jworld34

Questions with Affidavit of Support/Medical Exam

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey all,

Just have a few questions regarding the affidavit of support and the medical exam that will be done around the time of the interview.

1.) My wife and I both added each other's last names, however her passport and other official documents still have her maiden name. In regards to filling out her name on the Affidavit of Support, should we be using her maiden name, the one that is on all of her official documents, OR her OFFICIAL (LEGAL) last name, which has since been changed to include mine (But that is not yet updated to be on her official documents)?

2.) Also, in regards to the AOS, we will have a joint sponsor. So would it be okay that we fill out the forms that we need to here (in Brasil), and send them to the joint sponsor (my parents) in the US, where they can put the package together and send it from there? Or does the AOS package need to be sent from us specifically?

3.) Lastly, my wife is slightly concerned with the upcoming medical exam. Is the medical exam pretty thorough? It's just kind of awkward for my wife to find a doctor she has never gone to before, and then get this thorough and complete, and pretty private, medical exam done. Does anyone have any ideas on how it is? Can it be uncomfortable? Does it last that long? Can I go with her? Just asking because I was reading on the USCIS website that it's a pretty thorough exam, and she's a little worried that it'll be uncomfortable for her since it's just walking into a doctor she has never been to before. Will we be able to choose a doctor she goes to, or will it be at the interview time that she goes through this?

Thanks all, we really appreciate it.

Best of luck to everybody!!

T+J

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I can only answer as the medical in Mexico is, the give you a robe and you take off your shirt but stay with pants on for the chest x ray, you get dress again and go for the blood drew... after that they separate men and woman and enter different rooms... they take your height, weight, sight exam and keep waiting for a private examination room. Once is your turn you go in, they give you another robe and you get completely undress. Just when the doctor come in they ask you to take it off, they made a normal exam and they see superficially your whole body. A little uncomfy for me because Im really shy on those situations but nothing yo worry about

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Jworld34,

1) You should use your wife's legal last name. If you want to avoid any chance for confusion, list her legal last name, followed by her maiden name in parenthesis, as in this example: Smith (Nelson). That way, both names are present to avoid the possibility of confusion or any accusation that you two are trying to pull something on the officials.

2) I don't know about the AOS for the IR-1/CR-1 visa. I processed an AOS for my fiance's K-1 visa (Form I-134), and he had to bring that with him to his interview, along with supporting documentation. For your visa, though, the research I've done seems to indicate that it doesn't matter who files the forms for you, or where they originate from as long as you file the AOS with form I-485. If your parents are going to mail them for you, they just need to be sure they're mailing them to the right address, according to your situation. If you haven't already, read the USCIS' information on Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485.

3) My fiance did his medical exam (in Nairobi) three weeks ago. He said it was fine, but then again, he's a guy and the Dr. was a man. I'm sure there was less to be uncomfortable about than for women with a male Dr. As the previous respondent mentioned, my fiance also had blood tests, vaccinations, chest x-rays and a comprehensive medical exam, covering his whole body. He didn't mention it being wierd at all.

The process for making your medical appointment does not give you the chance to choose your Dr. You choose your clinic, but not your Dr., and even then, your clinic choices are limited to the U.S.-approved clinics, which in our case, was only one in the whole of Kenya. So, basically no choice.

My fiance's exam was a two-day exam, about four hours each day (not the actual time with the Dr., but the waiting and such). I believe it's the same for all immigrants. The medical visit is something you arrange with one of the U.S.-approved clinics. You can only arrange the medical visit after you have made your interview appointment (or received your letter with your appointment date), and then, when you go to make your medical appointment, it must be at least two weeks prior to your interview date (to allow for any follow-up). I would advise you do your medical as soon as possible so that you have maximum time to address any issues that come up before your interview. Otherwise, your interview may be delayed. (An example: When my fiance was in the waiting room at the Nairobi medical clinic, he met another African immigrant who had had his visa interview delayed 12 weeks because when he was screened for TB, there were signs of the disease. The U.S. would not let him interview until he had taken certain medications for 12 weeks. This delayed his process and cost him a lot of money in treatment, I am sure.)

I hope that helps!

erin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey all,

Just have a few questions regarding the affidavit of support and the medical exam that will be done around the time of the interview.

1.) My wife and I both added each other's last names, however her passport and other official documents still have her maiden name. In regards to filling out her name on the Affidavit of Support, should we be using her maiden name, the one that is on all of her official documents, OR her OFFICIAL (LEGAL) last name, which has since been changed to include mine (But that is not yet updated to be on her official documents)?

Good question. I could be wrong but perhaps if she legally changed her name, she should be using her legal name. The marriage certificate presented at the consulate will clarify this.

2.) Also, in regards to the AOS, we will have a joint sponsor. So would it be okay that we fill out the forms that we need to here (in Brasil), and send them to the joint sponsor (my parents) in the US, where they can put the package together and send it from there? Or does the AOS package need to be sent from us specifically?

The AOS packet can be sent from anywhere.

3.) Lastly, my wife is slightly concerned with the upcoming medical exam. Is the medical exam pretty thorough? It's just kind of awkward for my wife to find a doctor she has never gone to before, and then get this thorough and complete, and pretty private, medical exam done. Does anyone have any ideas on how it is? Can it be uncomfortable? Does it last that long? Can I go with her? Just asking because I was reading on the USCIS website that it's a pretty thorough exam, and she's a little worried that it'll be uncomfortable for her since it's just walking into a doctor she has never been to before. Will we be able to choose a doctor she goes to, or will it be at the interview time that she goes through this?

In Brazil, the only doctors that she can visit for the visa are:

BELO HORIZONTE:

Dra.Juliana B. Cançado

Rua dos Otoni 927 / 602

Bairro Santa Efigênia

Tel: (31) 3292.3938 e (31) 3224.2335

RIO DE JANEIRO:

Dr. Aurelio Garrido

Av. Ataulfo de Paiva, 135/904 Leblon

22440-010

Tel:(21)2274-8641

E-mail: garrido@pobox.com

SÃO PAULO:

Dr. João Jorge Leite

R. Sergipe, 441 / 111A - 01243-001

Higienópolis - Internet:

http://joaojl.sites.uol.com.br

Tel:(11)3663-0404 (11)3661-9522

My husband has been through a medical exam for a visa, before (when he came as a student). He scheduled his medical for the immigrant visa, this morning. They will take chest x-rays (to test for TB), check to make sure vaccines are current, do blood work, and a general physical. I am not sure of this but I have heard that women will also get an OBGYN exam. I think she will be OK. She's just nervous but that's normal.

Thanks all, we really appreciate it.

Best of luck to everybody!!

Boa sorte! I am attaching an official letter from the consulate site about the medical exam. It's a .pdf

T+J

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

We're currently working on the I-864, and have a few questions. We will have my dad as a joint sponsor, as he is the main "income" within my family.

1.) In regards to "Part 5: Sponsor's Household Size", the true household size at my residence in the US is 3, not including my wife and I. However it mentions to add up lines 1-7, and that adds up to 3 (Counting my mom, dad, and brother). Just want to make sure they are talking about in the simple terms of this form, and household size is a whole new meaning in regards to filling out this form and within those 7 lines. Also that they mean right now, not what the household size will be AFTER we move there.

2.) Also in regards to "Part 5", the line 3 mentions that "If you are married, enter "1" for your spouse". But this is under the "Persons NOT sponsored" section. Slightly confused in regards to whether that is a "1" or "0", since my wife will be sponsored by myself and my dad.

3.) In regards to line 7, which is "OPTIONAL" and asks about siblings, parents or adult children who have the same residence and are combining their income with mine. So, in simpler terms, I would put "1" since my dad will be a joint sponsor?

4.) In "Part 6", it mentions any income I am using from another person within my household. Is this my joint sponsor? If so, therefore would I just fill out "Person 1" in terms of my dad? And for my father's form, would he put the same but my information, as I am another person in the household he is combining his income with?

Lastly, will my father be filling out the same I-864 form that I am? Nothing different?

Sorry for all the questions, but we just want to make sure we do this perfectly with no mistakes!!

Thanks everybody for the help!!

T+J

Okay don't put your wife's maiden name in parentheses. There is a spot for "other names used."

Just so you know, Visa comes in Passport name. Green card comes in Visa name. Costs $450 once you obtain the green card to change the name on it (or it can be done at removal of conditions if that applies.) Your wife's LEGAL last name, for all intensive purposes for this process is whatever is on her passport. If you want her to use her married name, you must change her passport before the interview.

For the AOS, you can mail it to your parents who are your joint sponsors and they can send it. That's fine. It doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it has everything required.

The medical exam should not be invasive. At the most they may "check" so see that your wife is indeed female, but that's about it. There is no vaginal exam. She may not even have to take off her bra. Check in your regional forum to see what others have to do but it shouldn't be invasive except that she will need to get blood drawn and xrays of her chest (which they can take with a gown on.) The exam MUST be done by a panel physician but she can choose which one. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/medical-examination.html Looks like for Brazil there are 3.

Household size is not who lives in a house but rather those who are dependent on each other financially or via taxes. Your household count would be 2. You and the intending immigrant (do not count her as your wife if she is the immigrant... then you're counting her twice.)

For your father it would be him, his wife, and anyone he claims on his taxes or any children under the age of majority PLUS the intending immigrant. If he doesn't claim you or your brother, and your brother is over 18, then neither of you are counted on the household counts for your father.

You are ALWAYS the main sponsor and must count your wife. Any joint sponsors also count the intending immigrant(s.)

As per Part 6... No. You sign a completed I-864.

Your father signs a completed I-864. If your father files jointly with your mother they can do one of three things:

1) Only your father signs an I-864 and he sends his entire tax return including any schedules and his w2

2) Only your father signs an I-864 and he sends a tax return transcript with his W2 indicating he's only including his own income.

3) Your father signs and I-864 AND your mother signs an I-864a as a household member of your father.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Okay don't put your wife's maiden name in parentheses. There is a spot for "other names used."

Just so you know, Visa comes in Passport name. Green card comes in Visa name. Costs $450 once you obtain the green card to change the name on it (or it can be done at removal of conditions if that applies.) Your wife's LEGAL last name, for all intensive purposes for this process is whatever is on her passport. If you want her to use her married name, you must change her passport before the interview.

For the AOS, you can mail it to your parents who are your joint sponsors and they can send it. That's fine. It doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it has everything required.

The medical exam should not be invasive. At the most they may "check" so see that your wife is indeed female, but that's about it. There is no vaginal exam. She may not even have to take off her bra. Check in your regional forum to see what others have to do but it shouldn't be invasive except that she will need to get blood drawn and xrays of her chest (which they can take with a gown on.) The exam MUST be done by a panel physician but she can choose which one. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/medical-examination.html Looks like for Brazil there are 3.

Household size is not who lives in a house but rather those who are dependent on each other financially or via taxes. Your household count would be 2. You and the intending immigrant (do not count her as your wife if she is the immigrant... then you're counting her twice.)

For your father it would be him, his wife, and anyone he claims on his taxes or any children under the age of majority PLUS the intending immigrant. If he doesn't claim you or your brother, and your brother is over 18, then neither of you are counted on the household counts for your father.

You are ALWAYS the main sponsor and must count your wife. Any joint sponsors also count the intending immigrant(s.)

As per Part 6... No. You sign a completed I-864.

Your father signs a completed I-864. If your father files jointly with your mother they can do one of three things:

1) Only your father signs an I-864 and he sends his entire tax return including any schedules and his w2

2) Only your father signs an I-864 and he sends a tax return transcript with his W2 indicating he's only including his own income.

3) Your father signs and I-864 AND your mother signs an I-864a as a household member of your father.

Thanks, I'm just a little confused because of Part 5 where it says "OPTIONAL" and mentions if there is anyone else combining their income with mine. My father will be combining his income with mine, and that's where I am a bit confused.

Do I leave my household size as 2, and fill out the Assets to Supplement Income? Or do I add my father (1) to the "OPTIONAL" choice in part 5, and he fills out I-864A as a joint sponsor? Because I will need my father's income to meet the federal income requirements as a sponsor.

Will my dad be filling out an I-864A? Or will he be filling out the same I-864 as me?

Thanks everybody.

Edited by jworld34

You father, if he meets the income requirements on his own, should be a separate joint sponsor and you do not combine incomes. You each would sign a completed I-864. Really the only time you should combine incomes for this visa type is if a) the beneficiary is using their income because it will continue in the USA or b) joint sponsor spouses. Since neither of those are happening, forgo trying to combine incomes with your father.

If you assets do not push you over the poverty guidelines level then do not even include them.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.