Maineman87

Changing name on passport

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone I just hit a snag :help: while researching how to change the name of my wife's passport to her married name. I am gathering all the documents together and according to the PHILIPPINE CONSULATE HONOLULU website, along with "The Report of Marriage" a certain document is needed when applying for a passport to change name.

post-178372-0-51404500-1397812254_thumb.png

http://www.philippineshonolulu.org/index.php?page=consular-services-honolulu/faq-honolulu/#changename

"Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card"

Can someone explain to me some examples of these proofs that are needed, such as the resident alien card that I bring to the consulate. My wife is here on a K-1 Visa, we just got married on March 15,2014 within the 90 day time limit, SSN name is being changed tomorrow, and AOS forms will be mailed next week to USCIS.
I want to update her passport in the meantime while waiting for the AOS to be reviewed, so we can go on a trip to the Philippines with the AP (I-131) I applied for with the AOS, around October. I just want to make it easier getting through customs and the whole ticket reservations process.
Through my research I understand as long as you have a unexpired passport even with her maiden name, the AP, and marriage certificate you still can travel without worries. But I feel more comfortable if passport matched all her other documents.
Once again thanks for all your help and ALOHA!!! :goofy:

I believe what you were checking is the general requirements. However for change of name, this is what you only need as per the website.

REQUIREMENTS for change of name due to marriage:
  • NSO-certified original copy and one (1) photocopy of marriage certificate, if marriage was solemnized in the Philippines (original will be returned). Applicant may apply for NSO Marriage Certificate on-line at www.e-census.com.ph.
  • Original and one (1) photocopy of marriage certificate (original will be returned) and duly-accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form (please refer to Report of Marriage requirements in the List of Consular Services), if marriage was solemnized abroad

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum to Phil. Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone I just hit a snag :help: while researching how to change the name of my wife's passport to her married name. I am gathering all the documents together and according to the PHILIPPINE CONSULATE HONOLULU website, along with "The Report of Marriage" a certain document is needed when applying for a passport to change name.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-04-17 23.07.03.png

http://www.philippineshonolulu.org/index.php?page=consular-services-honolulu/faq-honolulu/#changename

"Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card"

Can someone explain to me some examples of these proofs that are needed, such as the resident alien card that I bring to the consulate. My wife is here on a K-1 Visa, we just got married on March 15,2014 within the 90 day time limit, SSN name is being changed tomorrow, and AOS forms will be mailed next week to USCIS.
I want to update her passport in the meantime while waiting for the AOS to be reviewed, so we can go on a trip to the Philippines with the AP (I-131) I applied for with the AOS, around October. I just want to make it easier getting through customs and the whole ticket reservations process.
Through my research I understand as long as you have a unexpired passport even with her maiden name, the AP, and marriage certificate you still can travel without worries. But I feel more comfortable if passport matched all her other documents.

The consulate staff (at an outreach event) asked to see my wife's green card, luckily we didn't do the ROM or passport renewal until after my wife had her green card. You may be fine with the EAD/AP card

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I believe what you were checking is the general requirements. However for change of name, this is what you only need as per the website.

REQUIREMENTS for change of name due to marriage:
  • NSO-certified original copy and one (1) photocopy of marriage certificate, if marriage was solemnized in the Philippines (original will be returned). Applicant may apply for NSO Marriage Certificate on-line at www.e-census.com.ph.
  • Original and one (1) photocopy of marriage certificate (original will be returned) and duly-accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form (please refer to Report of Marriage requirements in the List of Consular Services), if marriage was solemnized abroad

Thanks for the reply, the reason I was confused is because if you read the website http://www.philippineshonolulu.org/index.php?page=consular-services-honolulu/faq-honolulu/#changename under the "New Passport due to Change in Name" subheading. It says "GENERAL REQUIREMENTS (to be submitted along with other requirements specific to case):"

I underlined the confusing part.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Am I suppose to do the General Requirements which has ( #3 Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card) along with what you quoted above with "REQUIREMENTS for change of name due to marriage"?

So to make it more simply stated, Do I need to provide all documents under the General Requirements with the documents under "REQUIREMENTS for change of name due to marriage" in order to change my wife's name.

Thanks again for the reply.

The consulate staff (at an outreach event) asked to see my wife's green card, luckily we didn't do the ROM or passport renewal until after my wife had her green card. You may be fine with the EAD/AP card

Hi Hank, I was doing more research into the subject. Does everyone think it's more advantageous to wait for the EAD/AP card before updating her name on her passport. Her maiden name passport is good til 2017. I am just doing the changes for convenience.

Timeline

Thanks for the reply, the reason I was confused is because if you read the website http://www.philippineshonolulu.org/index.php?page=consular-services-honolulu/faq-honolulu/#changename under the "New Passport due to Change in Name" subheading. It says "GENERAL REQUIREMENTS (to be submitted along with other requirements specific to case):"

I underlined the confusing part.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Am I suppose to do the General Requirements which has ( #3 Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card) along with what you quoted above with "REQUIREMENTS for change of name due to marriage"?

So to make it more simply stated, Do I need to provide all documents under the General Requirements with the documents under "REQUIREMENTS for change of name due to marriage" in order to change my wife's name.

Hi Hank, I was doing more research into the subject. Does everyone think it's more advantageous to wait for the EAD/AP card before updating her name on her passport. Her maiden name passport is good til 2017. I am just doing the changes for convenience.

To do a name change on the passport after marriage you need to have completed the Report of Marriage, they will want a copy of the "notated" form you get back after doing the ROM. And yes they will ask for a copy of the green card... they did ask to see my wife's green card when she renewed her passport... all they are checking for here is more $$$ ;) ... if you acquired U.S. citizenship they can now charge you to complete your dual citizenship $$$... then they will issue the new passport.

I personally don't think they will renew the passport in her married name without the green card (or maybe the EAD/AP card)

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

To do a name change on the passport after marriage you need to have completed the Report of Marriage, they will want a copy of the "notated" form you get back after doing the ROM. And yes they will ask for a copy of the green card... they did ask to see my wife's green card when she renewed her passport... all they are checking for here is more $$$ ;) ... if you acquired U.S. citizenship they can now charge you to complete your dual citizenship $$$... then they will issue the new passport.

I personally don't think they will renew the passport in her married name without the green card (or maybe the EAD/AP card)

That makes a lot of sense. I will have to wait for the Green Card anyway to proceed with anything. I went to SSN today to change my wife's name. They said they can't do it now since her visa is expiring in a week and to return back once you get her green card. I thought as long as you got the SSN, changing her name can be done at anytime but my mistake.

So my new plan now is to send the AOS today, report the marriage to the consulate next week, and wait for her green card to come in before changing her SSN and Passport name.

For my vacation I will book the tickets in her maiden passport name once the EAD/AP card comes in. Go on vacation with her maiden passport, carry along the AP and marriage certificate if customs wants to question us.

Is this plan OK? I just want to have a smooth vacation with my wife to visit family.

Timeline

That makes a lot of sense. I will have to wait for the Green Card anyway to proceed with anything. I went to SSN today to change my wife's name. They said they can't do it now since her visa is expiring in a week and to return back once you get her green card. I thought as long as you got the SSN, changing her name can be done at anytime but my mistake.

So my new plan now is to send the AOS today, report the marriage to the consulate next week, and wait for her green card to come in before changing her SSN and Passport name.

For my vacation I will book the tickets in her maiden passport name once the EAD/AP card comes in. Go on vacation with her maiden passport, carry along the AP and marriage certificate if customs wants to question us.

Is this plan OK? I just want to have a smooth vacation with my wife to visit family.

Just make sure to do all the AOS forms in her married name :thumbs:;)

As for your vacation, it sounds like a plan to me.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Just make sure to do all the AOS forms in her married name :thumbs:;)

As for your vacation, it sounds like a plan to me.

Thanks for all your help. I feel like a great weight of uncertainty just lifted off my shoulders. Time to do something fun, like searching for philippine resorts to stay at, since now I don't have to stress about what is next.

AOS paperwork completed, rechecked 10 times today to make sure names and info are right. I also compared each paperwork to the sample ones, and read everyone's advice on each forum having to do with K-1 AOS paperwork :content: .

Now to sit back, wait, and hope everything goes smoothly. :clock:

Thank you everyone for all your advice. Enjoy your weekend and ALOHA !!! :energy:

Hank_, on 18 Apr 2014 - 1:29 PM, said:Hank_, on 18 Apr 2014 - 1:29 PM, said:

Aren't you required to have your passport for your AOS interview. If the passport is being renewed/name change and sent off to Manila then what will she have for identity? I'm asking because we will go to an outreach to have her passport changed but she has no other id for AOS interview, driver license and other entities who require identification while the passport is in Manila for 4-6 weeks.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Aren't you required to have your passport for your AOS interview. If the passport is being renewed/name change and sent off to Manila then what will she have for identity? I'm asking because we will go to an outreach to have her passport changed but she has no other id for AOS interview, driver license and other entities who require identification while the passport is in Manila for 4-6 weeks.

We did AOS before doing the passport renewal. My wife had her green card when we did the ROM and passport renewal - remember the Philippine consulate asked to see my wife's green card for passport renewal, they want proof that she has not changed citizenship.

They do not come right out and state they want to see a green card, they state they want proof of citizenship... so they asked if my wife had a green card or if she had naturalization documents (of course if she had this they would want her to obtain dual citizenship $$$)

1. In addition to the requirements for Renewal of Passport, the following documentary requirements must be submitted by a female applicant wishing to change her maiden surname to her married name: a. For a marriage solemnized in the Philippines - submit the original/certified true copy and a photocopy of marriage certificate. b. For a marriage solemnized outside of the Philippines and celebrated within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Consulate General(i.e. in Southern California, Southern Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas), the following must be submitted: a) original and photocopy of marriage certificate; b) duly accomplished Consulate Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form. (Note: Registration of Marriage requires the following: original copy of the marriage contract/certificate/license, passport photos of both parties, proof of citizenship of both parties, i.e. passports or birth certificates. For more detailed information, see the section on Civil Registration in the Consular Services Category);

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hank_, on 19 Apr 2014 - 2:20 PM, said:

We did AOS before doing the passport renewal. My wife had her green card when we did the ROM and passport renewal - remember the Philippine consulate asked to see my wife's green card for passport renewal, they want proof that she has not changed citizenship.

They do not come right out and state they want to see a green card, they state they want proof of citizenship... so they asked if my wife had a green card or if she had naturalization documents (of course if she had this they would want her to obtain dual citizenship $$$)

1. In addition to the requirements for Renewal of Passport, the following documentary requirements must be submitted by a female applicant wishing to change her maiden surname to her married name: a. For a marriage solemnized in the Philippines - submit the original/certified true copy and a photocopy of marriage certificate. b. For a marriage solemnized outside of the Philippines and celebrated within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Consulate General(i.e. in Southern California, Southern Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas), the following must be submitted: a) original and photocopy of marriage certificate; b) duly accomplished Consulate Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form. (Note: Registration of Marriage requires the following: original copy of the marriage contract/certificate/license, passport photos of both parties, proof of citizenship of both parties, i.e. passports or birth certificates. For more detailed information, see the section on Civil Registration in the Consular Services Category);

Then, I think it is best that we wait till after AOS to do the name change. We received the endorsement back from the PI Embassy in DC for ROM. But, we have not completed the AOS and such so I think we will not attend the outreach to change her passport till all is complete and she has received her GC. Then, change the passport as the passport will not be needed, unless of course there is an emergency whereas she needs to return to PI. Thanks Hank_

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-04-17 23.07.03.png

Timeline

Hi! If you're planning to send your ROM application through mail here's what I did.

4 ROM forms notarized (make sure to write her name in her maiden name)

Passport picture of husband and wife.

1 certified true copy of Marriage license notarized and 4 photocopies.

1 certified true copy of birth certificate notarized and 4 photocopies of the husband and the wife.

1 certified true copy of passport notarized and 4 photocopies of the husband and the wife.

Fee and return envelope

***if more than 90 days of marriage then you need to send Affidavit of Late Registration of Marriage (notarized)

We didn't send any original documents husband is worried original might get lost in the mail. We were lucky our bank notarized our documents for free. I have my GC when I applied for ROM which really doesn't matter if she does or doesnt based on my experience. The application process was just 3 days, we received one ROM form sealed and signed and one photocopy marriage license, passport and our birth cert stapled. Then she can apply passport renewal, which I'm planning to do my passport renewal in the Philippines only takes 2 weeks than here in the US takes 2-4months. Hope this helps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.