Welsh girl

Please help - Our lawyer says NVC have made an error and NOT her?

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This morning I received an email from NVC.

I was extremely excited seeing as we started our visa journey just over 10 months ago and I had been advised from our lawyer that everything had been submitted and our next step would be to receive our interview date in London.

You can imagine my disappointment when i continued to read the email from NVC which states that our case is now on HOLD due to missing/incomplete information??

I immediately contacted our Lawyer to express my concern regarding this email and her response is that everything she has submitted is correct and that this is a mistake on behalf of NVC who are apparently sending 'template' response emails to visa applicants. She said several of her other clients have also received this notice and she will contact NVC asap to 'let them know they are in error'

Obviously both myself and my husband have concerns over this and although i am constantly trying to contact the NVC myself to confirm if this is the case Im having a nightmare seeing as the lines are always engaged.

Has anyone else heard about this so called 'mistake' or received this email ??

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks everyone :) xxx

Hi everyone,

I was extremely excited seeing as we started our visa journey just over 10 months ago and I had been advised from our lawyer that everything had been submitted and our next step would be to receive our interview date in London.

You can imagine my disappointment when i continued to read the email from NVC which states that our case is now on HOLD due to missing/incomplete information??

I immediately contacted our Lawyer to express my concern regarding this email and her response is that everything she has submitted is correct and that this is a mistake on behalf of NVC who are apparently sending 'template' response emails to visa applicants. She said several of her other clients have also received this notice and she will contact NVC asap to 'let them know they are in error'

Obviously both myself and my husband have concerns over this and although i am constantly trying to contact the NVC myself to confirm if this is the case Im having a nightmare seeing as the lines are always engaged.

I can tell you that using a lawyer only slows things down. A lawyer is more likely to take their time, make mistakes, etc. There is nothing complicated about a spousal visa that calls for a lawyer.

I am in fact a J.D. You're wasting your money/slowing things down. Sorry.

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Go here to the NVC process wiki and read FAQ there's a section on false checklist. I am sure thats what it is. So before fingers get pointed and the poor lawyer gets the boot read it. many get it no big deal.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

I can tell you that using a lawyer only slows things down. A lawyer is more likely to take their time, make mistakes, etc. There is nothing complicated about a spousal visa that calls for a lawyer.

I am in fact a J.D. You're wasting your money/slowing things down. Sorry.

Thank you for your reply. I am well aware of how members feel on this forum in regards to hiring a lawyer for this process however that is the option we decided due to our hectic work schedules and eight hour time difference. I didn't post the above to receive criticism about hiring a lawyer but just to see if anyone else has received this email from NVC and believe it is a mistake? Thanks.

P.S - I'm currently on hold with NVC (its been 21mins so far ...)

Did it specify the missing information? What did the email say, if you don't mind sharing it, omitting personal info?

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

thanks for the wiki link, having read that now I'm even more concerned.

The email stated the following instructions for me -

correspondence instructions

financial evidence

great Britain police certificate

And then for my husband it is just a check list for the Affidavit of support.

Our lawyer is adamant that the Affidavit of support is completed and perfectly correct and this is a mistake on the NVC behalf. However I asked her previously when she would need my police certificate and she told me to hold off on it as she wouldn't need it anytime soon.

I'm not sure now if this is a general false checklist seeing as it says it requires my police certificate. Sounds like she made a mistake in thinking she would need it at a later date??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

thanks for the wiki link, having read that now I'm even more concerned.

The email stated the following instructions for me -

correspondence instructions

financial evidence

great Britain police certificate

And then for my husband it is just a check list for the Affidavit of support.

Our lawyer is adamant that the Affidavit of support is completed and perfectly correct and this is a mistake on the NVC behalf. However I asked her previously when she would need my police certificate and she told me to hold off on it as she wouldn't need it anytime soon.

I'm not sure now if this is a general false checklist seeing as it says it requires my police certificate. Sounds like she made a mistake in thinking she would need it at a later date??

Yes the police report is a requirement with the IV package. Not a false checklist I am afraid. But doable since you say you have it have her send in with the checklist cover sheet and it may take 20 to 30 days to review. Sorry

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Yes the police report is a requirement with the IV package. Not a false checklist I am afraid. But doable since you say you have it have her send in with the checklist cover sheet and it may take 20 to 30 days to review. Sorry

Thanks,

yeah the more I read the email we were sent the more specific it appears to be to us and our case so i really don't see how it can be a false check list.

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to have to meet with our lawyer tomorrow morning. x

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**One non responsive post removed.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

It appears your lawyer made the same mistake on all the cases she's done, yet prefers to blame the NVC.

Hope you get this straightened out quickly.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Thanks,

yeah the more I read the email we were sent the more specific it appears to be to us and our case so i really don't see how it can be a false check list.

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to have to meet with our lawyer tomorrow morning. x

The Affadavit of Support may have been filed correctly but it seems as though the IV package which accompanies the DS260 has been neglected.

In this package you need to provide the following.

Original Police Certificate and a copy

Original Marriage Certificate and a copy

Original Birth Certificate and a copy

Copy of Bio Data page of passport

2X US passport style photo's with Name, case number and date of birth written on the back.

NVC will not complete your case until they have received these civil documents.

Police Certificate's in the UK can only be obtained by ACRO. You will need to complete the application form and mail it to them. It cannot be done online. You will need to provide them with 2 forms of official correspondence (phone bill, bank statement etc), and an endorsed UK size passport photo. Here is the link http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

It takes 10 working days to receive the certificate using the standard service which is £45, and 2 working days for the express service which is £80.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Before you and everyone else goes and blames the attorney I did it all my self. Double checked and triple checked everything and know I sent in everything to USCIS. I got an RFE for missing G-325a's. I know I sent them as they were in both the packet I give to my fiancee and the packet I have. When she was with me we verified that each packet was the same and had everything in it yet USCIS says I did not send it.

USCIS can and will loose things. Do not worry you attorney will sort it out and get them what they lost. I was all upset about this myself and it actually only delayed me by 30 days and in the end for the total process it does not seam to effected my final date by much from what I predicted.

Good luck

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Another non responsive post to the OP removed along with one member's access to this thread. If you can't address the OP's question, then don't post. Thread bans will continue for any additional non responsive posts.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I found out that if the phone rings more than 4 times hang up and redial. I haven't had trouble getting in contact with them. Might take some time, but I always seems to get in contact within an hour.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

NVC does make mistakes.. They lost my wife's passport pictures, they rejected my Affidavit of support co signer's Puerto Rican birth certificate because they claimed it was invalidated. It took me several days and several hours of arguing with the Department of State and supervisors and when I finally got the right person to verify the actual invalidation date was pushed farther out and that the birth certificate was technically still valid and they accepted it. Just to be safe I had him order a new pr birth certificate online through vitalcheck and we had the new one ready should they ask. So long story short though rare they do make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes. Lawyer or NVC. The biggest thing is to respond to the RFE ASAP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.