frozen

EI for dual citizen

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

My husband is a dual citizen (American & Canadian) and he's been living & working in Canada ever since he was 16. His current job contract in Canada is ending soon, and we will be moving to US, where he will be looking for a new job. Is he qualified for EI? If so, how should we proceed with this matter? Thank you in advance!!! :dancing:

Best regards,

Kristen

Timeline

Thanks for your reply but, I don't think you understood my question. I don't have any question regarding the visa process, as I am close to getting the CR1 visa in hand. My question is in particular to the Canadian Employment Insurance, which I don't think you will be able to answer. Really appreciate the effort though!

Edited by frozen

Timeline

As long as he has enough qualifying hours he can collect EI..take some time and read a few of the pages back, and you will see the process to collect it. As a Cr-1, he can collect it right away once he enters the USA (minus the 2 week waiting period)....Info is there, just takes a few minutes to find it..start near the end and work keep going back to find the most up to date info.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

As long as he has enough qualifying hours he can collect EI..take some time and read a few of the pages back, and you will see the process to collect it. As a Cr-1, he can collect it right away once he enters the USA (minus the 2 week waiting period)....Info is there, just takes a few minutes to find it..start near the end and work keep going back to find the most up to date info.

Hi, Thanks for your response.

He's a US & Canadian Citzen, and I am a CR-1. Is he qualified to received Canadian EI in US after he moves? Is the EI application procedure same for USC and US permanent resident visa holders (CR1/IR1, etc)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I honestly can't see why not - if he qualifies and has earned it fair and square by working in Canada for the appropriate period. He would be best to apply as soon as his employment ends as they always encourage you to do so. They'll figure out whether he's eligible, Generally the canadians here cant work when they first arrive in the US due to immigration issues but your husband doesnt; fall into that category and wi;; be able to look for work immediately.

Worst case if they have some rule which excludes him they'll advise him if he's not eligible...but being a Canadian citizen probably helps

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I honestly can't see why not - if he qualifies and has earned it fair and square by working in Canada for the appropriate period. He would be best to apply as soon as his employment ends as they always encourage you to do so. They'll figure out whether he's eligible, Generally the canadians here cant work when they first arrive in the US due to immigration issues but your husband doesnt; fall into that category and wi;; be able to look for work immediately.

Worst case if they have some rule which excludes him they'll advise him if he's not eligible...but being a Canadian citizen probably helps

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There's another Canaidan thread today about EE for a Canadian PR who will be moving to the US......their answer from Ei sounds like it might fit your situation as well

Thanks for your help!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

He's a Canadian citizen right? So stop trying to think of this as a USC point of view. He's worked in Canada. He applies for EI the same as any other Canadian would. I don't know if he will receive it because generally we're moving to reunite with family, but it doesn't hurt to try.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.