Kat&Abhi

Visa Application Center (VAC) and Interview for mumbai

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So I have a couple questions I hope someone can help with. We are in Bangalore so we have to go to Mumbai for our CR1 interview. It says prior to interview you have to go to the VAC for photograph and fingerprinting. How far in advance does the VAC work have to be completed before the interview? Basically since we have to travel from Bangalore, can we go to VAC the day before interview or does it have to be completed earlier than that? Or can we do the VAC when we do our medical? We will have to travel for medical as well and I just want to combine travel if/when possible.

1. can we do VAC fingerprinting and photograph the same day as medical? (yes or no)
  2. if no for #1 can we do VAC fingerprinting and photograph the day prior to interview?
  3. if no for #1 and no for #2 so do we have to travel to mumbai then 3 times (medical, VAC, interview) or can something else be done?

thanks for your insights!

Timeline

Waiting for the answers. I have the same kinda doubt :clock:

I-130 USCIS

NOA1: 08/15/2013

NOA1 Hardcopy: 08/22/2013

Case transferred to CSC: 02/10/2014

Case transfer Hardcopy: 02/19/2014

NOA2: 03/05/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy: 03/10/2014

NVC:

Case arrived at NVC: 03/13/2014

Case number,IIN,BIN assigned and email id given: 04/14/2014

DS261 Available and Completed: 04/18/2014

DS261 accepted and received instruction: 04/21/2014

AOS fee paid and Payment status is "IN PROCESS": 04/21/2014

AOS Payment status shows PAID: 04/24/2014

AOS mailed to NVC: 04/24/2014

IV fee paid and payment status shows " IN PROCESS" : 04/25/2014

IV fee payment status shows PAID: 04/29/2014

Approved IV packet and DS260: 05/20/2014

Interview Date(Got from NVC by call on 05/30/2014): 07/15/2014

Received Interview Letter from NVC by email: 06/02/2014.

Biometrics done at VAC,Chennai: 06/16/2014

Medicals done at Apollo,Chennai: 06/17/2014

VISA APPROVED at Mumbai embassy: 07/15/2014

VISA Pick up at Chennai VFC: 07/18/2014

Port Of Entry: 9/4/2014

SSN Arrived: 10/6/2014

Green Card Arrived: 10/22/2014

Case Complete: 05/27/2014

Removal of Conditional - Joint Waiver/Divorced

Green Card Expired: 9/04/2016

NOA Date: 7/13/2016

Biometric Date: 8/2/2016

I-551 Samping: 7/7/2017 at Dallas Field Office

I-751 Approved: 10/07/2017 (USCIS status: New card is being produced)

New Green Card Received:  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So I have a couple questions I hope someone can help with. We are in Bangalore so we have to go to Mumbai for our CR1 interview. It says prior to interview you have to go to the VAC for photograph and fingerprinting. How far in advance does the VAC work have to be completed before the interview? Basically since we have to travel from Bangalore, can we go to VAC the day before interview or does it have to be completed earlier than that? Or can we do the VAC when we do our medical? We will have to travel for medical as well and I just want to combine travel if/when possible.

1. can we do VAC fingerprinting and photograph the same day as medical? (yes or no)
  2. if no for #1 can we do VAC fingerprinting and photograph the day prior to interview?
  3. if no for #1 and no for #2 so do we have to travel to mumbai then 3 times (medical, VAC, interview) or can something else be done?

thanks for your insights!

VAC and Medical can be done only after you get the Interview letter. So from the day you get your interview letter you can schedule VAC anytime and my wife got it in Chennai and was a breeze. You generally have about 20-30 days for your actual Visa interview from the time you receive the letter though it might be quicker for IR/CR. In the sense, lets say you get your interview letter today and then in 15 days you could have the interview if NVC finds a slot for you for your interview at Mumbai. So for medical generally 2 weeks before the interview is what i have heard people do and thats what we did.

Response to your Questions:-

1. It is slightly risky in my view to do it on the same day as medical. I don't know about Mumbai and others can chip in about that but at Chennai it took about 3-4 hrs for my wife. They asked her to come at 10:30AM in the morning at Apollo, Chennai(Weekdays). They don't give appointments and more of a walk in so expect a line. If mumbai does the same and lets say your VAC appointment is in the afternoon and you get delayed at the Medical, you would end up missing your VAC. I don;t know where the VAC and Medical are located in Mumbai but in Chennai VAC and Medical are pretty close to each other (I can confirm with my wife one more time about both locations in Chennai).

2. Yes you can. Read this. http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-gen-faq.asp#qlistvisacenter

Quoting from US travel docs "Q.2 May I schedule my Visa Application Center appointment on the same day as my visa interview appointment?

You must schedule your Visa Application Centre appointment at least one day before the visa interview appointment date at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For L1 Blanket visa applicant may schedule Visa Application Centre and Consulate appointment on the same day".

3. If i were you i would get my Medical and VAC done at Chennai if possible since its closer than Mumbai and slightly less expensive with respect to Stay and traffic. :-)

Edited by vkrishn

Timeline

VAC and Medical can be done only after you get the Interview letter. So from the day you get your interview letter you can schedule VAC anytime and my wife got it in Chennai and was a breeze. You generally have about 20-30 days for your actual Visa interview from the time you receive the letter though it might be quicker for IR/CR. In the sense, lets say you get your interview letter today and then in 15 days you could have the interview if NVC finds a slot for you for your interview at Mumbai. So for medical generally 2 weeks before the interview is what i have heard people do and thats what we did.

Response to your Questions:-

1. It is slightly risky in my view to do it on the same day as medical. I don't know about Mumbai and others can chip in about that but at Chennai it took about 3-4 hrs for my wife. They asked her to come at 10:30AM in the morning at Apollo, Chennai(Weekdays). They don't give appointments and more of a walk in so expect a line. If mumbai does the same and lets say your VAC appointment is in the afternoon and you get delayed at the Medical, you would end up missing your VAC. I don;t know where the VAC and Medical are located in Mumbai but in Chennai VAC and Medical are pretty close to each other (I can confirm with my wife one more time about both locations in Chennai).

2. Yes you can. Read this. http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-gen-faq.asp#qlistvisacenter

Quoting from US travel docs "Q.2 May I schedule my Visa Application Center appointment on the same day as my visa interview appointment?

You must schedule your Visa Application Centre appointment at least one day before the visa interview appointment date at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For L1 Blanket visa applicant may schedule Visa Application Centre and Consulate appointment on the same day".

3. If i were you i would get my Medical and VAC done at Chennai if possible since its closer than Mumbai and slightly less expensive with respect to Stay and traffic. :-)

Thanks vkrishn!

We were only thinking mumbai as we have a wedding to attend in May so we were thinking of going a few days early and doing the VAC and medical prior to attending the marriage. But if we don't have the interview letter by then, it looks like going to Chennai is what we will have to do then and we just didn't want to make multiple trips to Chennai.

It sounds like we could do VAC on day 1 then medical day 2 and pick up reports from medical day 3 then return to Bangalore? Or I guess it might make more sense to do medical day 1, VAC day 2 and pick up medical reports day 2 then return to Bangalore?

Just trying to plan ahead so we know how much time off we need to request from office plus the time for travel. Its so frustrating that none of this can be done from Bangalore! At least they should have a VAC office and medical clinic so we don't have to travel so much. I understand traveling to mumbai for interview, but all this interview prep we should be able to do from Bangalore!

Timeline

Thanks vkrishn!

We were only thinking mumbai as we have a wedding to attend in May so we were thinking of going a few days early and doing the VAC and medical prior to attending the marriage. But if we don't have the interview letter by then, it looks like going to Chennai is what we will have to do then and we just didn't want to make multiple trips to Chennai.

It sounds like we could do VAC on day 1 then medical day 2 and pick up reports from medical day 3 then return to Bangalore? Or I guess it might make more sense to do medical day 1, VAC day 2 and pick up medical reports day 2 then return to Bangalore?

Just trying to plan ahead so we know how much time off we need to request from office plus the time for travel. Its so frustrating that none of this can be done from Bangalore! At least they should have a VAC office and medical clinic so we don't have to travel so much. I understand traveling to mumbai for interview, but all this interview prep we should be able to do from Bangalore!

Medical Day 1, VAC Day 2 seems a better plan. Also, do not forget to get the vaccinations (at least as many of them as possible) done before going for medical. Otherwise, they will give you all the shots all on the same day during medical and it will also cost lot more.

Here are some vaccination clinics in Bangalore - http://www.justdial.com/Bangalore/vaccination-centre

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : National Benefits Center; Consulate : Mumbai, India; Marriage (if applicable): 2013-07-05
USCIS
I-130 Sent : 2013-07-20; I-130 NOA1 : 2013-07-26; I-130 Transferred to CSC: 2014-01-13; I-130 Approved: 2014-01-22
NVC
NVC Received: 2014-02-03; AOS Bill Shows PAID: 2014-03-19
NVC Case # and IIN Assigned: 2014-03-11; AOS Package Delivered: 2014-03-21;
Submitted/Completed DS-261 online: 2014-03-12; AOS Package Touched: 2014-03-25;
Receive & Pay AOS Bill : 2014-03-13; AOS Package Approved: 2014-04-08
AOS Package Mailed (USPS Priority): 2014-03-18;
IV Bill:
Receive & Pay IV Bill: 2014-03-24; False Checklist for Civil Documents: 2014-04-07
IV Bill Shows PAID: 2014-03-26; Case Completed at NVC: 2014-04-16;
IV Package Mailed (USPS Priority): 2014-03-26; Case Complete Email Received: 2014-04-23
IV Package Received by NVC: 2014-03-31; Interview scheduled: 2014-05-01;
IV Package Touched: 2014-04-03 (still in review); IL Email Received: 2014-05-01
DS-260 Available/Completed/Submitted: 2014-03-27
Consulate: Mumbai
Fingerprinting & Photo: 2014-05-09 Medicals: 2014-05-19
Interview: 2014-06-04 Visa Approved CEAC Website Status "Issued": 2014-06-05
USCIS ELIS Fee Paid: 2014-06-08 Passport w/Visa Received: 2014-06-09
POE (LAX): 2014-07-20 SS# Received: 2014-07-28
Actual GC received 2014-08-30
CA ID Received: 2014-09-02.
First job in USA (yeeeh!!!) starting: 2014-09-22
Taking driving lessons....!!!!

ROC
Application Sent: 2016-04-26
NOA1:2016-04-28
Biometrics: 2016-06-02 (early walk-in on May 31st)

ROC Approval Email and Online Status Change - 2016-11-07
Google Doc for April 2016 filers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Mb-ALcbwQbYafLj4vFaEMjSGD-wfjtrycs3ul8QlUo/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Timeline

Thanks vkrishn!

Agree on not having a VAC or a center for Medical at B'lore when they have one at Hyd!

Let me confirm with my wife when she got the Medical report after her medical in Chennai. I think it took a couple of days and not the next day but let me make sure. I am not sure about Mumbai though on how fast can you get the medical report after your medical. Unless you are going to stay in Mumbai for a week or two weeks before the interview, it might be hard to squeeze in VAC and medical + report closer to your interview date.

Timeline

Medical Day 1, VAC Day 2 seems a better plan. Also, do not forget to get the vaccinations (at least as many of them as possible) done before going for medical. Otherwise, they will give you all the shots all on the same day during medical and it will also cost lot more.

Here are some vaccination clinics in Bangalore - http://www.justdial.com/Bangalore/vaccination-centre

So it is possible for him to get his vaccinations done now in Bangalore? we called the chennai and mumbai clinics and they both said he had to get them done as part of his medical and he can not get them done in Bangalore.....

Hubby has no vaccine records so I am assuming they will make him get all the vaccines done, so we were hoping to do it in Bangalore but then when we called the clinics they said it had to be done as part of his medical? How do we know if he can go now in Bangalore and start the vaccine process prior to the medical check for the visa?

Timeline

So it is possible for him to get his vaccinations done now in Bangalore? we called the chennai and mumbai clinics and they both said he had to get them done as part of his medical and he can not get them done in Bangalore.....

Hubby has no vaccine records so I am assuming they will make him get all the vaccines done, so we were hoping to do it in Bangalore but then when we called the clinics they said it had to be done as part of his medical? How do we know if he can go now in Bangalore and start the vaccine process prior to the medical check for the visa?

It may take more than one or two days to get the Medical Report from the Chennai clinic. If possible call them ahead and find out.

Also, you definitely can start getting the vaccinations from a local doctor ahead of time. Just make sure to carry the paperwork to the Medical Clinic. Here is what the US Embassy Delhi website states (US Consulate - Mumbai states the same thing).

The Embassy has authorized the physicians listed below of this notice to give medical examinations to visa applicants. We accept medical clearances from any of our panel physicians in India. Please make your own arrangements for an examination by any physician on the list at least seven days before your immigrant visa appointment.

For each family, bring

• A passport
  • Three recent photographs
  • All medical records of vaccinations, prior illness or treatments. You must discuss your medical history and current conditions - pregnancy, diabetes, hypertension and other conditions and medications taken - with the physician.

The DOS website states the following:

In order to assist the panel physican (yes that's a spelling error on the website), and to avoid delays in the processing of an immigrant visa, all immigrant visa applicants should have their vaccination records available for the panel physician's review at the time of the immigrant medical examination. Visa applicants should consult with their regular health care provider to obtain a copy of their immunization record, if one is available. If you do not have a vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations you may need to meet the requirement. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

In other words he can go his regular doctor (or someone else) and take care of all the vaccinations required for adults and carry that record with him to the Medical Clinic.

Edited by bkghosh

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : National Benefits Center; Consulate : Mumbai, India; Marriage (if applicable): 2013-07-05
USCIS
I-130 Sent : 2013-07-20; I-130 NOA1 : 2013-07-26; I-130 Transferred to CSC: 2014-01-13; I-130 Approved: 2014-01-22
NVC
IV Bill:
Receive & Pay IV Bill: 2014-03-24; False Checklist for Civil Documents: 2014-04-07
IV Package Mailed (USPS Priority): 2014-03-26; Case Complete Email Received: 2014-04-23

ROC

Google Doc for April 2016 filers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Mb-ALcbwQbYafLj4vFaEMjSGD-wfjtrycs3ul8QlUo/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Timeline

You don't need any copy of vaccine records or anything for the medical at chennai. My wife did not have anything with her and don't even remember what she took years back. When you go for the medical they give you the necessary vaccines needed for your age and so forth and what is needed as per DOS guidelines. So its ok if you don't have any vaccine records.

Just spoke to my wife and she told me that it costed around Rs 3000 for the medical including the vaccinations that were given during the medical. She went to the MEdical on 17th of Jan and got her report on the 18th of jan at 5pm. So i would give two days as the time to get the report after the medical at chennai.

Also, the VAC location and Medical location at Chennai are about 3-4kms apart and would take around 20mins by car.

Edited by vkrishn

Timeline

I am also from chennai. Thank to vkrish for ur inputs. Very helpful :)

I-130 USCIS

NOA1: 08/15/2013

NOA1 Hardcopy: 08/22/2013

Case transferred to CSC: 02/10/2014

Case transfer Hardcopy: 02/19/2014

NOA2: 03/05/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy: 03/10/2014

NVC:

Case arrived at NVC: 03/13/2014

Case number,IIN,BIN assigned and email id given: 04/14/2014

DS261 Available and Completed: 04/18/2014

DS261 accepted and received instruction: 04/21/2014

AOS fee paid and Payment status is "IN PROCESS": 04/21/2014

AOS Payment status shows PAID: 04/24/2014

AOS mailed to NVC: 04/24/2014

IV fee paid and payment status shows " IN PROCESS" : 04/25/2014

IV fee payment status shows PAID: 04/29/2014

Approved IV packet and DS260: 05/20/2014

Interview Date(Got from NVC by call on 05/30/2014): 07/15/2014

Received Interview Letter from NVC by email: 06/02/2014.

Biometrics done at VAC,Chennai: 06/16/2014

Medicals done at Apollo,Chennai: 06/17/2014

VISA APPROVED at Mumbai embassy: 07/15/2014

VISA Pick up at Chennai VFC: 07/18/2014

Port Of Entry: 9/4/2014

SSN Arrived: 10/6/2014

Green Card Arrived: 10/22/2014

Case Complete: 05/27/2014

Removal of Conditional - Joint Waiver/Divorced

Green Card Expired: 9/04/2016

NOA Date: 7/13/2016

Biometric Date: 8/2/2016

I-551 Samping: 7/7/2017 at Dallas Field Office

I-751 Approved: 10/07/2017 (USCIS status: New card is being produced)

New Green Card Received:  

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Vj Members,

My wife got her medical and her biometrics done two weeks ago. Her interview is scheduled for this 23rd. She had registered on US Travel Docs India for the biometrics appointment, and pickup location of passport. I went in to check to make sure everything was ok in US travel Docs website, but it doesn't show an appointment time, or pickup location or anything. I am thinking this is cleared since she got her fingerprints done, but atleast it should show passport pickup location right?

Everything is now blank on the home page. I just want to make sure that they have the right pickup location registered. I tried to go back in and reinput the information, but it asks to set up an appointment at OFC again, so i cancelled that.

She does have a printout of the fingerprint appointment letter that has the pickup location on there.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

You don't need any copy of vaccine records or anything for the medical at chennai. My wife did not have anything with her and don't even remember what she took years back. When you go for the medical they give you the necessary vaccines needed for your age and so forth and what is needed as per DOS guidelines. So its ok if you don't have any vaccine records.

Just spoke to my wife and she told me that it costed around Rs 3000 for the medical including the vaccinations that were given during the medical. She went to the MEdical on 17th of Jan and got her report on the 18th of jan at 5pm. So i would give two days as the time to get the report after the medical at chennai.

Also, the VAC location and Medical location at Chennai are about 3-4kms apart and would take around 20mins by car.

Thanks vkrishn. My spouse is also from Bangalore and we had similar questions.

USCIS

5/11/2013: NOA 1-130

2/21/2014: I-130 Approved

NVC Stage

3/17/2014: NVC received case

4/16/2014: NVC case number assigned

4/23/2014: DS-261 Submitted Online

4/24/2014: AOS bill generated and paid

4/29/2014: AOS bill shows PAID

4/30/2014: IV bill generated and paid

5/2/2014: NVC receives AOS Package

5/5/2014: IV bill shows PAID

5/7/2014: NVC receives IV Package

5/8/2014: DS-260 Completed and submitted

5/30/2014: Case Complete !!

6/5/2014: CC Email Received

6/11/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

7/17/2014: Interview Date at Mumbai

Timeline

Thanks vkrishn. My spouse is also from Bangalore and we had similar questions.

Sure. I believe they start the medical around 10AM and thats what my wife told me so. They don't take appointments and its more of a walk in. I am not sure if the time has changed from 10AM now but might be good to double check with them and you could be lucky if they pick up the phone to answer that. :-)

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Can we get vaccinations from any clinic ?

Timeline

Can we get vaccinations from any clinic ?

Yes. Vaccinations can be taken from your family physician or any vaccination clinic (and there are a whole bunch at Bangalore, Hyderabad, or other cities). The advantage of taking the vaccinations early is that you don't have take all of them on the same day during Medical.

Although, as Vkrshn is saying, getting them during Medical is neither too expensive ( I have heard # from Rs. 3000/- to Rs. 5000/-) nor a big problem. So I guess it is your choice.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
USCIS
NVC
IV Bill:

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.