Fandango

Tell us a story

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Tell us a story about your hometown where you lived before you moved here. And tell us about the people who lived there. Include every detail for those who may not be familiar with the geography of the UK.

I lived in this little village a little south of the city of Sunderland. That's in the NorthEast. We lived in a 3 bedroom terraced house on a quiet street. I am completely 'big city' girl, so you can imagine the culture shock for me!!

When I first moved there, we moved into a new house together from his 'bachelor pad'. It wasn't the greatest house, but it was close to the village green & everything was nearby. It's a smaaaaaaaaale place....the day we moved in...he went to the corner shop for bread and the old woman behind the counter asked how he and his American girlfriend were getting on! hahahahah His old house was like 5 miles away, and you'd think we had moved to another country! All his friends were still in the old town, and tbh...it became a pain turning out on a night with them several times a week. It would cost us 10 quid in taxis...which is not the end of the world, but if you're doin in 4,5 times a week, it gets ridiculous. So we slowly stopped hanging out with them & all our free money went to traveling.

At that point, I went home for a visit. After I went home, he was very lonely...we had at that point, segregated ourselves from his 'marras' and since we had spent so much time traveling, we didn't really make too many new friends in our new place. So D was terribly lonely when I left. I said 'hey why don't you go to that pub on the green?' cos we had been in there before..and it's a SAFC supporter's branch. He's a BIG Black Cats fan. So he started going in & making friends...one day they were short staffed so he helped the stewardess. Then that started her asking him to 'help out' more and more. I said 'why the hell not? you'll make friends and you won't spend our money! lol'

So long story short, he became the assistant steward of this social club. And it was really great fun. By the time I got back...a few mos later...we couldn't swing a cat without someone sayin hello to him. It was nice! We made all sorts of really good friends...very decent people, and we became a very large dysfunctional 'family' of sorts. When I got back, we also bought a nice house...the 3 bedroom I mentioned earlier. Our neighbors were nice, the street looked out for us, and when ya walk down the street, horns would pip and people would wave. And one time we got into a rip roaring fight, and later that night when we went' to the club, everyone knew about it, lol.

The old men in the town are mostly ex-miners. Some of them I can hardly understand because they speak 'pityakker' or summat. It took me a long time to figure out the slang, and I can't tell you how many times I told people 'my name's not Bonnie!" :angry::lol:

We'd have great times at the pub...I became the 'designated game maker' when there was nowt better to do....I thought up the infamous strip rock-paper-scissors game...strip sh!thead (a card game)......strip fruit machine and pool......comparing the sizes of bare azz prints in the snow....and my personal fave, 4am drunken 3-legged races to the paper shop, lol. With a hill, hahahah

We'd barbeque in the summer and have all our friend over. Our old friends decided it wasn't too much trouble at that point to head our way every now and again, so they were all back in the fold, which was really great. We always had our friends around us...they are top people. Despite what many may think about 'Northern Monkeys', some of the kindest and smartest people I met were there. And they'd go to the ends of the earth for ya if you needed it.

Sunderland's a great place...of course, there are tons of chavs as there will be anywhere you go, but still...nice place to spend the day shopping at The Bridges or taking the metro to Newcastle's Eldon Square. Love the outside of Eldon Square...not so much on the inside, lol. I'd spend my days walking the streets with a coffee shopping at Karen Millen, Lush, Fennicks, La Senza....and of course hitting TK Maxx :) For an American in TK Maxx, it's nuts...all the Brits are buyin up the Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, etc...and they're passin D&G & Versace by! it's unreal!

Durham's nearby and everyone knows how beautiful that place is. And the shopping or a night out there aint too shabby either! Metrocentre (which supposedly is one of Europe's biggest malls) doesnt' necessarily blow my skirt up, but there was a kiosk which sold choccie covered coffee beans, which is a fave of mine.

London's not too bad a trek if you book like 2 weeks in advance...you can get a supersave ticket which is like only 20 quid return. My friends and I used to go down to spend the day, do some shopping, or even spend several days going out clubbing. We used to love going to G-A-Y and I hooked up a guy friend of mine there who's in the closet, cos you can't be gay in a lil village without gettin major chew :(

Newcy airport's not too bad as far as where it goes cept it's a bit limited....sometimes we'd have to fly into Stanstead and then chill out for a few hours to get our connection. But Teeside was a great lil airport for quick jaunts to Ireland.

Anyways, I've talked too much...but I will close with this...if I had to live anywhere in the UK, I'd live right in my lil village. So much for the big city girl (L)

Edited by LisaD

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Im a Londoner myself and love the city, think Ill miss it a bit when we finally move.

I live a stones throw from the Highbury corner, Islington, minutes from Arsenals home pitch, which on match day makes the local pubs unbearable., with gooners....lol

The thing I love most is when I walk to work in the morning up Upper Street, Angel.

The street is packed with commuters, the secret residents of London, who you only ever see at commuting time.

In the mornings, they're clutching their Starbucks frappi-wappi cuppucinno mocha skinnys, like they're the holy grail and then at night, when they've finished work, you see them alone in Sainsburys (supermarket), buying their microwave meal for 1 and a bottle of chardonnay.

We will be moving to a suburb of Atlanta, which is beautiful and very different to London.

People seem friendlier, less aggressive and out to get you.

Ill miss the music scene and the fact that, if you walk the streets, dressed as a giant chicken, people dont blink an eye, but Id move to Beirut to be with my SO, its just fortunate that I dont have to.

I know the thread was for those who have already moved but I thought Id share.

xchloe

Edited by chloe

06.05.07 Entered US

06.24.07 Married!!!! xxxxxxx

07.23.07 Sent off AOS/EAD Express Mail

07.24.07 Email notification that package received!!!! (Day 1)

08.08.07 Money Orders Cashed (Day 16)

08.13.08 Biometrics letter rec. Still no NOA1 (Day 21)

08.27.07 RFE for tax transcript (sent already!!)

08.28.07 NOA1 date, received 09.02.07

09.04.07 Biometrics for AOS & EAD (Day 43)

09.18.07 RFE received by USCIS. Processing resumed.(Day 57)

10.04.07 Card Production ordered EAD..Woohoo!!!! (73 Days)

10.15.07 EAD card delivered in post as well as Approval email

10.15.07 Email to say Im on my way to California!

11.29.07 Card production ordered, still waiting for daughters!

12.04.07 received Green card in post!

Im a Londoner myself and love the city, think Ill miss it a bit when we finally move.

I live a stones throw from the Highbury corner, Islington, minutes from Arsenals home pitch, which on match day makes the local pubs unbearable., with gooners....lol

The thing I love most is when I walk to work in the morning up Upper Street, Angel.

The street is packed with commuters, the secret residents of London, who you only ever see at commuting time.

In the mornings, they're clutching their Starbucks frappi-wappi cuppucinno mocha skinnys, like they're the holy grail and then at night, when they've finished work, you see them alone in Sainsburys (supermarket), buying their microwave meal for 1 and a bottle of chardonnay.

We will be moving to a suburb of Atlanta, which is beautiful and very different to London.

Ill miss the music scene and the fact that, if you walk the streets, dressed as a giant chicken, people dont blink an eye, but Id move to Beirut to be with my SO, its just fortunate that I dont have to.

xchloe

Awwww, my hubby lived in Stokey & damn do I miss wandering around Upper Street & Stokey High Street!

Timeline

yep, we're frequent visitors to Clissold park, in Stokey..

Ill say Hi to the deer for you!

06.05.07 Entered US

xchloe

Nah Chloe, it's for everyone!

:)

Heh! My guy lives near Clissold Park -- I still have mud on my shoes from taking a shortcut (his idea) across the grass to visit with the ducks! That was January 2 -- seems like months ago.

It's a lovely place for a picnic when the weather is warm.

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

Heh! My guy lives near Clissold Park -- I still have mud on my shoes from taking a shortcut (his idea) across the grass to visit with the ducks! That was January 2 -- seems like months ago.

It's a lovely place for a picnic when the weather is warm.

Ha - this all goes towards substantiating my theory that everyone in the entire world (okay, everyone who lives in, or has ever lived in) London has lived in Stokey at some point. Well, a lot of people, anyway. I lived there for a few years, and if it wasn't for the horrendousness of the flat that I lived in (complete with gigantic and fearless N16 mice - eeek!), it would have been the perfect place to live. I've not been back there since I moved out... but I miss Church Street and all the pubs/restaurants/shops! I miss Islington too, come to think of it - I hardly ever go there now. Must go back before I leave for the States... hmm, that's one for the Boy's visit next month!

The last time I can remember walking through Clissold Park was in the middle of the whole foot & mouth thing, all the animals' enclosures were all cordoned off, you couldn't walk on the grass, and there were signs up everywhere with dire warnings about visiting farms and suchlike. Very sinister, it was!! :unsure:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

noooooooooooooo! WHAT ABOUT THER HOPPING BIRDIE??? There's this little bird in the far right cage & I swear to god it looks like a robot, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that birdie. Aww, now I'm very sad. :(

My friend is a ranger at Clissold, has been for years. If you ever see a very tall West Indian named Gary, say hi, he's great!

I miss Saturday morning almond croissants from The Spence. I miss drinks at the Rose & Crown with my KP pork cracklings (hubby lived across the street)! I miss kebabs & that super delish spicy salsa stuff at the Whirling Dervish. I miss Szechuan noodles from that Chinese.

I DO NOT miss waiting for the 436 though.

Man do I miss London.

Edited by devilette

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Tim is from Felixstowe in Suffolk. His description is "it is where all of the old people come to die"! There you have it, I can't say there was much to like about his town. I did however fall in love with Woodbridge, I just thought it was such a quaint little village. If we had made the choice to stay in the UK, this is where we would have wanted to live. The locals were just lovely and very open to Americans, so many were related to or had American friends from the old Airforce base that used to be in the area. We made at least a monthly trip down to Colchester, because I liked the market and shopping there. I do miss it, and look forward to visiting again soon.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Timeline

my bus is the ever frequent 73, which is great, goes right down through Stokey to where I live on the glorious Marquess Estate...yikes

If anyone knows the estate, please dont judge...lol

yep, its one of those places you miss,

Ive just returned from a glorious pizza at Pizza Express on Islington Green...bliss

though Id trade it all for my fiance,

slightly off subject..but God, I miss him x

We lived in a village in Cornwall for 2 years called Lostwithiel which was very different from Islington..quiet and beautiful, so leaving N1 wont be hard.

sigh, hey dont miss it too much, its still full of a***holes shoving and manic bus drivers with a chip on their shoulders, nothing changes..lol

xchloe

06.05.07 Entered US

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Tim is from Felixstowe in Suffolk. His description is "it is where all of the old people come to die"! There you have it, I can't say there was much to like about his town. I did however fall in love with Woodbridge, I just thought it was such a quaint little village. If we had made the choice to stay in the UK, this is where we would have wanted to live. The locals were just lovely and very open to Americans, so many were related to or had American friends from the old Airforce base that used to be in the area. We made at least a monthly trip down to Colchester, because I liked the market and shopping there. I do miss it, and look forward to visiting again soon.

My maternal grandfather was an American airman based at RAF Woodbridge in WW2.

cos you can't be gay in a lil village without gettin major chew :(

Even if it makes you the only gay in the village? :lol:

my bus is the ever frequent 73,

The 73! Of course those are all horrible bendy buses now, aren't they?

Edited by robinklake

90day.jpg

I've lived in several places around Britain and more parts of London than I can remember since I've lived there in 3 periods in my life - my least favorite place I lived is Birmingham (sorry Brummies). Spent the longest in Shepherds Bush and lived a few streets over from Nigella Lawson, who I once saw walking to the corner shop in her pyjamas. I loved the Bush -- within a mile of where I lived was cuisine from 15 different countries (at last count), several great pubs, Shepherd's Bush Empire, Bush Hall and every amenity you could want.

90day.jpg

My maternal grandfather was an American airman based at RAF Woodbridge in WW2.

My grandfather as well...although I am not sure where he was based. I will ask tomorrow.

When I was 13 I visited England for the first time with my parents. It was Christmas and exactly 50 years since my grandfather lived their during WWII. It was a little strange to be involved with new traditions at Christmas but we were made to feel right at home with the family my grandfather lived with all those years ago. We had crackers (have pictures with the hats) and prawn cocktail...those are the two things I remember the most.

My parents took us (me and my sister) all over England, Scotland, and Wales...ending up in London. From the point on England always ALWAYS had a special place in my heart. Now I am marrying a Brit. My grandfather always had the best stories about England. He died this past Sept. He got to meet Chris several times before he died and was so pleased to just sit and talk with him. After my grandfather died my dad brought me all my grandfathers medals to research. Half from England half from the US. It is utterly amazing what that generation went through.

I really and truely think my grandfather was very happy to know I was traveling back and forth so much to England.

What a lucky girl I am.

Okay...so now i am feeling all nastolgic and soppy!! ALmost there!! Thanks for letting me share!

Edited by ajames79

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.