23 posts in this topic

Hi CharSA,

There we a few members from South Africa a couple months ago doing the K1. I am doing DCF. If you have any questions I can try to help. You can search the forum for the past members.

Welcome to the forums :)

I-129F Petition
Service Center: Texas Service Center
I-129F Sent: 3/17/14
I-129F NOA1: 3/24/14
Alien Registration Number Changed: 3/25/14
I-129F NOA2: 8/25/14
Sent to NVC: 8/28/14
NVC Received: 9/8/14
Case # Assigned: 9/9/14
Left NVC: 9/11/14
Consulate Received: 9/16/14
Packet 3 Received (Instructions/Checklist): 9/19/14
Packet 3 Completed: 9/23/14
Medical Scheduled: 10/15/14
Packet 4 Received (Appointment Date): 10/2/14
Interview Date (Helsinki Consulate): 10/27/14
Interview Result: APPROVED!
Visa Received: 10/31/14
POE/Baltimore (BWI): 12/9/14
Married: 1/12/15

Adjustment of Status I-485
Service Center: National Benefits Center
I-485 Sent: 1/24/15
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 1/27/15
Check Cashed by USCIS: 2/2/15
NOA 1: 1/30/15
Biometrics Appointment: 3/13/15
Biometrics Completed (USCIS Baltimore) 3/13/15
Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15
Case Transferred to Kansas City Missouri Field Office: 1/26/16
RFE Received Wanting a New Vaccination Supplement: 2/4/16
Appointment Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/15/16
Appointment Cancelled due to Weather Conditions: 2/15/16
Appointment Re-Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/16/16
Civil Surgeon Completed I-693 Vaccination Supplement Needed: 2/16/16
RFE Response Sent to Kansas City Field Office via USPS: 2/16/16
Delivered to USCIS Field Office by USPS: 2/19/16
Signed Return Receipt Receipt in Mail from USCIS: 2/22/16
I-485 Notification Application APPROVED - No Interview: 2/23/16
NOA 2 Approval Notice Received Through Mail: 2/27/16
Green Card Sent Through Mail Notification: 2/26/16
Received Card in Mail: 3/2/16

Employment Authorization I-765
Service Center: National Benefits Center
I-765 Sent: 1/24/15
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 1/27/15
NOA 1: 1/30/15
Biometrics Appointment: 3/13/15
Biometrics Completed (USCIS Baltimore) 3/13/15
EAD Approved: 3/30/15
Received Card in Mail: 4/8/15
---------------------------------------------
Sent Renewal I-765 to Chicago Lockbox: 1/30/16
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2/3/16
NOA 1: 2/8/16
Biometrics Appointment: 3/2/16
No need to get them done due to getting Green Card

Removal of Conditions on Residence I-751
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
I-751 Sent: 1/16/18
Delivered to Center: 1/19/18
 NOA 1: 1/24/18
Case Approved: 4/2/19
GC Received in Mail: 4/15/19

Thank you everyone!!!!!

I just wanted to know.....how long does it normaly take from filling the I-129F till the interview i have to go to.

And what will happen at the embassy on day of interview :)

Thank you for the replies!! :)

For us, it took 7 months from the date of filing our I-129F to the day I got my visa. Interview was a real breeze for me, you just have to answer questions from the consul about your relationship.

What is impossible with men is possible with God - Luke 18:27

Spoiler

Our Timeline

February 27, 2017 Biometrics Appointment

February 17, 2017 Received NOA2 - ASC Appointment Letter

February 9, 2017 Received NOA1

February 7, 2017 I-751 check payment has been cashed

January 31, 2017 Mailed I-751 packet

March 21, 2015 Received green card in mail - Thank You, Lord.

March 16, 2015 Received Welcome Letter in mail

March 10, 2015 Text message and email received: Green card is in production - did not receive any interview waiver letter and no interview.

December 19, 2014 EAD card received

December 18, 2014 Email update: EAD card is mailed

December 11, 2014 Received email: EAD card in producion

December 2, 2014 Biometrics appointment

November 22, 2014 Received biometrics appointment for AOS and EAD

September 30, 2014 Received NOA1 (I-797C) for AOS and EAD

September 26, 2014 Email and text AOS acceptance notification received (around midnight)

September 19, 2014 AOS and EAD sent

September 11, 2014 Received Social Security Card

September 10, 2014 Civil Surgeon

September 4, 2014 Name change on Social Security Number

August 23, 2014 Wedding Day!

August 8, 2014 Applied for Social Security Number; got marriage license

July 25, 2014 Port of Entry: Chicago

May 16, 2014 CFO seminar

May 13, 2014 Visa on hand

May 5, 2014 Interview: approved

March 13, 2014 Medical exam - third day (went back to St. Lukes for Tdap vaccine)

February 24, 2014 Appointment letter received

February 14, 2014 Medical exam - second day (vaccine day)

February 13, 2014 Medical exam - first day

January 29, 2014 Case received by consulate

January 9, 2014 Case left NVC

December 13, 2013 NOA2

October 18, 2013 NOA1

October 14, 2013 I-129F sent

July 19, 2013 Got engaged!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Thank you so much for the answers!

I would also like to find out from someone in South Africa. How much is it going to cost for the medical examination? And police certification.

Im sorry for aaaaaall these questions. But ive heard so much about VJ i decided to join. And i already feel better!

Thank you :)

Hi to everyone out there.

I am all new to this website, i was wondering if there is anybody out there from South Africa going through K1 visa, or that has been through it.

Thank you so much :)

For us, sorta. my fiance' is from SA, but currently lives in Ireland. Right now your timeframe is going to depend on where your 129F is processed: California or Texas (not to be confused with where YOU mail it). One thing I will recommend is that if you need military records, start working on them NOW. The police certificate won't be as bad if you don't need it mailed. Johan sent in for both of these things back in early March, and it's now the only thing keeping him from his interview. I'm beyond frustrated with the mail system in SA right now. :( Other than that though, from what I've read on these forums, the embassy and process in SA runs as smoothly as the easiest countries to go through with the K1. Welcome. :)

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Timeline

For us, sorta. my fiance' is from SA, but currently lives in Ireland. Right now your timeframe is going to depend on where your 129F is processed: California or Texas (not to be confused with where YOU mail it). One thing I will recommend is that if you need military records, start working on them NOW. The police certificate won't be as bad if you don't need it mailed. Johan sent in for both of these things back in early March, and it's now the only thing keeping him from his interview. I'm beyond frustrated with the mail system in SA right now. :( Other than that though, from what I've read on these forums, the embassy and process in SA runs as smoothly as the easiest countries to go through with the K1. Welcome. :)

Thank you so much for your reply! I love this website.

We still have such a long way to go.... But in the end it will all be worth it!! :)

And goodluck to you both!!!vi hope all this get sorted out soon!! :)

Welcome to the forums :)

Thank you so much!!!!!! :)

Thank you so much for the answers!

I would also like to find out from someone in South Africa. How much is it going to cost for the medical examination? And police certification.

Im sorry for aaaaaall these questions. But ive heard so much about VJ i decided to join. And i already feel better!

Thank you :)

Medical Examination is R2,850 if you are going to have it in Cape Town.

Police Clearance Certificate is R59 and it's taking a VERY LONG TIME right now. You can go ahead and get the PCC and it's good for 6 months. http://www.saps.gov.za/

Your finance goes to a police station and they take his fingerprints and he mails his fingerprints to Pretoria. http://www.saps.gov.za/ You can send a certified letter back with tracking and when your fingerprints are done they will mail back to your finance.

Is his Police Clearance Certificate showing up when he goes to the SAPS website? You or Johan might want to follow up and see if they are still working on them!

Timeline

Medical Examination is R2,850 if you are going to have it in Cape Town.

Police Clearance Certificate is R59 and it's taking a VERY LONG TIME right now. You can go ahead and get the PCC and it's good for 6 months. http://www.saps.gov.za/

Your finance goes to a police station and they take his fingerprints and he mails his fingerprints to Pretoria. http://www.saps.gov.za/ You can send a certified letter back with tracking and when your fingerprints are done they will mail back to your finance.

I wonder if it costs the same for medical in johannesburg.....hmmmmm....

I will get the PCC closer to time, we are still early birds...

Thank u for your help!!!!!!

Hi!

I think it would cost around the same for Jo'borg. I thought it was really expensive! But, it includes X-rays, and they courier it to the Embassy for you.

Make sure your finance has the Unabridged Birth Certificate

Here are some reviews for the Embassy if you want to look at:

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=South+Africa&cty=&dfilter=5

Edited by Confusedtinybird

Timeline

Hi!

I think it would cost around the same for Jo'borg. I thought it was really expensive! But, it includes X-rays, and they courier it to the Embassy for you.

Here are some reviews for the Embassy if you want to look at:

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=South+Africa&cty=&dfilter=5

Can i go to any physician for the medical examination?

Is his Police Clearance Certificate showing up when he goes to the SAPS website? You or Johan might want to follow up and see if they are still working on them!

Oops! I remember now you got them but you are waiting for them to arrive in Ireland!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.