BlueRain77

Travelling as "fiancee"

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong section. I was trying to find the best place to put this...maybe the consulate section. I dunno.

So here is my question: When travelling to your fiance/e's country (non-us) and passing through immigration and customs to visit, is it okay to state that I am coming to (insert country...ie UK for me) to visit my Fiance/e before he immigrates to the US (show them proof of filing for fiance visa). Or even, I am coming to attend my fiance's visa interview at the US consulate so that he can immigrate to the US?

Anyone have any experiences with this? So many people have brought up this in regards to before applying for a visa but what if I have proof to show them (USCIS letters) that we have wedding plans in the US and will not sneak off and get married there?

Thanks!

Pete (UK) & Sue (US)

June 19: Filed for K-1 Visa

Feb 8: Received K-1 Visa

April 27: Married!!

May 4: AOS & EAD sent off.

July 28: EAD Card Arrives in Mail!

Aug 23: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!

Aug 30: Welcome to America! letter arrived.

Sept 7: Greencard arrived in the mail!

May: Received Notice about Greencard Expiration end of August

July 15: Sent packet in mail!! (FINALLY!!)

July 16: Packet arrives @ CSC 10:52am Signed by V. Semegi

July 24: Received NOA (posted 7/21)

July 30: Received Bio Appt Letter in Mail

August 20 @ 2pm: Biometrics Appt. –

Sept 12: Approved!! Should be getting card within 60 days..

April 22: Mailing N400 Citizenship packet to Phoenix AZ! (about time!)

April 25 10:37am Phoenix USCIS Lockbox. Signed for by F DOMINGUEZ

April 28 NOA (received in mail May 2)

June 7 Biometrics Appt

July 26 8:10am Interview/Test APPROVED!

Jul 26 Oath Ceremony! Pete is now a US Citizen!

ficFm7.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong section. I was trying to find the best place to put this...maybe the consulate section. I dunno.

So here is my question: When travelling to your fiance/e's country (non-us) and passing through immigration and customs to visit, is it okay to state that I am coming to (insert country...ie UK for me) to visit my Fiance/e before he immigrates to the US (show them proof of filing for fiance visa). Or even, I am coming to attend my fiance's visa interview at the US consulate so that he can immigrate to the US?

Anyone have any experiences with this? So many people have brought up this in regards to before applying for a visa but what if I have proof to show them (USCIS letters) that we have wedding plans in the US and will not sneak off and get married there?

Thanks!

No one ever asked me why I was entering (for me it was Russia) or even cared. I always figured it was best to keep my mouth shut and only answer when questions were asked.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance (US citizen) didn't have any problems visiting me in Canada. They did ask him why he was entering Canada, and he simply told them to visit his fiance.

I agree with the previous poster.... the less information you provide, the better.... don't ever lie, and only answer the questions you are asked, as simply as possible. That's what worked for us, both entering Canada, and whenever I entered the U.S. to visit him.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It has been many years since I have been questioned about the purpose of my trips. When I was, I always indicated either tourist or visiting friends and off I went. I entered Poland just on Sunday, handed the officer my passport and she never said one word to me, stamped it and handed it back (no immigration or customs declaration card either).

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It may not be relevant, however after I got my K-1, my fiance rented a vehicle in Detroit and drove across the border into Canada to pick me (and the cats) up to move to Georgia. The Canadian border guard asked him where he was going and he gave the name of my town. He was next asked why he was going there, and my fiance replied "I am going to pick up my fiancee and then we are moving her to the States where we will be married". The border guard smiled, said "Drive on, brother! Drive on. Far be it from me to stand in the way of another man's misery!" and waved him through. I think you will be fine:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

hahahaha Kathryn, that's funny.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Other Timeline

When I entered through Dublin to attend Wes' interview, I just told them I was there for holiday.

I was carrying an entire wheelie case full of US immigration paperwork had they cared to check me out. I wouldn't have minded them looking at it - it certainly would have been apparent that we weren't planning on living THERE.

Not the same situation but when I went to England last they asked me two questions. First "how long are you staying?" I said "a month"... and "What is your intended purpose? Friends and family or holiday??" I said "Friends and future family" and she didn't ask anymore questions, stamped my passport and I was on my way.

K-1 Timeline

October 5, 2006 - I-129F sent to NSC express mail

October 16, 2006 - NOA1 in mail from CSC

December 19, 2006 - NOA2 notice date

October 1, 2007 - Interview (Approved pending Police Report)

November 22, 2007- Visa in Hand

December 5, 2007 - US Entry

February 25, 2008 - Marriage

AOS & EAD timeline

April 14, 2008 - Sent AOS & EAD

April 25, 2008 - NOA's AOS & EAD (April 21, 2008 notice date)

May 13, 2008 - Biometrics appointment @ 9:00am DONE

May 19, 2008 - AOS Being transfered to CSC

July 2, 2008 - EAD card ordered

July 8, 2008 - EAD card ordered email again?

July 12, 2008 - EAD in hand

November 17, 2008 - RFE

January 2, 2009 - 2nd Medical exam

January 13, 2009 - Mailed RFE to CSC overnight

January 14, 2009 - RFE signed for

January 26, 2009 - Welcome letter sent

January 30, 2009 - Approved email!!

Feb 3, 2009 - Greencard in hand.

ROC Timeline

January 14, 2011 - Mailed ROC overnight to CSC

January 18, 2011 - Signed for by V. Semegi

January 20, 2011 - Check Cashed

January 24, 2011 - Received NOA1 (Dated 1/18/11)

February 28, 2011 - Biometrics @ 8am

April 19, 2011 - RFE

May 24, 2011 - Mailed back RFE

May 25, 2011 - RFE Signed for by V. Semegi

June 1, 2011 - Approved card received (Dated 5/30/11)

Filed: Timeline

Guys, what about visiting the US?

I visited my fiance in the US (he was just my boyfriend then), and when I had an interview for the tourist visa I said I was going to visit my church friend (which is true), and at the POE I said the same, never mentioned that he was my boyfriend. Should I be worried about that now applying for K1 and showing all these visits?

Shouldn't be an issue, Carrot, if you were coming through Canada. They don't record your responses if you were entering through Canada and compare them to your I-129F. I know at least one time C. said 'friend' instead of 'girlfriend'. Hasn't been an issue.

Not sure about a tourist visa, though.

Edited by Caladan

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.