Abby&Mario

Should I listen to Tier 2, or is there another way?

26 posts in this topic

My case is at NVC, but I am still trying to get my hands on the USCIS approval hard copy so we can have my husband's alien registration number. It is proving difficult. Some background:

Our I-130 petition was approved April 17. I spoke to a Tier 2 rep on April 21 to confirm this; he said they would send a new hard copy to our just-changed address. Never got there. So in theory they have already sent two hard copies: one to our old address, one to our new address. I have no way to confirm this, but whether that's the case or not, we haven't received jack.

Yesterday I called to see what's going on. Tier 2 said that our zip code wasn't showing up for him on the screen. I told him that we had received the change of address notice and a notice that said we'd get the approval notice soon ( :rolleyes: ), but just not the actual approval notice. Both of these documents showed the complete new address, with zip code. He said he would fix the zip code problem and file a request to have them send another approval notice. (I still don't understand the supposed zip code problem if the other two letters got to their destination with no problem AND HAD THE ADDRESS COMPLETE WITH ZIP CODE.) Sigh.

This is annoying. We're going to get a NVC case number by the end of the month if all goes well, and we need my husband's alien registration number to fill out the forms for NVC. Tier 2 dude said that the only other way to get the alien registration number would be to visit a field office in person. Well, the closest one is in Lima and we are in Buenos Aires, so that's not gonna happen. He was very adamant that there was no way I'd be able to get it over the phone.

What should I do if in two weeks the approval notice still hasn't gotten to my parents' house? Dude said to call them again if we still hadn't gotten it, but honestly, this is ridiculous. Is there a Tier 3? Has anyone out there successfully retrieved their alien registration number another way?

USCIS (Priority date April 1, Approval April 17, no RFEs)

March 28, 2014: I-130 sent via FedEx from Bogotá to Chicago Lockbox

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 16: USCIS change of address e-mail received

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

May 22: NOA2 duplicate hard copy arrives to U.S. address

NVC

April 29, 2014: Case received

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 4, 2014: AOS payment invoiced, paid; DS-261 received by NVC

June 6, 2014: AOS payment shows as PAID in payment portal

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 1, 2014: AOS package scanned

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 6: IV invoice e-mail FINALLY received at 2:13 a.m. NVC time

August 7: IV payment made available on payment portal; paid

August 8: IV payment shows as PAID in payment portal; DS-260 becomes available

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 15: DS-260 submitted

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 8: Checklist response and IV package scanned

September 10: DS-260 accepted; false checklist received

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

September 26: Embassy change approved; new case number assigned

October 30: CASE COMPLETE

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There's no alien registration number for the beneficiary on the NOA1 or NOA2.

When speaking to NVC after USCIS approval, you can provide the receipt number which is found on the NOA1.

When filing out NVC forms and access to CEAC, what you need is the NVC case number and Invoice ID Number (IIN).

Edited by apple21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My case is at NVC, but I am still trying to get my hands on the USCIS approval hard copy so we can have my husband's alien registration number. It is proving difficult. Some background:

Our I-130 petition was approved April 17. I spoke to a Tier 2 rep on April 21 to confirm this; he said they would send a new hard copy to our just-changed address. Never got there. So in theory they have already sent two hard copies: one to our old address, one to our new address. I have no way to confirm this, but whether that's the case or not, we haven't received jack.

Yesterday I called to see what's going on. Tier 2 said that our zip code wasn't showing up for him on the screen. I told him that we had received the change of address notice and a notice that said we'd get the approval notice soon ( :rolleyes: ), but just not the actual approval notice. Both of these documents showed the complete new address, with zip code. He said he would fix the zip code problem and file a request to have them send another approval notice. (I still don't understand the supposed zip code problem if the other two letters got to their destination with no problem AND HAD THE ADDRESS COMPLETE WITH ZIP CODE.) Sigh.

This is annoying. We're going to get a NVC case number by the end of the month if all goes well, and we need my husband's alien registration number to fill out the forms for NVC. Tier 2 dude said that the only other way to get the alien registration number would be to visit a field office in person. Well, the closest one is in Lima and we are in Buenos Aires, so that's not gonna happen. He was very adamant that there was no way I'd be able to get it over the phone.

What should I do if in two weeks the approval notice still hasn't gotten to my parents' house? Dude said to call them again if we still hadn't gotten it, but honestly, this is ridiculous. Is there a Tier 3? Has anyone out there successfully retrieved their alien registration number another way?

You been chasing needlessly. Focus on getting your case#. Read the NVC process Wiki in my signature please. Call NVC and keep calling until they assign the case#. Sorry you been wasting your time. Forget USCIS.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife was not issued an Alien Registration Number on I-130 approval,

and

I not use any Alien Registration Number when doing her paperwork at NVC.

I think (the OP) is worried about a non-event.

Also,the approval notice is NOT NEEDED for anything else (unlike a K-1 visa holder, where the Alien Registration # and approval notice are needed for other stuff)

If I were you, I'd focus again with a Tier 2 human at USCIS, inquiring exactly what day it left the dock at USCIS on it's way to NVC. Remind the Tier 2 that you are not asking about when the approved casefile was sent off for scanning into an A-File (they confuse these 2 events) but actually when the casefile was sent out to NVC, leaving the dock at USCIS.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

You been chasing needlessly. Focus on getting your case#. Read the NVC process Wiki in my signature please. Call NVC and keep calling until they assign the case#. Sorry you been wasting your time. Forget USCIS.

Chasing needlessly? I'll explain again: I can't completely fill out the NVC forms until I have the alien registration number that comes from USCIS, the number that apparently only appears on the approval hard copy. I am extremely familiar with Saylin's NVC wiki and already understand the process. We have just about everything ready for NVC, but again, we need the alien registration number for the forms. I already call NVC every couple of days about the case number, but if you look at my signature you will see they received it April 29, so the fact that I don't have a case number yet isn't the problem. I'd love to be able to forget USCIS, but until I get that alien registration number, I can't.

If you are implying that one can fill out the NVC forms without the applicant's USCIS-issued alien registration number, please say so. If you are implying that once I have a case number with NVC, I can get the alien registration number over the phone from NVC, please say so.

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

NVC

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Chasing needlessly? I'll explain again: I can't completely fill out the NVC forms until I have the alien registration number that comes from USCIS, the number that apparently only appears on the approval hard copy. I am extremely familiar with Saylin's NVC wiki and already understand the process. We have just about everything ready for NVC, but again, we need the alien registration number for the forms. I already call NVC every couple of days about the case number, but if you look at my signature you will see they received it April 29, so the fact that I don't have a case number yet isn't the problem. I'd love to be able to forget USCIS, but until I get that alien registration number, I can't.

If you are implying that one can fill out the NVC forms without the applicant's USCIS-issued alien registration number, please say so. If you are implying that once I have a case number with NVC, I can get the alien registration number over the phone from NVC, please say so.

You will not get an alien registration number with the I-130 petition. They don't issue one. You don't need it to fill out the forms. You would write "NONE" in the spot where it asks for the number.

Texas Service Centre

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

02/14/13: Got Married

USCIS

10/16/13: i-130 Sent

10/25/13: NOA1

03/05/14: NOA2

NVC

03/11/14: NVC Received Case

04/10/14: Case Number and IIN Assigned

04/15/14: 4:07 PM: Received email from NVC that AOS Fee was ready to be paid

04/15/14: 4:28 PM: Received email from NVC containing Case number and IIN

04/15/14: DS-261 Available and Completed

04/15/14: AOS Fee Available and Paid

04/18/14: AOS Fee Shows PAID

04/18/14: EP ENROLL Email Sent (Received AutoReply)

04/21/14: IV Fee Invoiced

04/22/14: 4:23 PM: Received email from NVC that IV Fee was ready to be paid

04/24/14: IV Fee Available and Paid

04/25/14: IV Fee Withdrawn From Bank Account

05/02/14: IV Fee still "In Process" called NVC for supervisor to fix it

05/07/14: IV Fee Shows PAID

05/07/14: DS-260 Available and Completed

05/21/14: 10:29 AM: EP ENROLL Acceptance Email Received

05/28/14: AOS Package Emailed to NVC (Received AutoReply)

xx/xx/14: IV Package Emailed to NVC

xx/xx/14: Case Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview Scheduled

xx/xx/14: Schedule Medical

xx/xx/14: NVC Shipped Case to Consulate

xx/xx/14: Medical Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview at Consulate

xx/xx/14: Visa in Hand

xx/xx/14: POE

Timeline

We are all telling you there is no alien number assigned to IR1/CR1. You will be given a Case# and IIN (Individual Identification Number) those are the only two numbers required and needed.

You will be assigned and given your case# with your Visa when you are approved after interview.

The only people who would fill in Alien # are those who had one previously who were petitioned before otherwise no you won't have one.

Could you please tell us where you got this information that an Alien # is required to get through NVC? Because you would be the first to be told this. Remember USCIS is the mis-information line for a reason.

Edited by dwheels76

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

maybe a form changed and I not pay attention?

perhaps that's it?

Alien Registration number not needed at NVC, to the best of my knowledge.

Sure, my knowledge *might* be out of date, but I've not read of folk complaining about this in a monthly NVC topic this year.

We are all telling you there is no alien number assigned to IR1/CR1. You will be given a Consular CaseFile # and IIN (Invoice Identification Number) those are the only two numbers required and needed.

You will be assigned and given your Alien Registration # with your Visa when you are approved after interview. There is a immigrant visa summary sheet stapled to the outside of the visa packet - scan that sheet, email it around.

Edited to reflect correct labels [sorry, D]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Edited to reflect correct labels [sorry, D]

Thank you Darnell. :luv:

ROC I-751

N-400

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are implying that one can fill out the NVC forms without the applicant's USCIS-issued alien registration number, please say so. YES.

If you are implying that once I have a case number with NVC, I can get the alien registration number over the phone from NVC, please say so. They will not give the beneficiary an alien registration number. What NVC will give you, for access to CEAC, is the CASE NUMBER and IIN.

Case# and IIN is all you need. :thumbs:

You will not get an alien registration number with the I-130 petition. They don't issue one. You don't need it to fill out the forms. You would write "NONE" in the spot where it asks for the number.

We are all telling you there is no alien number assigned to IR1/CR1. You will be given a Case# and IIN (Individual Identification Number) those are the only two numbers required and needed.

You will be assigned and given your case# with your Visa when you are approved after interview.

The only people who would fill in Alien # are those who had one previously who were petitioned before otherwise no you won't have one.

Alien Registration number not needed at NVC, to the best of my knowledge.

Sure, my knowledge *might* be out of date, but I've not read of folk complaining about this in a monthly NVC topic this year.

Thank you very much, everyone. (Sorry, didn't quote everyone, but the replies keep coming in.) Makes sense that since the K1 people fill out the same AOS form eventually, there's a spot for alien registration number. I appreciate the help!! As soon as I get my case number, we will be good to go! Hell yeah!

I love Visa Journey!

NVC

Embassy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't need one. Just write N/A.

You will not write N/A as it is applicable, but you don't have one. You would write NONE.

Texas Service Centre

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

02/14/13: Got Married

USCIS

10/16/13: i-130 Sent

10/25/13: NOA1

03/05/14: NOA2

NVC

03/11/14: NVC Received Case

04/10/14: Case Number and IIN Assigned

04/15/14: 4:07 PM: Received email from NVC that AOS Fee was ready to be paid

04/15/14: 4:28 PM: Received email from NVC containing Case number and IIN

04/15/14: DS-261 Available and Completed

04/15/14: AOS Fee Available and Paid

04/18/14: AOS Fee Shows PAID

04/18/14: EP ENROLL Email Sent (Received AutoReply)

04/21/14: IV Fee Invoiced

04/22/14: 4:23 PM: Received email from NVC that IV Fee was ready to be paid

04/24/14: IV Fee Available and Paid

04/25/14: IV Fee Withdrawn From Bank Account

05/02/14: IV Fee still "In Process" called NVC for supervisor to fix it

05/07/14: IV Fee Shows PAID

05/07/14: DS-260 Available and Completed

05/21/14: 10:29 AM: EP ENROLL Acceptance Email Received

05/28/14: AOS Package Emailed to NVC (Received AutoReply)

xx/xx/14: IV Package Emailed to NVC

xx/xx/14: Case Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview Scheduled

xx/xx/14: Schedule Medical

xx/xx/14: NVC Shipped Case to Consulate

xx/xx/14: Medical Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview at Consulate

xx/xx/14: Visa in Hand

xx/xx/14: POE

You will not write N/A as it is applicable, but you don't have one. You would write NONE.

Yep, got it, thanks. :yes: Learned about N/A vs. none around the time we filed the I-130 thanks to the forum! Very important distinction. I appreciate you writing that.

VJ members, good looking out! Can you tell I'm in a great mood now that I know I don't have to wait on hold with USCIS anymore? No callback option when you're calling from abroad with an app. Wahoooooo! :dance:

NVC

Embassy

Timeline

Yep, got it, thanks. :yes: Learned about N/A vs. none around the time we filed the I-130 thanks to the forum! Very important distinction. I appreciate you writing that.

VJ members, good looking out! Can you tell I'm in a great mood now that I know I don't have to wait on hold with USCIS anymore? No callback option when you're calling from abroad with an app. Wahoooooo! :dance:

Great attitude and mood you have. And thanks for asking cuz i am sure someone out there wanted to ask but didn't want to. Now phewwwwwwwwwww now the Case# wait, My bad Consular Casefile #. hehe :goofy:

ROC I-751

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.