JamieAndAmanda

How long from approved interview till visa is received

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone have info on Canadian coming to America Visa approval. My fiancee and I are wondering; if/when her interview is and she is approved how long does it normally take to receive her visa and be able to travel into the US to get married.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Canada Regional Forum~

~inquiry is country-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ...Spend some time on the k1 forum, especially the guides and understand the process...if you look, you can even find a handy flow chart that shows you the steps! And spend some time here on the Canada forum....good chance that since VJ has been around for many yrs, tht the question has been asked and answered. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Depending on where the Canuck lives - is she going to be processed in Vancouver or Montreal...depends on if they see anything and throw her in advanced processing...depends on how busy they are/how many people are on vacation, there is no hard and fast answer. From interview to visa at the loomis office for me was...well my interview was a Wednesday, got the call the Monday after, so less than a week. My friend who has her interview the same day (yep. Dr cheema...creating friendships in the waiting room lol) took a little over a week I think. (And her passport/visa was going to a city that's a three hour drive if you're slow from me...

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

My CR1 was in Central Alberta the day after my interview in Montreal.

But K1 seem to be slower than that... not sure why.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been told that it usually takes a few days. Mine took a few weeks because there was a glitch in the system and they were unable to process my visa immediately. I think I received it a week and a bit after my interview, if not 2 weeks. I also didn't have AP or require to send in extra documentation.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Don't make plans until the visa is in hand. You have 6 months to use it once you have it. I know it's tempting to plan it all out ahead of time, but you never know how long things will really take. The average Canadian born applicant receives their visa within 2 weeks, some have waited as long as a month without tripping any red flags. For Canadian residents born outside of Canada, it can take up to 12 months if born in a MENA country.

Edited by Rob & Monika

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As mentioned - I wouldn't make super solid plans but you can get ready. Personally I came home from the interview and gave my notice at my apartment for 2 months hence. NO - I didn't have it in hand but I was 99% of the way there ;)

Once she receives the passport and visa back she can leave immediately if she likes depending on how prepared her belongings are. Remember that the K1 is a single entry VISA - once she goes over and 'activates' it at the border she is NOT coming back to Canada again until she is married and has gotten Advance Parole (AP) to travel or a Greencard from the AOS (Adjustment of status) process.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.