lilsadie

changing name after married

7 posts in this topic

Howdy! Just wondering if you changed your name after you got married? We are both planning on changing our name so we will hyphen both our surnames. Can you apply to Births deaths and marriages from the USA or is the process a bit hard? Also, because our marriage wont be recognized in Australia will it be an issue? (same sex)

Thanks guys!

Howdy! Just wondering if you changed your name after you got married? We are both planning on changing our name so we will hyphen both our surnames. Can you apply to Births deaths and marriages from the USA or is the process a bit hard? Also, because our marriage wont be recognized in Australia will it be an issue? (same sex)

Thanks guys!

I was able to change my name through the Victorian BD&M from within the US, and also got a new passport from within the US. The process was a little tedious but it kept me occupied while waiting for my green card. I have been meaning to write about the process but keep forgetting. What state were you born in? I don't think it will be an issue in Australia.

Edited by Lainie B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I was able to change my name through the Victorian BD&M from within the US, and also got a new passport from within the US. The process was a little tedious but it kept me occupied while waiting for my green card. I have been meaning to write about the process but keep forgetting. What state were you born in? I don't think it will be an issue in Australia.

If you could write the process for us that would be SO GREAT!! I am totally confused how I'll go about applying for a new passport from within USA and what stuff we need for it.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

That would be amazing!! Im from Victoria! Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I am in a same sex relationship with my spouse. I am currently in the US and we have just started the adjustment of status procedure here in the states. As far as the name change goes it gets difficult with same sex couples because of Australia not recognising the union. What I have therefore done is hyphenated my name I used her surname first and then left mine last. ie: if her name was smith and mine brown I hyphernated it Smith-Brown. I did it because to change my name in Australia I have to do it through birth death and marriages and it has to be signed by one of their office workers I believe, so I figured with my name still being the last part until I can get back to Australia to do that my passport etc will still be recognised. My Social Security Number etc have my married name. If you can do it before you leave Aussie and have it all done then that is an option to look out, but with time constraints that can be difficult. Look at all your options, it is a lot harder for us than for other couples. If I can help at all please don't hesitate to ask.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.