MrsP2010

Divorce waiver interview approved, but pending background check?

4 posts in this topic

Pretty much as the title states, I filed I-751 with waiver due to divorce, got an interview, she approved me on the spot and took my expired GC, said that I should have my GC soon, but "They forgot to run background checks on a few of the packets" so it might be a bit longer. I wasn't concerned when she said it (AFAIK I'm squeaky clean!), but now I realize I should have paid a bit more attention to what she was saying, rather than rejoicing in it all being over.

It's been a week since the interview and I've not received any news or notice of GC production - should I be doing things to track or check in? I'm guessing this is normal, but I'm also eager to have GC in hand so I want to be on top of it if there's more I can be doing.

Thanks in advance - your info has been invaluable to me, and prevented many a meltdown. (L)

Ready for my grand ol' timeline? Alrighty then!

10-05-10 - Married in California
06-13-11 - I-130 approved
10-13-11 - CASE COMPLETE!
12-02-11 - Interview - 221g due to a washed passport
12-17-11 - POE - YYC (preclearance in Canada)

2011 to 2013 - Life happened

06-26-13 - Divorce finalized

10-07-13 - I-751 divorce filer paperwork journey begins

07-03-14 - ROC interview - approval pending delayed background checks

07-25-14 - APPROVED! 10 year GC is finally in production!

08-01-14 - 10 year GC in hand. The journey has finally ended. :)

2014 to 2020 - Living paperwork-free and focused on me!

11-09-20 - N-400 filed online - welcome back VJ fam!

6-22-21 - Interview in Nashville, approved! And then...

6-22-21 - Pledge of Allegiance taken. Holy shirtballs I'm a US Citizen.

I've spent so many years in the loving arms of the USCIS, but now it's time to fledge. So long, my friends, may all your journeys also end on the doorstep of whatever you're searching for.

Bueller?

I've spent so many years in the loving arms of the USCIS, but now it's time to fledge. So long, my friends, may all your journeys also end on the doorstep of whatever you're searching for.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Pretty much as the title states, I filed I-751 with waiver due to divorce, got an interview, she approved me on the spot and took my expired GC, said that I should have my GC soon, but "They forgot to run background checks on a few of the packets" so it might be a bit longer. I wasn't concerned when she said it (AFAIK I'm squeaky clean!), but now I realize I should have paid a bit more attention to what she was saying, rather than rejoicing in it all being over.

It's been a week since the interview and I've not received any news or notice of GC production - should I be doing things to track or check in? I'm guessing this is normal, but I'm also eager to have GC in hand so I want to be on top of it if there's more I can be doing.

Thanks in advance - your info has been invaluable to me, and prevented many a meltdown. (L)

If you are sure you don't have any skeletons in your closet, the background check is just a formality. It doesn't help with the anxiety but you need to keep a level head knwing that even if there was noting else pending in your case, it would take a few weeks for your card to be produced, mailed and delivered.

You have no reason to panic, so just try and calm down and let the process run its course - easier said than done I know.

I hope you card is in your hands soon. Hang in there!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

No skeletons in the closet, the worst that has ever happened to me was a speeding ticket back in January - my first ever one - and I burst into tears when the dude pulled me over. Hah!

Thanks guys. It helps just to have people say the things I'm thinking. I have to admit, it's easy to cave back to all the stress and depression when I see everyone else getting their GCs. I never thought 5 years ago just how much stuff I'd have to wade through, let alone with a divorce thrown into the mix. I have a new guy now, a lovely home, a fantastic job, and I just want to close the book on that part of my life and feel 100% optimistic for the future. I know it will happen, but I'm just sick of those dark clouds hanging over, I want to be able to forget it all and move on.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.