ajames79

Fav. all time food and drink in the UK

161 posts in this topic

Simon hates everything all tucked in, he's happy with only a duvet flopped on top of him and that's it. I have to have everything military tight and neat, and it makes him crazy.

We have a down duvet and I have two gorgeous covers for it. In the summer we just use a light weight cotton coverlet for the bed.

But always a top sheet!! Gotta have a top sheet!! :)

~Liza

Where did ya get your pretty duvet covers??

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I hate top sheets, and so does griff now too! As for duvet covers - I always buy the right size for the down comforter, but they are always way too big!!!! What gives????? It drives me nuts!!!

As for the original point of this thread - food - my faves from the UK are chips from the Boot Inn, in Chester - to die for!!! And sticky toffee pudding - love it, love it, love it. Regarding the drink - any cold beer will do - just not bitters!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

lol I was laughing about us all going on about Duvet's in a Food thread!!

I found a box mix for Sticky Toffee Pudding (Nordicware).... I am going to make it for PJC when he gets here. Don't know if it's any good.... I have never had Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Pete (UK) & Sue (US)

June 19: Filed for K-1 Visa

Feb 8: Received K-1 Visa

April 27: Married!!

May 4: AOS & EAD sent off.

July 28: EAD Card Arrives in Mail!

Aug 23: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!

Aug 30: Welcome to America! letter arrived.

Sept 7: Greencard arrived in the mail!

May: Received Notice about Greencard Expiration end of August

July 15: Sent packet in mail!! (FINALLY!!)

July 16: Packet arrives @ CSC 10:52am Signed by V. Semegi

July 24: Received NOA (posted 7/21)

July 30: Received Bio Appt Letter in Mail

August 20 @ 2pm: Biometrics Appt. –

Sept 12: Approved!! Should be getting card within 60 days..

April 22: Mailing N400 Citizenship packet to Phoenix AZ! (about time!)

April 25 10:37am Phoenix USCIS Lockbox. Signed for by F DOMINGUEZ

April 28 NOA (received in mail May 2)

June 7 Biometrics Appt

July 26 8:10am Interview/Test APPROVED!

Jul 26 Oath Ceremony! Pete is now a US Citizen!

ficFm7.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline
Simon hates everything all tucked in, he's happy with only a duvet flopped on top of him and that's it. I have to have everything military tight and neat, and it makes him crazy.

We have a down duvet and I have two gorgeous covers for it. In the summer we just use a light weight cotton coverlet for the bed.

But always a top sheet!! Gotta have a top sheet!! :)

~Liza

Where did ya get your pretty duvet covers??

Anywhere which sells bedding has really nice duvet covers.

From Dillard's to Ross...I've gotten quite a few really swish ones.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I hate top sheets, and so does griff now too! As for duvet covers - I always buy the right size for the down comforter, but they are always way too big!!!! What gives????? It drives me nuts!!!

As for the original point of this thread - food - my faves from the UK are chips from the Boot Inn, in Chester - to die for!!! And sticky toffee pudding - love it, love it, love it. Regarding the drink - any cold beer will do - just not bitters!

I had sticcky toffee pudding in 'Tea and Sympathy' in NYC. It's completely british in there. I would miss bangers and mash with onion gravy if they didn't serve that in there too.

I do miss refresher bars, cornish pasties, orange squash and mcVites Chocolate digestives (although i did find some hobnobs)

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

I had sticcky toffee pudding in 'Tea and Sympathy' in NYC. It's completely british in there. I would miss bangers and mash with onion gravy if they didn't serve that in there too.

I do miss refresher bars, cornish pasties, orange squash and mcVites Chocolate digestives (although i did find some hobnobs)

Orange squash -- Kissan brand available in desi stores (lots of those around where you are).

Don't have a clue what a "refresher bar" is.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Orange squash -- Kissan brand available in desi stores (lots of those around where you are).

Don't have a clue what a "refresher bar" is.

It's a sticky bar of soft yellow candy that has sherbert in the centre (i mean sherbert in the UK sense of the word not the american).

K-1 Visa Journey

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

Am I limited to just one? :lol:

ANYthing chocolate, preferably Galaxy. Fish and chips, Yorkshire pudding are both particularly tasty. Wish we had something like Ribena here too.

Their damn loaf bread is even better than ours. I about gorged myself on toast. :lol: Oooh and the bacon - its not that streaky ####### like we get here - its 'back' bacon. Yum yum!

BTW currys gross me out. I don't like 'weird' foods anyway (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, all that ####### grosses me out. I'm surprised I like Mexican and Italian!) but curry is particularly gross. Oddly, that's the one thing Chas thinks he's really going to miss when he moves here. :lol:

As luck would have it, my friends have recently visited and I have four GIANT bars of Galaxy in my fridge. Its just heaven knowing they are there.

I really miss UK bread (especially the stuff from my old local baker in Romford who also did cheese and onion pasties, and sausage rolls to die for). I also miss a really good curry (chicken passanda, mushroom rice, nan bread, and a stack of poppadums with mango chutney and onion - mmmm). Agree the bacon in the UK is far superior but thanks to the UK aisle at Whole Foods, Im able to do fried eggs, bacon, mushrooms and Heinz baked beans for a Saturday morning fry up. American hubby loves it and says that UK fry ups are far superior to US.

We had some friends over for a UK roast beef dinner recently and they fell in love with yorkshire puds (I dont want to boast but I can make the most superb yorkies!). They compared them to popovers??? Anyway the great british roast beef sunday dinner has two new supporters !

Timeline

ANYthing chocolate, preferably Galaxy. Fish and chips, Yorkshire pudding are both particularly tasty. Wish we had something like Ribena here too.

Their damn loaf bread is even better than ours. I about gorged myself on toast. :lol: Oooh and the bacon - its not that streaky ####### like we get here - its 'back' bacon. Yum yum!

BTW currys gross me out. I don't like 'weird' foods anyway (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, all that ####### grosses me out. I'm surprised I like Mexican and Italian!) but curry is particularly gross. Oddly, that's the one thing Chas thinks he's really going to miss when he moves here. :lol:

As luck would have it, my friends have recently visited and I have four GIANT bars of Galaxy in my fridge. Its just heaven knowing they are there.

I really miss UK bread (especially the stuff from my old local baker in Romford who also did cheese and onion pasties, and sausage rolls to die for). I also miss a really good curry (chicken passanda, mushroom rice, nan bread, and a stack of poppadums with mango chutney and onion - mmmm). Agree the bacon in the UK is far superior but thanks to the UK aisle at Whole Foods, Im able to do fried eggs, bacon, mushrooms and Heinz baked beans for a Saturday morning fry up. American hubby loves it and says that UK fry ups are far superior to US.

We had some friends over for a UK roast beef dinner recently and they fell in love with yorkshire puds (I dont want to boast but I can make the most superb yorkies!). They compared them to popovers??? Anyway the great british roast beef sunday dinner has two new supporters !

Whole foods has a UK isle???? Fantastic! I'm heading down there now!

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

I say "aisle" but more like 4 shelves !! Dont let that put you off though - it has hobnobs, bisto, marmite, heinz beans, tea bags, heinz tinned puddings (god love 'em), and a variety of condiments. Its not signposted but I think it was by the "international foods" section. You will nearly cry when you see how much a packet of hobnobs are though!! Still who cares, if it costs $20 to buy four UK items that I will treasure and enjoy then its money well spent !

I say "aisle" but more like 4 shelves !! Dont let that put you off though - it has hobnobs, bisto, marmite, heinz beans, tea bags, heinz tinned puddings (god love 'em), and a variety of condiments. Its not signposted but I think it was by the "international foods" section. You will nearly cry when you see how much a packet of hobnobs are though!! Still who cares, if it costs $20 to buy four UK items that I will treasure and enjoy then its money well spent !

Britty,

Our local shop has an international aisle as well. They have the items which you mentioned plus a few more. I know what you mean about the cost!! But my hubby and i treat ourselves to some goodies every few weeks. The MIL is due to send over another goodie package soon tho.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline

Britty,

Our local shop has an international aisle as well. They have the items which you mentioned plus a few more. I know what you mean about the cost!! But my hubby and i treat ourselves to some goodies every few weeks. The MIL is due to send over another goodie package soon tho.

Sounds like the standard imorted stuff. One shop i was in had a large bottle of ribena for $20

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

For L&D, methinks I've seen McVitie's biscuits in desi stores (I've definitely SEEN them in US).

For TracyTN--easy solution to (Chas') "missing" curry: many Kroger stores carry Deep entrees (frozen) and some others carry packet-currys (and I'm not even thinking of desi stores here).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
For L&D, methinks I've seen McVitie's biscuits in desi stores (I've definitely SEEN them in US).

For TracyTN--easy solution to (Chas') "missing" curry: many Kroger stores carry Deep entrees (frozen) and some others carry packet-currys (and I'm not even thinking of desi stores here).

I have an Uncle Bens Tikka Massala in the cupboard. Found it in C-Town.

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.