masry00

I-864, Affidavit of Support . help pls

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

hello everyone

after 11 months of AP embassy called me to renew the medical and police report and tax 2013 and joint sponsor . my wife make enough but I don't know why they ask about joint sponsor . I made some research about how much sponsor need I found out that they change it to more money per year before was around 18.000 now 2014 is 19.662 $ per year . can anyone pleas explain to me what I need if my wife make around 18.500 $ per year so I will be short with more than 1000 $ . and is the new rules is I must make it or it doesn't matter or shall I send them tell them I don't have joint sponsor ? I am not real doing good about counting how much they need . can someone explain to me how much I need per year ? we are just me and her .. thanks a lot

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your wife's income is not enough for a household of 2 (you + her). Her 2013 income tax return should show income of at least $19,662 in order to qualify.

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

You need a joint sponsor. No joint sponsor, no visa.

Edited by apple21

You've got the current income requirement correct at $19,662 for a family of 2.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If she doesn't make that income, she'll need a joint sponsor or to make up the difference in assets that are acceptable to USCIS.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

If You Can’t Meet the Minimum Income Requirements

If you cannot meet the minimum income requirements using your earned income, you have various options:

• You may add the cash value of your assets. This includes money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125% of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over).
    • Exceptions:
      • If the person being sponsored is a spouse, or son/daughter (who is 18 years or older) of a U.S. citizen: The minimum cash value of assets must be three times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and 125% of the federal poverty guide line for the household.
      • If the person being sponsored is an orphan coming to the United States for adoption: The adoptive parents’ assets need to equal or exceed the difference between the household income and 125% of the federal poverty line for the household size.
  • You may count the income and assets of members of your household who are related to you by birth, marriage, or adoption. To use their income you must have listed them as dependents on your most recent federal tax return or they must have lived with you for the last 6 months. They must also complete a Form I-864A, Contract between Sponsor and Household Member. If the relative you are sponsoring meets these criteria you may include the value of their income and assets, but the immigrant does not need to complete Form I-864A unless he or she has accompanying family members.
  • You may count the assets of the relatives you are sponsoring.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Does she have and assets? (Money in savings, retirement savings)? You woul need 3x the shortfall or around $3000 ... Or joint sponsor. If she cannot satisfy the financial requirement or get a joint sponsor you will not get visa ... No Money no Honey...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Question on the AOS packages. i'm getting ready to send the AOS for wife and stepson.

Do you pay the AOS fees once? $88 or twice for wife and stepson.

Also, do you send two AOS packages?

Wife package:

Cover Letter, write the case number and INN number

NVC notice letter that the AOS fee has been paid, the I-864 and W'2 last three years, Tax transcripts last 3 years, pay stubs "last 6 months", employment letter.

Stepson package:

Cover Letter, write the case number and INN number on the cover letter. or I just need the case number.

NVC notice letter that the AOS fee has been paid (pay once) from wife portal page

, stepson I-864 and

Photocopies of W'2 last three years, Tax transcripts last 3 years, pay stubs "last 6 months", employment letter.

Thanks in advance for you response.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Question on the AOS packages. i'm getting ready to send the AOS for wife and stepson.

Do you pay the AOS fees once? $88 or twice for wife and stepson.

Also, do you send two AOS packages?

Wife package:

Cover Letter, write the case number and INN number

NVC notice letter that the AOS fee has been paid, the I-864 and W'2 last three years, Tax transcripts last 3 years, pay stubs "last 6 months", employment letter.

Stepson package:

Cover Letter, write the case number and INN number on the cover letter. or I just need the case number.

NVC notice letter that the AOS fee has been paid (pay once) from wife portal page

, stepson I-864 and

Photocopies of W'2 last three years, Tax transcripts last 3 years, pay stubs "last 6 months", employment letter.

Thanks in advance for you response.

Please start your own thread/topic. :)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Your wife's income is not enough for a household of 2 (you + her). Her 2013 income tax return should show income of at least $19,662 in order to qualify.

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

You need a joint sponsor. No joint sponsor, no visa.

Qualifying income for the "employed", does not come from a past tax return. Evidence of current income would be a pay stub or employer letter. Tax returns are about the past. Otherwise, your number is correct.

To the OP, the number has not been as low as $18,500 form at least five years.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

been 11 months of waiting so I get confused about numbers . so the update is my wife is make enough in 2011 & 2012 & 2013 she make more than 20.000 USD and they need only 19662 USD . so its normal to ask for tax 2013 I agree with this . why they ask for joint sponsor ? its not make since to me ! if she make enough why they would ask for joint sponsor ? shall I send the medical and police papers and tax 2013 with explanation that she make enough in the 3 years and we don't need joint sponsor ? or what shall I do ? thanks

Timeline

Meeting the minimum required income is not a guarantee of success. It's still a judgment call. In the Consular Officer's judgment, they are not willing to issue the visa without a joint sponsor. So, without a joint sponsor, no visa.

You are still talking about the past though. 2013 or ANY tax return is about the past. One qualifies to sponsor based on their current total income. To illustrate, a person could have made 50,000 year for the last three years, but if they lost their job last month, their "current income" would be zero. On the other hand, they could have been a student the last three years and just got a 50,000 a year job a few months ago. Their current income would be 50,000, and they would likely qualify as a sponsor, even with zero income from past tax returns.

What is her current income?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

your right about that I am talking about the past but I am talking about what they asking for tax 2013 she is working in that place since some years and her income getting more every year . and she still working and didn't lost her job and her currant income is great like never before too . that's why i am asking why i need joint sponsor . that you will be right if she lost her job or anything from all that but she still working normal since years in same place .

Timeline

your right about that I am talking about the past but I am talking about what they asking for tax 2013 she is working in that place since some years and her income getting more every year . and she still working and didn't lost her job and her currant income is great like never before too . that's why i am asking why i need joint sponsor . that you will be right if she lost her job or anything from all that but she still working normal since years in same place .

Again, how much is her current income? How long has she been earning that level of income? What evidence did you provide of her current income?

Answer, or I'm out of here.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

her current income is 2289 USD she earning that level of income since 2 years . before that she was earning less but still covered . before we send check to prove the current income but they didn't asked that from us now . they only asked tax 2013 and joint sponsor !

Timeline

If you submitted a properly completed i-864 from your wife, correctly stating and documenting her current income, and they are still asking for a joint sponsor, give them what they ask for, or there will be no visa. This is a judgment call by the Consular Officer and they are tasked with making that call.

On the other hand, if you did not correctly state and document your wife's current income, you could try providing a new and current affidavit of support from her, properly completed and with full documentation, three complete tax returns and the most recent pay stub showing current and year to date income.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Current income is projected YEARLY not how much she makes per pay check or how much she has made this year so far.

For instance, if her gross income (before taxes) is 1000 and she gets paid every week. $1000x52= $52000.

Make sense?

Also because it's past the April 15th deadline to file taxes, if the consulate chooses they can ask for an updated I-864 with 2013 tax information.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

hello everyone

thanks for everyone have answered me even if I didn't believed what u all have said about that I need joint sponsor no matter if my wife make enough or not . I have believed in my self and I have message the embassy and I wanna say that there is no joint sponsor there is visa . I get my visa guys and I didn't need joint sponsor and I have explained that to the embassy and they agreed with me . there is no joint sponsor there is visa for sure . just all you have to do to believe in your self . but many thanks for everyone tried to help me . wish u good luck guys for everyone .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.