sly_wolf

K3 and AOS Question

10 posts in this topic

Hi. I would like to confirm the following based on peoples experiance and what I have read so far.

A K3 visa is good for 2 years max from approval date?

AOS approval takes on average of about 6 months?

If this is correct than I should apply for AOS not later than a year after the K3 is approved ... to be on the safe side?

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

AOS can be filed at any time after a person enters the country with the K-3. I have read cases where people can wait up to 2 years or more for AOS approval.

See: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47094

Once a person applies for AOS the visa can expire with out a problem.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

We applied late....see timeline.

Not approved yet.....but we had EAD and that has just been renewed so I'm not that bothered.

We had no real reason for leaving it so long it just happened that way. After the constant worry and form filling it was nice to take a break for a while. :) The up side of waiting is that now we will get a 10 yr GC.

edited to add...we re-did our medicals as the original had expired.

Edited by Ashleigh-Au

married Dec '03 in US

Feb 04...... I 130 filed......................approved August 04

March 04... I 129F filed....................approved October 04

August 04...I 130 for children filed....approved September 04

Interview: Jan 19 2005 in Sydney

~~~~K3/K4 Visas granted~~~~~

Leave for New Hampshire 27 January 05

We are Home!!!!! :o)

AOS timeline....round 1

2/16/05 I-765 mailed to Chicago

5/24/05 EAD approved

7/11/05 Started work!!

AOS....round 2 (to finally finish things off)

10/25/06 NOA1 for AOS/EAD

11/16/06 Transferred to CSC

11/17/06 Biometrics appt

11/27/06 Touched "Case now pending at CSC"

1/12/07 EAD "touched"

1/16/07 EAD "touched"

1/17/07 EAD approved "Card production Ordered"

1/20/07 I 485 "touched"

1/22/07 EAD card received

6/13/07 Transferred back to Missouri....grrrrrrr

7/23/07 Interview date! FINALLY!

7/23/07 AOS APPROVED!!! :o) 10 yr Greencard I 551 stamp in passport.

7/28/07 Welcome letter received

7/28/07 Card production ordered.

8/1/07 Approval notice senT

8/3/07 Greencards received in mail!

~~~WE ARE DONE~~~

Ok. With a K3 visa being good for 2 years then it potentially gives you a max of 2 years time to make your move to the US ... correct?

My understanding was that the AOS was used to allow the move.

Sly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Ok. With a K3 visa being good for 2 years then it potentially gives you a max of 2 years time to make your move to the US ... correct?

My understanding was that the AOS was used to allow the move.

Sly

AOS is the process of filing for permanent residence not move time.

K-3 is a multi entry visa, so you could enter the USA file for AOS and then move. Make sure you have a solid address on the I-485 AOS application and dont make any moves while it is being processed. Moving while it is being processed can cause big problems with trying to get address updated at USCIS, and Post office wont forward mail form USCIS. You may check the expiration on the visa for how long it is valid, I believe it is a 2 year visa.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi. I would like to confirm the following based on peoples experiance and what I have read so far.

A K3 visa is good for 2 years max from approval date?

AOS approval takes on average of about 6 months?

If this is correct than I should apply for AOS not later than a year after the K3 is approved ... to be on the safe side?

Sly

The K-3 is a multiple entry visa valid for two years.

AOS is the process of obtaining permanent residency (green card)

You have to wait for your I-130 to be approved in order to apply to adjust status. I would think it is a very good idea to apply as soon as possible to demonstrate your spouses immigrant intent. Also you may save yourself the cost of additional EAD and advance parole.

If you wait more than six months past the expiration of the K-3, your spouse could potentially be deported and subject to a three year ban or required to file a waiver. Past a year and it becomes a ten year ban.

Save yourself the headaches and apply as soon as you can possibly do so.

good luck,

alp

Edited by tiberonsuave

Thanks. We are still in the planning stage and trying to plan our timeline also taking into account that I can take early retirement from my Canadian job in a little over 2 years. Our plans are to get married later this year and prefer to be conservative in the time estimates.

Obviously we want to avoid any potential issues.

Sly

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
alp,

This is not true - a K3 does not need to wait for the I-130 to be approved to apply for adjustment of status.

Yodrak

You have to wait for your I-130 to be approved in order to apply to adjust status. .....

alp

Yodrak,

It is VERY true.

T

Filed: Timeline

T,

It is false. Many K3s apply for adjustment prior to the approval of the I-130, my wife among them.

Yodrak

alp,

This is not true - a K3 does not need to wait for the I-130 to be approved to apply for adjustment of status.

Yodrak

You have to wait for your I-130 to be approved in order to apply to adjust status. .....

alp

Yodrak,

It is VERY true.

T

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.