MichaelD1980

Can my foreign wife get a U.S. visa with me having no job & no joint sponsor if I have $82,000. in bank account

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Lots of speculative wrong answers here but this one is the correct on. If it's only a two-person household and you are "employable" you'll probably be OK, but it's still a judgement call by the Consular Officer. They are trained to consider the totality of the circumstances, so factors you haven't mentioned, like how long you haven't worked, whether you CAN and will work, the employ-ability and plans of your foreign spouse etc. will all be considered.

This is true. They will look at the totality of the case, but the minimum of $60k is what they would need in assets for a household of 2. They have $82k. Whether or not the CO thinks that is enough for the foreign spouse not become a public charge is unknown. The safest route would be to have a solid joint sponsor, especially if Manila is in fact reluctant to approve based on assets alone.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

PUSHBRK gave me the same advice about using assets as he has given here, and I'm glad I listened to him.

My fiancé went through a tough consulate in Casablanca, Morocco. I didn't work and used all cash assets and he was approved that day. No co sponsors were needed and I had to prove for a family of three not two.

Edited by foreverwaiting

You need a joint sponsor. Cash is counted as an asset, but at a pretty low rate. And I doubt it they will count the asset only, without regular income. You'll run out of cash in 2-3 years and then what? You sponsor your spouse for 5 years minimum (if she gets her citizenship in 5 years).

Spouse of USC can apply for citizenship after 3 years of permanent residence married to the same petitioner.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You'll get at RFE for sure. Best to get a joint sponsor who has a stable gig and a good salary.

I don't meet the income required for the Affidavit of support to bring my Filipina wife to the U.S., I have no job and my wife has no joint sponsor but could my wife still get a U.S. visa with me having $82,000. in my bank account? I was going to buy house but maybe I could use my savings to get her here. Thanks for any help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

We didn't go the CR-1 route, but through AOS my husband received his green card based only on my assets (I was between jobs). The interview was kind of rough, but we were still approved that day. We didn't have a joint sponsor.

Check the consulate website for any additional qualifications needed, but if 82,000 is above the current poverty guidlines (I didn't check, but other people here are saying it is) then I would go ahead and apply.

Day 0 - 2 May 2012 Mailed AOS package overnight delivery
Day 139 - 17 September 2012 Interview & APPROVED on the Spot!! :)
Day 145 - 23 September 2012 Received Green Card!

ROC - Eligible June 19 2014

Day 0 - 18 June 2014 Mailed ROC package via 2 day priority

Day 42 - 29 July 2014 Approval and Card Production Email

Day 49 - 5 August 2014 Received Green Card

As I see it, the OP is applying for the IR-1/CR-1 visa so the AOS will be adjudicated here in the US and not in Manila where they are notorious for not accepting joint sponsors for the K-1 visa. The rules are that the sponsor must meet 125% of the poverty guidelines and can do that with income or with income and/or assets to make up the shortfall. All assets requires the sponsor to have $60K in assets that are readily convertible into cash within a year and does not place an undue hardship if the asset is sold. Plus the asset has to be properly appraised and documented. What better asset than cash? Having cash in the bank meets all the requirements for its use as an asset. For sponsoring a spouse only the requirement is 3X the poverty level or about $60K. The OP has $82K in the bank. Therefore he meets the USCIS requirements. IMHO, he is in a better position than some one who has a job and making $20,000 per year especially if the OP can show that the cash has been in his account for a couple of years.

I would try using the cash and see what happens. You can put feelers out to see if anybody might be willing to step-up and help you out if need be, but based on the I-864 form you qualify with just the cash.

Good luck,

Dave

As I see it, the OP is applying for the IR-1/CR-1 visa so the AOS will be adjudicated here in the US and not in Manila where they are notorious for not accepting joint sponsors for the K-1 visa. The rules are that the sponsor must meet 125% of the poverty guidelines and can do that with income or with income and/or assets to make up the shortfall. All assets requires the sponsor to have $60K in assets that are readily convertible into cash within a year and does not place an undue hardship if the asset is sold. Plus the asset has to be properly appraised and documented. What better asset than cash? Having cash in the bank meets all the requirements for its use as an asset. For sponsoring a spouse only the requirement is 3X the poverty level or about $60K. The OP has $82K in the bank. Therefore he meets the USCIS requirements. IMHO, he is in a better position than some one who has a job and making $20,000 per year especially if the OP can show that the cash has been in his account for a couple of years.

I would try using the cash and see what happens. You can put feelers out to see if anybody might be willing to step-up and help you out if need be, but based on the I-864 form you qualify with just the cash.

Good luck,

Dave

I-130 is adjudicated in US but the the IR-1/CR-1 visa still has to go through the US consulate in Manila, where the CO will determine if the Affidavit of Support is adequate or not.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I-130 is adjudicated in US but the the IR-1/CR-1 visa still has to go through the US consulate in Manila, where the CO will determine if the Affidavit of Support is adequate or not.

Correct. A Consular officer in Manila will make the decision as to whether the I-864 is adequate. However, it is quite possible, depending on the circumstances to qualify based on assets alone. It's a judgement call. Anybody who is SURE it will result in an "RFE" are blowing speculative smoke.

Let me explain with an example. Let's say you came to the USA.... AND obtained US Citizenship all after you retired in, say Germany. You have no job, no Social Security and no pension but you have (let's say) half a million in liquid investments, and you live on the interest and some of the principal each year. Will a Consular officer require a joint sponsor, when you want to bring your Filipina wife to the USA? Of course not.

So, where do they draw the line? For certain, if you have less than three times the income requirement, you're definitely going to need a joint sponsor, but ANYTHING between the minimum and infinity is a judgment call. The OP is 30% over the minimum. Depending on the rest of the circumstances, there's a good chance of success, IMO.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Then why do so many people recommend that if the K-1 visa is denied in the PI they apply for a spousal visa especially if the USC is very close to the poverty guidelines and needs a co-sponsor? It has been suggested that the PI is reluctant to accept a co-sponsor for the K-1. Do they just accept a co-sponsor for the spousal visa or is it because the NVC has blessed the application and they feel they can point the finger to NVC and just approve the spousal visa? Just trying to understand the situation of the OP's Embassy in Manila.

Dave

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Then why do so many people recommend that if the K-1 visa is denied in the PI they apply for a spousal visa especially if the USC is very close to the poverty guidelines and needs a co-sponsor? It has been suggested that the PI is reluctant to accept a co-sponsor for the K-1. Do they just accept a co-sponsor for the spousal visa or is it because the NVC has blessed the application and they feel they can point the finger to NVC and just approve the spousal visa? Just trying to understand the situation of the OP's Embassy in Manila.

Dave

All Consulates are REQUIRED to accept a "joint sponsor" for an immigrant visa case. No consulate is required to accept any sponsor in addition to or instead of the petitioner in a K1/fiancee/non-immigrant visa case. NVC blesses nothing in this regard. It's simply the law.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

All Consulates are REQUIRED to accept a "joint sponsor" for an immigrant visa case. No consulate is required to accept any sponsor in addition to or instead of the petitioner in a K1/fiancee/non-immigrant visa case. NVC blesses nothing in this regard. It's simply the law.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Dave

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.