Dean_De

DS 261 question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask anybody here who may have the answer. We just got our case & invoice number hardcopy ( through email ) from the NVC, and since my son who is a minor seemed to have a problem ( fear about the medical - he's afraid of needles ) we thought its best to start a new I-130 petition for our daughter too ( minor ) that way, both of the will do the medical and interview at the same time, hopefully it having his younger sister do the same process help ease his fear.

Anyway, we've decided to do the AOS after we get the approval for this new petition were getting ready to send with the USCIS. That way, we can do the AOS and rest of the process for the 2 I-130's same time. My question, do we have to fill out the DS-261 now or we can do it later too ones the other petition is approved and ready for the NVC?

thank you!

add'l question:

1. how long does it take when the IV bill is paid to get the interview at the US embassy in Manila?

2. do they really ask / interview minor children?

3. Do they have to provide proof at the embassy, like pictures or anything with the petitioner in it?

Edited by Dean_De

Timeline

what about the CRBA? it will easier and quicker process...

I don't think they will qualify, my USC husband is their stepdad and I am still an LPR. Isn't CRBA only for those child/ren who are born to a US citizen parent before their birth?

Did your children not qualify for follow to join off of your K1 or has too much time passed?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If you are doing the I-130 route for everyone because you're already married, then personally I would wait for all the cases to be at the NVC to pay any fees. This way the cases are joined up and there is only a single $88 AOS fee.

1) no idea... depends on if you get any checklists and how fast manila is sending out interviews after case complete. Saylin has a spreadsheet she keeps that information on.

2) yes they can. But they're pretty basic questions if they ask any. The child MUST be present though.

3) bringing information to the embassy is up to you. The step-children do not need to provide proof of meeting their step-parent (petitioner) etc... Evidence isn't a requirement.

As a mother, I'm really unsure why'd anyone would ever marry someone from a foreign country when their children have never met their new step parent. However I know my daughter didn't have a bunch of pictures with my husband before we got married because my husband hates pictures.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

If you are doing the I-130 route for everyone because you're already married, then personally I would wait for all the cases to be at the NVC to pay any fees. This way the cases are joined up and there is only a single $88 AOS fee.

1) no idea... depends on if you get any checklists and how fast manila is sending out interviews after case complete. Saylin has a spreadsheet she keeps that information on.

2) yes they can. But they're pretty basic questions if they ask any. The child MUST be present though.

3) bringing information to the embassy is up to you. The step-children do not need to provide proof of meeting their step-parent (petitioner) etc... Evidence isn't a requirement.

As a mother, I'm really unsure why'd anyone would ever marry someone from a foreign country when their children have never met their new step parent. However I know my daughter didn't have a bunch of pictures with my husband before we got married because my husband hates pictures.

Hi NLR,

Yes, I have been married to my USC husband for 3 years now. Just for clarification, since we are still waiting for the approval from the USCIS for the 2nd I-130 petition my husband had sent in behalf of my daughter ( her step child too ), if and when USCIS approved the said petition, that is the time we will do the DS 261 and pay the AOS? And you said I will just have to pay 1 AOS fee ($88 ) for both petitions?

My children had met y husband many 4 times already and they talk over the phone & through skype..they do have pictures ( or we as a family have pictures ) however, since Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda hit our place, the pictures they have of us are gone. I am asking if the US Embassy needs proof that they met my husband for us to send them the pictures again through mail. It's impossible to send via email documentation because as of this time the internet in our area had not yet been restored.

Thank you!

Dhel

You won't need to provide proof that your children and husband have met. While it's great to bring family photos etc as evidence for YOUR case, to the interview, if it's not possible then it's not.

Also you may want to adjust your profile as it says you've filed for the K1 vs the IR1.

You can do the DS-261 BUT I would wait until the approved petition gets to the NVC and joined up with your petition to pay any fees. This will ensure that a) you only pay 1 AOS fee and 2) the interviews will be on the same day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.