Tater&Bugger

Difficult, complicated situation

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Warlord and Rob & Monika, because my GC was about to expire and I couldn't just stay in the US with a baby and no health insurance. It was commit to removing conditions or coming to Canada. My husband had a job offer in Ottawa and your USC husband can have a Canadian version of a TN visa or work permit while waiting for spousal sponsorship to be approved (confirmed this with CIC). Doing both in the midst of a cross country move with an infant was a lot so we were going to petition once he arrived, but never got around to it because of various reasons. If we were to start now then we are looking at keeping our family appart for two or more years, and we had hoped to expand our family in a couple of years. If we are petitioning me to go back, I am not working full time so I can travel back and forth until then, allowing us to be a family. It's just a shitty situation is all. On top of it we missed our home/family/friend in Phoenix and thus why we are exploring getting me the IR-1 Visa. I know the border patrol agent was not wrong in taking my greencard, I just wished he hadn't. It's to their discretion and he felt me being gone for 3 months and there being a chance we don't move back was too much.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

I am no expert, but from what I have read online (my husband and I would like to return to Canada after he is done school as long as he can find a job), the easiest way to return to Canada is to apply while you are living in the US and sponsor them as a spouse, and then move to Canada when that is approved. That really isn't any help though since you have already moved to Canada. From what I have read it actually seems quicker to do it while you are living in the US than to do it in Canada. BUT, it isn't your fault, if the employer said they were going to do the work visa than they should of. Very frustrating! Hope it works out.

The wait time if filing through the NY office is 18 months and LA office is 26 months. If he were living in Canada then I believe the time is considerably quicker but I haven't checked that in a while.

He was going to school after he got out of the army and while I was pregnant we decided to move back instead if renew my GC (this was a couple months before it expired). So either way I could not just hang out in the US indefinitely with an infant until he could come. He had to start new work so he took a job in MI to be within driving distance until everything would get approved.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

Well, what is done is done....if u goto the USA..and have to go back to Canada--u will know what to do,lol And of course 1 could have filed a re-entry permit. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf

Others have travelled back and forth during the cr-1/ir-1 process...I did it pretty much monthly with no issues. Yes of course some do have issues, some of that is that they don't have proper evidence showing that they will return to canada, maybe a POE officer having a bad day, who knows, but it can happen....but I would guess most have no issues...one just has to have a game plan in case you do..and of course never lie!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Since you are married to a USC, you are no longer considered "temporary" and thus you will not be able to get a TN.

Do you know this to be a fact? I have information to the contrary.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.