross frequently too but none have offered advice on 'coaching' me so to speak, but then again, I never suggested I wanted it.

If you have the time, go for it. it might help....but then again, as Boiler suggests....hinder.

Edited by mrs thb

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Timeline

I was wondering what all the other replies were about. VJ posts often do go off in odd directions.

No harm having a chat, sounds like they mean well.

For sure. Have seen it on many a discussion board. ;)

I cross frequently too but none have offered advice on 'coaching' me so to speak, but then again, I never suggested I wanted it.

If you have the time, go for it. it might help....but then again, as Boiler suggests....hinder.

I think it's always very cute of them to offer. They seem to mean well. I cross at Osoyoos, B.C., so it's a pretty small spot, although it gets busy in the summer.

I think I remember a story on here where an attractive young lady was always getting pulled into secondary all the time, and it seemed there was no valid reason why they were doing it. She was under the impression they just wanted to flirt with her. Perhaps that is all these offers are.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.