sly_wolf

Canadian Medicare

10 posts in this topic

Under a K3 visa scenario, can anyone tell me at what point I could expect to lose medicare coverage in Canada. I would be interested to know what the experiance has been for other Canadians in this regard.

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I already have Medical Coverage in the US through Mel, so when I go back to the US I will phone Alberta Health Care and cancel my account. I cancelled my Blue Cross here a while back.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You no longer are eligible for Provincial health benefits when you move permanently to the US. If your residential address changes to an American address, you should not apply for any Canadian benefits after that time as it is considered illegal - only those physically resident in the Province are allowed to receive health benefits. (Snowbirds are not physically resident in the US - they are visitors and maintain a permanent Canadian residence and all of their other ties which they utilize regularly.)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Was an article I read online about how it was costing the BC government millions of $$$$ a yr with people coming to Canada for medical attention and not paying, was interesting. Yep, when you move, ur no longer covered. When u fil out ur Cdn taxes for the previous yr, it asks what date you CEASED to be a Cdn resident, which for most is the day you crossed the border and activated ur visa. Are they going to hunt you down and take away ur favorite coffee mug, probably not, maybe just a bill

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Check with your province to see how long you will be covered after you cease to be a resident of Canada. For example Manitoba will cover me for 3 months after I cease being a resident of Canada. Get all your check-ups up to date and as much prescriptions stock piled as you can if you have drug coverage.

Filed: Other Timeline

I notified OHIP that I'd be moving to the US permanently, but before I left I ended up having surgery in Toronto and a 5 day hospital stay. What would have cost me several thousands of dollars in the US, cost me $11 per day to rent the TV in Toronto. :P

I know several people who have left Canada and still use their provincial health cards when they go back to visit. Its illegal, and IMO, downright rude to do so.

Its also a tie to Canada that USCIS could look at and deny your status in the US if they wanted to be really persnickety. Which they can be sometimes, so just cancel it when you move.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had to go to the hospital while I was home over Christmas -- we paid $400CDN upfront, and were billed another $400 later on. A bit of a sticker shock, but still cheaper than going to the ER here in Tulsa! Fortunately, our insurance will cover some of it, better than none at all.

I chose to wait to get my arm checked out and x-rayed after I got home! ;)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

*bump*

So should I wait to get LPR status (conditional or otherwise) and then inform OHIP that I am no longer resident in Ontario?

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

my husband called OHIP a couple weeks ago and asked about this very topic. The person he spoke to at OHIP said you would be covered for emergency treatment in the US up to 7 months or until you obtain PR status in the US.

My argument was you should be covered until you obtain CR/LPR status since you arent considered as having abandoned your residency in Canada until the US says you're legally allowed to do so. If your AOS or CR-1 were to be denied , you would have no choice but to return to Canada, so technically I would think you'd be considered a visitor until that time.

A PHP requires you to be a resident of the province UNLESS you're going to be out of Canada temporarily......

the temporary absences are;

study

work

missionary work

vacation/other

......and its the "other" that has me wondering

NOW......OHIP says "Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care may continue your eligibility for Ontario health (OHIP) coverage when you are absent from Ontario for more than 212 days in a 12 month period, as long as you plan to return and make your permanent and principal home in Ontario."

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public...hip/longer.html

google.gif

Timeline

Thanks for the info! I'm under my husband's health care plan but maybe I'll inform OHIP after I get my conditional GC, just in case...

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.