Lights

Health Insurance from POE to AOS

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll be doing my POE next week (whoa, did I just say that?!) and I'm interested to know what others have done during the time of POE to getting married and being added on their spouses health insurance. My fiance has spoke to his HR department and they are well aware that he will be adding me as soon as we're legally married. We will be married the day after my POE but will likely have to wait a few days to a week to get our marriage certificate. During that week or two, should I be getting travel insurance? Just in case?

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

It's up to you. I didn't get health insurance until about a week ago after fighting with the insurance companies since I came here! It shouldn't be like that for you though since you will just be adding onto your spouses. I believe you can get travel insurance that will cover you if it is only for that short amount of time if it makes you feel better about it & just to be safe! I didn't bother with it though.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it depends on your hubby (or hubby to be's) insurance. Something to get him to look into. (Or wife/her)

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Timeline

My daughter and I were added as a result of our marriage. Company health insurance usually requires a qualifying life event such as a marriage, birth etc....unless they are doing Open Enrollment.

I entered and we married 2 weeks later; I chose not to get insurance between my POE and our wedding date....I figured we were healthy and if anything came up we'd spring the couple hundred for an uninsured Dr appt during those 2 weeks. Yes....I could have broken a leg but...I didn't!

If I were you, I probably wouldn't. Fill any prescriptions you need before you leave Canada so you have a 2-3 month supply (birth control. BP meds, etc...) so you can be comfortable as you get situated and first go to a family Dr. I think I stockedpiled about 4-6 months supply because I'm weird like that...but We were insured in 2 1/2 weeks and met our new family Dr less than a month after moving.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I arrived on a K-1 and got married just under a month after POE. I got short term health insurance recommended by some people on VJ. I was under the impression travel insurance was invalid if you wanted to use it, since you weren't traveling/visiting but moving. Most likely you'd be okay without it but there's always a chance something could happen and things down here surely aren't cheap. It's all on how comfortable you are. I'm not sure what the insurance was called- I ended up having to mention it to my husband's insurance as proof of prior coverage for pre existing conditions or some dumb thing but I think that's changed as of 2014. It's probably somewhere in my email now as a record.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Travel insurance for a short period of time is pretty cheap, however, as you're immigrating, I don't think you qualify to use it. Simply get added to his and be careful in the meantime.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks, Everyone! I will definitely ask my hubby-to-be if just entering on a K1 can get me added, or if we will have to wait until our marriage is official with certificate in hand.

I am a but of a worry-wart, so I tend to like insurance. If we can get added as soon as we have the marriage certificate, it would only be a week or so. But, I'm concerned of insurance companies and if they take long or find issues, etc and it becomes this one month+ wait to be added on his insurance.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

I think your main requirement for insurance will be a SSN, so make sure you get that as soon as you can.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your insight. I thought I write an update for this, in case it's helpful for someone else.

We did our insurance papers the week after I arrived and were married. It was really easy through his employers. I still haven't gotten my SSN yet, but will do so next week. My husbands employers and their insurance company has an SSN exception form we were able to fill out (coverage under spousal), so that was super easy. I can give them my SSN once I receive it. When we filed for insurance, I was backdated to the day we were married. So even if I got travel insurance for that week or two, the insurance itself would've covered anything that happened during that period.

It was pretty simple and straight forward and one less thing to worry about now! GL everyone! :)

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.