SRS77

Question on Co-Mingling of Finances - Africa - mostly cash based life

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My husband and I have been living in his home country of Tanzania for six months. We met last June and stayed in touch via email and phone. I returned five months later and we married three months after I arrived. I sent him money during the first half of our relationship via Moneygram and have been supporting us during our time in Tanzania. He has a small monthly income, all cash based. Life in Tanzania is mainly all cash based so we have no proof that I can think of for financial co-mingling. Will the Moneygram receipts prove previous financial co-mingling? What about my bank statements and ATM receipts during my time here (I've been keeping them for the last month or so)?

I tried to have him added to my US bank acct but of course he needs an SSN first. I need a resident permit in Tanzania to get on his bank account here. I can get residency but I would only be getting it to add my name to his bank account. There would be no other reason. He owns his house and there are no utilities except water that is provided by our neighbor and paid in cash. Electric here is not billed but rather pay as you go, and also purchased only with cash.

We plan to take a trip to Kenya this month and thought to use his MasterCard debit card and I would use my Visa debit card during the trip to show we both paid for things. Is this a good idea? Even finding places that accept Visa and MasterCard will be hard. Are there other ways to have financial co-mingling evidence in a mostly cash based life? I am not leaving Tanzania until the end of June, so I have some time to put together more evidence. I hope to file the I-130 petition upon my return to the states at the end of June.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moneygram receipts are not evidence of financial co-mingling, they just show that you sent money.

Financial co-mingling is not required to file an I-130 nor is it required for a visa, USCIS as well as the Embassy will not expect a couple living apart in separate countries to have done this.

Evidence you are able to gather during the trip to Kenya should be focused more on time spent together in-person and not financial co-mingling. At this stage of the game, evidence of time spent together in-person is your best and strongest evidence.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you. I see your point. I was going off the vj guides for evidence supporting a bonafide marriage because we don't own property together or have a joint lease. My husband owns his house outright. However, this also goes back to your point about being in separate countries and not living together therefore not having a joint lease of joint or joint property ownership.

So for the I-130 petition they just want evidence of time spent together? Such as plane ticket receipts, boarding passes, my passport stamps showing I was in his home country? What about my certificate showing I converted to his religion? Should I send a copy of his house and land deed and a letter from the street ambassador saying I lived here for six months? The ambassador lives across the street from us. I see him daily. We took a trip to Kenya in February together. We both have passport stamps leaving and entering Tanzania and entering into Kenya. He also was required at the border to have one vaccine done and we have the receipt of that as well as the vaccine stamp and entry in his international (yellow) vaccine card, but no other receipts. Paid cash for our guesthouse, food, etc.

One other question, since we got married in Tanzania does USCIS require an international marriage certificate or will a Tanzania gov issued certificate be adequate? I haven't saw anywhere requiring a certified one. Not sure if they offer certified ones here. The US embassy website for Tanzania states "Once you are married in Tanzania, you do not have to register or confirm your marriage at the Embassy for it to be recognized in the United States."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

They need an official document to state that you are married. All the guides are written as though you live in the US where certified copies are the norm. Each embassy knows what is the norm for the country. Look up others that have gone through the same place to see what they list as having submitted. As to co mingling and other things on the list of evidence. DOn't go out of your way manufacturing stuff because it looks just like manufactured evidence.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.