Hotter Otter

POE Dublin?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I know you can go through US Immigration at Dublin, but has anyone had their actual K1 or CR1 POE at Dublin recently? There's a few POE Dublin reviews on this site but mostly dating back 5 or more years. The reason that I am considering this is because immigration at Boston Logan is usually understaffed (2 hour queue on last visit!) and I dread to think how long it'll take them to go through my paperwork and do the visa processing.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

That's where I'll be going from. I know Dublin airport well and I think it will a lot easier there than somewhere in the states, as it won't be as busy. I'll be flying to Seattle via Chicago. Check out Dublin airport POE on YouTube.

Married 2013/05/24

.i130 sent. 2013/05/25.

NOAI rec'd. 2013/06/12.

Transferred to TSC. 2013/12/27.

NOA2 rec'd. 2014/01/27

NVC Rec'd 2014/02/11

IIN &case no. rec'd 2014/03/19

DS261submitted 2014/03/21

AOS invoice ready 2014/03/24

Ds260submitted. 2014/04/09

I130 in transit to embassy as per CEAC 2014/04/09

I130 rec'd in embassy 2014/04/11

Email with interview date 2014/04/11

letter with interview date and instructions 2014/04/15

Interview scheduled for 2014/04/29

VISA APPROVED!!! 2014/04/29.

Visa issued. 2014/05/02

Flight to Seattle. 2014/05/14!!!!

I129 sent. 2013/06/17NOA 1 rec'd. 2013/06/29NOA 2 rec'd. 2014/02/10NVC rec'd. 2014/02/11Rec'd by embassy. 2014/02/27Email from embassy with case no. and telling me how to proceed 2014/03/01Ds160 submitted online 2014/03/01medical scheduled for 2014/03/28Medical report received by embassy 2014/04/02Ceac status updated to ' READY' 2014/04/03 ( waiting for interview to be scheduled)Ceac status updated again!! 2014/04/08I129 will be closed and i130 being processed, 2014/04/09

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

See my post here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/476582-dublin-airport-on-k1-visa/

If you look at that post, in the top link that I've posted the most recent review is from 2013.

POE in Dublin has the potential to be quicker and easier than in the US. If you've been through pre-clearance there before then you'll know that you can go through at your own pace and in your own time before going to your gate. This means that there aren't 2/3 plane loads of people trying to get through all at once, which is the situation you have when 2/3 international flights land in the US. You can just go through at your leisure (before the gate closing time, obviously!). I've only ever had to queue there once which was for maybe 10mins. Nothing compared to the 3 hour wait I once had upon landing in Boston! I agree with you, POE there would NOT be fun!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

That's where I'll be going from. I know Dublin airport well and I think it will a lot easier there than somewhere in the states, as it won't be as busy. I'll be flying to Seattle via Chicago. Check out Dublin airport POE on YouTube.

Thanks, I hadn't thought to check youtube for info! :)

See my post here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/476582-dublin-airport-on-k1-visa/

If you look at that post, in the top link that I've posted the most recent review is from 2013.

POE in Dublin has the potential to be quicker and easier than in the US. If you've been through pre-clearance there before then you'll know that you can go through at your own pace and in your own time before going to your gate. This means that there aren't 2/3 plane loads of people trying to get through all at once, which is the situation you have when 2/3 international flights land in the US. You can just go through at your leisure (before the gate closing time, obviously!). I've only ever had to queue there once which was for maybe 10mins. Nothing compared to the 3 hour wait I once had upon landing in Boston! I agree with you, POE there would NOT be fun!

Thanks for that, I was going to PM you to ask how it was as I remembered you saying previously you went to Boston via Dublin but then I saw in your timeline that you hadn't done the K1 POE yet. I'm just finishing up at NVC so it'll hopefully be June/July for me too.

When I flew into Logan 18 days ago my flight was late and at 9pm as we queued all the CBP officers bar one for the non citizen queue had finished their shifts, and there were about 200 people still waiting. So yeah Dublin it is for POE!!

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

It can still be busy though. It isn't pre clearance any longer. It's full on customs and immigration for everyone boarding. And there can be more than one plane going out.

I still though wouldn't hesitate to do it. The officers there are really nice.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought that was what pre-clearance meant? That you pre-clear customs and immigration prior to physically landing in the USA? All I know is...it's an excellent idea ;) either way, since I started using Dublin to get out to Boston I have always gone through both customs and immigration as well as a US-standard security screening (in addition to the one I go through in Cardiff and then in the transfer facility in Dublin...slip on shoes quickly became a must!)

You're right in saying that it can be busy though, I think I've always been lucky with the time of my flight. OP, might be worth checking the Dublin airport website to see how many other US-bound flights are departing at around the same time, if there's quite a few then you might have a bit of a wait. My bet is though that it will probably still be quicker than POE in the US.

My plan for POE is to just head straight to the gate through this facility. I'll probably end up at the gate with 2 hours to kill, but I'd rather that than having to sit anxiously in a waiting room waiting to be seen to about my k1 package with 30mins to go until the flight departs :P

I think the term pre-clearance was used before they built the new terminal. When we use to come out of Dublin that was what they called it anyway. Back then they would do all the immigration stuff on Irish soil but you still had to do customs when you got to the USA. Which was a real hassle if you had a connecting flight stateside. Now with everything done in Dublin you can just change terminal.

I think the new facility opened about three years ago? So if you've traveled out of Dublin since that time then you have always done things the "new" way. :P Which is far better than the old!

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.