ajames79

Fav. all time food and drink in the UK

161 posts in this topic

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robinson's No Added Sugar Apple and Blackcurrant. In fact, I miss ALL squash/cordial. You just can't get it here. All the equivalent drinks are pre mixed and FULL of sugar. I have managed to find one that isn't, but it IS a rarity.

never was a soda girl myself.

But when I am over in Feb I am going to look for the no sugar apple and blackcurrent. Sounds yummy!

It isn't a soda. It is a highly concentrated fruit juice that you add one part of to eight parts water. The UK has cordial/squash everywhere. It is the second most popular drink after soda, for kids.

It is just nice because it isn't full of the additives ####### that you get over here in the USA.

Yeah I know soda was the wrong word for me to use. Not a fan of sweet drinks in general. I like Robinsons bitter lemon my self. :)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

first of all. I think I noticed Glitter star mention IrnBru and I saw Seattle. If you ever venture to snohomish, there is a place called Piccadillly Circus Pub & restaurant and apparently they have Irn Bru. I haven't been there and never tried Irn Bru. However it could be like how US Guinness is....weak. lol (as in when they import it they make it all pastuerized and nasty)

What I miss (even if I am American)....

Decent Sausages!!!!

Galaxy which THANK GOD I can drive 30 min to get at the local (sorta) British shop. (I guess they have their own sausages too but I have yet to try them)

Yorkshire tea (THANK GOD they have that too)

a Decent Pint! lol (like Guinness without pasteurization)

.....and MOST of all...my Fiance as he is still over there...but I suppose he is not food or drink...but its something I miss from the UK anyway. :crying: (going over for Valentines though!! :dance: )

one more thing..... TANGO!!!! lol nothing matches it.

Pete (UK) & Sue (US)

June 19: Filed for K-1 Visa

Feb 8: Received K-1 Visa

April 27: Married!!

May 4: AOS & EAD sent off.

July 28: EAD Card Arrives in Mail!

Aug 23: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!

Aug 30: Welcome to America! letter arrived.

Sept 7: Greencard arrived in the mail!

May: Received Notice about Greencard Expiration end of August

July 15: Sent packet in mail!! (FINALLY!!)

July 16: Packet arrives @ CSC 10:52am Signed by V. Semegi

July 24: Received NOA (posted 7/21)

July 30: Received Bio Appt Letter in Mail

August 20 @ 2pm: Biometrics Appt. –

Sept 12: Approved!! Should be getting card within 60 days..

April 22: Mailing N400 Citizenship packet to Phoenix AZ! (about time!)

April 25 10:37am Phoenix USCIS Lockbox. Signed for by F DOMINGUEZ

April 28 NOA (received in mail May 2)

June 7 Biometrics Appt

July 26 8:10am Interview/Test APPROVED!

Jul 26 Oath Ceremony! Pete is now a US Citizen!

ficFm7.png

event.png

I would miss decent bread if I didn't make it myself. Not sure why Americans like their bread to taste like cake!

I miss Jaffa Cakes and decent bacon and sausage.

I just had a delivery of Ribena and Bisto :dance:

Everything Cadbury...especially Flake.

However, I really like many of the things that they have here that I couldn't have in England, especially my SO:D :D

I didn't know they pasteurised the Guiness, hmmm.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Timeline
What I miss most is CHEESE. THe sharp cheddars, the stiltons, the creamy lancashires, red leicesters, sage derbys, windsor reds, etc etc

Nothing would make me happier than a trip to Neil's Yard cheese shop in London.

:crying::yes:

FLAPJACKS.

Roast Beef & Mustard crisps. Or Ham & Pickle.

Sausages.

Back bacon.

Fry-ups.

Pub food.

KP Pork Scratchings

icon_eat.gif

Hungry Jack's Chicken Tikka sarnie and an Ice Cold pint of Blackthorn extra dry....Paul and I are going home fora visit in March. I plan on weighing more when I get back on the plane and I don't care! :devil: mmmmmm food......

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Cadbury's Crunchie....*sigh*

The UK makes the best choccy bars in the world!! :thumbs:

P.S. Ribena is GOOD!!

Most cities in the US have supermarkets that sell more international goods. I myself live around the corner from a shop that sells Ribena (v. expensive though), tetley tea, caddbury and galaxy chocolate, chicken tonight and many more random items.

Here in NY there is an english butchers that sells cumberland sausages and real bangers. Mmmmmmmm! You can even get marmite if that's your poison.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Oh, I used to love Jaffa cakes when I lived in Calgary (prior to 1993, there were M&S outlets there, so I could actually get St. Michael's products).

Now, nearly impossible to get these in North America.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

We're leaving the UK on Friday am. and I imagine I will miss the following things:

Muller yogurt (fruit corners)

Mini babybell cheese

Weetabix (although we'll be living 15 mins from Canada and there are supposedly shops there which sell weetabix, so we'll be sorted)

Indian take-aways and all the spices from the supermarket for home cooked Indian.

July 30th - sent off I-130s

August 7th - I-130s filed with USCIS and we receive our notification postcard a few days later

Nov 5th - sent in the DS-2001 part 1 and the DS 2001

Nov 6th - received our packet 3 stuff, which I took as I-130 approvals

Nov 13th - received packet 4 - interview scheduled for Dec 14th

Nov 20th - had medicals

Nov 24-ish - received our actual I-130 approvals, I have no idea why they took so long to arrive!

Dec 14th - interviews - approved!

Dec 16th - visas delivered

Jan 13th - leaving party :( I will miss so many people!

Jan 19th - our travel date

Feb 20th - our baby's due date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello!

I saw that you miss Galaxy, which is one thing I was very sad to leave behind after my stay in the UK. But when I was at the local store in Chicago, my fiance pointed out Dove candy, which appears to have the same exact logo as Galaxy and they are both made by Mars. Could it be our equivalent!?

Just thought I'd share :)

first of all. I think I noticed Glitter star mention IrnBru and I saw Seattle. If you ever venture to snohomish, there is a place called Piccadillly Circus Pub & restaurant and apparently they have Irn Bru. I haven't been there and never tried Irn Bru. However it could be like how US Guinness is....weak. lol (as in when they import it they make it all pastuerized and nasty)

Decent Sausages!!!!

Galaxy which THANK GOD I can drive 30 min to get at the local (sorta) British shop. (I guess they have their own sausages too but I have yet to try them)

.....and MOST of all...my Fiance as he is still over there...but I suppose he is not food or drink...but its something I miss from the UK anyway. :crying: (going over for Valentines though!! :dance: )

Met online February 2006

Went to England on working visa June 2006

Sent off I-129F October 2006 <3 <3 <3

In England until visa expired December 2006

We leave England for a stateside Christmas December 17, 2006

Karl goes back to the UK January 7, 2007

I make a scene at the airport January 7, 2007

I head back to the UK to wait it out with him February 9, 2007

K-1 Journey

10-20-2006 Mailed I-129F

10-31-2006 NOA1

01-29-2007 NOA2 via e-mail!! Woo Hoo

01-30-2007 Touch

02-02-2007 NOA2 via snail mail

02-06-2007 NVC received case

02-07-2007 NVC fowarded case on to London

02-16-2007 Packet 3 received

02-19-2007 Packet 3 mailed out

02-21-2007 Packet 3 received at Embassy

03-01-2007 Packet 4 received

03-02-2007 Karl's medical

03-30-2007 Interview - Approved!!

05-01-2007 - Flying home to Chicago

My posts are purely opinion and should not be taken as legal advice... obviously :)

ohh I can get mini baby bell cheese here!!

The first time I went to England I was 13...MANY years before I met chris..I always think I was destined to marry a brit...anyway...the first meal I had off the plane after napping from jet lag was baby bell cheese and a seedless spanish tangerine. I'll never forget it!

Edited by ajames79

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Hello!

I saw that you miss Galaxy, which is one thing I was very sad to leave behind after my stay in the UK. But when I was at the local store in Chicago, my fiance pointed out Dove candy, which appears to have the same exact logo as Galaxy and they are both made by Mars. Could it be our equivalent!?

Just thought I'd share :)

Yup, I think Dove is what Galaxy is called in the US... whether it tastes anything like the same, I have no idea! I remember when I was about 13 one of my friends used to go on and on about 'Galaxy Dove' and used to sneak out of school to buy whatever it was. Might have been a Galaxy ice cream... I really can't remember! But anyway, I digress - Dove is the name Mars uses for Galaxy in the States - try it! (and let me know what it's like...)

I'm still in the UK, so can't wax lyrical about my favourite foods, yet (well, I can, but it'll just be a big list of Stuff I Like rather than specific things I'm pining for)... will return to this thread (or make a new one) in a few months when I've started daydreaming about, say, fishfinger sandwiches/pickled onion Monster Munch/other UK culinary delights.

That said... I just KNOW I'm going to miss a good curry. God, how will I survive without it? I've had indian food in the US and it's not been anything like I'm used to... although I did have one meal in LA years ago that was sooooo good that I'm salivating at the thought of it even now! I saw an indian restaurant in Cincinnati... will have to find out if it's any good.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Thanks for the heads up! We are SW Washington, but I was just saying to my hubbie tonight that it's time for another Seattle trip soon (LOVE that City!), so we might have to do a side trip too.....

Our local 30mile away local Brit store sometimes has it, but is hit or miss. Never have any crisps though - that's what I really miss. Thankfully, I have a friend over there that sends me a box full and adds some Yorkshire Gold too!

Yep, beer.... miss some decent beer, but they sell Newcastle now, so all is not lost.

Have fun in the UK!

Decent Sausages!!!!

The Americans sell a 'version' of Cadbury chocolate, and the Dove stuff, but it is honestly not the same experience, IMO. It 'tastes' to me as if there is way more sugar and way less chocolate. Whatever they have done to the chocolate, it's just not my cup of tea at all :(

Speaking of tea...

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

That mention of Newcastle reminded me.... I used to love Newcy Brown, even though I don't think I could touch the stuff now. The first time I went to LA (1993? I think?? It was around New Year sometime, I remember that much... must find exact dates for my upcoming Packet 3 forms!) the friends-of-my-parents we were staying with bought me some mini (well, smaller than we had here) bottles of Newcastle Brown, so I had a nice stash of them in their fridge & kitchen cupboards. Just after we left, there was an earthquake... a pretty bad one, as they go, I think. I remember talking to them on the phone and being told that, although every single piece of glassware and china in the apartment had been smashed, along with all the glass in picture frames and just about everything else remotely fragile or breakable, they were glad to report that my bottles of Newcy Brown had all escaped unscathed.

(Okay, so maybe you had to be there for that to be 'funny' in a weird way, but I remember my friend being shaken up and p*ssed off that half their possessions were destroyed, but being amused that all my 'revolting' beer was apparently earthquake-proof! Go, Newcy!!) :thumbs:

Thanks for the heads up! We are SW Washington, but I was just saying to my hubbie tonight that it's time for another Seattle trip soon (LOVE that City!), so we might have to do a side trip too.....

Our local 30mile away local Brit store sometimes has it, but is hit or miss. Never have any crisps though - that's what I really miss. Thankfully, I have a friend over there that sends me a box full and adds some Yorkshire Gold too!

Yep, beer.... miss some decent beer, but they sell Newcastle now, so all is not lost.

Have fun in the UK!

Decent Sausages!!!!

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.