Irina and Moose

What did you do while waiting during visa process

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The wedding is May 27, I will file for the CR-1 visa the second week of June (when I return to USA). According the USCIS and visajourney, current average CR-1 times from NOA1 to Interview is 385. Even looking only at the past 8 interviews for Moscow, the average time was 325 days. Approx. one year.

post-176944-0-63821300-1394912023_thumb.jpg

What did you do during the wait period; how did you prepare your home and your life for your wife or fiancee? I know, the time will pass and it will all be worth the wait; however, humor me. Let's discuss this.

So far, this is what I have done. During the past couple months, Irina and I have exchanged pictures of various items for our new home. We have purchased a set of dinnerware (four plates, four salad plates, four mugs and four bowls), we have purchased a set of cuisinart cookware (pots and pans), a sharp knife set (bread, paring, carving, etc) a set of silverware, a microwave and a set of bed linens and bath towels. I am currently using the microwave and bed linens but the other items are put aside for our new life. We choose one new item every two weeks for our new home.

We have discussed the home we wish to find. I am a PhD student despite my advanced age. I live on-campus but in a beautiful area. We plan to stay in this area once I complete my degree (2016). We both want a simple small cottage of approx. 500-700 sq. ft.

Your turn, please share how you and your mate passed the time between filing for visa and arrival.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Right now Im waiting for K1, and I am going crazy. We are in 1.5 months of our filing, and we have approx. 3.5 months left to get the NOA2. Hopefully, we will get it sooner. I used to live with him in U.S., so waiting in my home country, and not working is very tough for me. I am spending a lot of time in Visajourney.

Timeline

Thanks ashleyphilly, I agree the wait is so difficult. At least the K1 process is a bit faster than the CR-1. I gave alot of thought to doing a K1 but wanted her family to be part of the wedding. That would not be possible with a K1 because her family lives in Russia and getting a visitors visa is nearly impossible.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Your turn, please share how you and your mate passed the time between filing for visa and arrival.

Skype, plus Skype live video tours of the house and the yard with the laptop and Wi-Fi.....when she arrived she knew what was in every drawer, behind every door.

Small movie clips from driving around town....the bank....the food market....the shopping mall.....the gas station.

I purchased a toddler bed for the little one and painted his room.

Leave all other purchases alone until she gets here....she'll want and should be involved.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline
Skype, plus Skype live video tours of the house and the yard with the laptop and Wi-Fi.....when she arrived she knew what was in every drawer, behind every door.

Small movie clips from driving around town....the bank....the food market....the shopping mall.....the gas station.

Leave all other purchases alone until she gets here....she'll want and should be involved.

Good ideas Phil

Edited by Irina and John

If there is one thing I would advise everyone in this position it is to save as much money as you can during this waiting period, and reduce debt etc if you have it. And that goes for both partners.

Then when she arrives you will have a good budget for all the new things you want to buy together (speaking as a wife, you are definitely going to need more household linens!)

Or it can be the deposit for your new home.

Or it can be a travelling fund to take your new bride on some lovely vacations across the US to show her the best bits of her new home.

But other ideas:

If you're a bit of a pack rat then I recommend going through your belongings and declutter as much as possible. It's mentally uplifting as well as practical to have as clean a slate as possible for your new life. (I spend my first three months clearing out boxes in cupboards which my husband had not touched for 20 years!)

A bit nearer the time work out what your bride will want to do in her first few months and what you need to do as a couple and start researching and planning for it. ie. If she needs to learn to drive find her a good teacher, get her the state driver's manual etc. If she is hoping to start working in a particular industry start gathering info and contact details for her, see if there is anything she can do to prepare for her arrival in her home country - converting qualifications, translating resume etc.

Timeline

Thanks Lynne, very good advice. I have reduced all my belongs to a few boxes and books. As a PhD student, I live a very simple life. She is Russian so she has no long term bills and I have reduced all mine to only my school loans. By the time she arrives, I hope to have enough saved to pay cash for a little cabin. We both want a small simple cabin as our home.

I will let her pick more linens, I understand that one fitted sheet is a bit on the sparse side of living.

I worked as an editor when we started the process of I-129F to K-1 visa, my fiancé and I had been in relationship for over 5 years before he filed petition for me. I also have two websites need maintenance from me and my company was really nice to me. They knew I am going to leave the job and gave me a lot of support.

We did video call everyday using Skype at my work and home. I think the only time that I did not talk to him when he was doing his work - I called him when lunch time- and when he was fall asleep on Skype. So, I had no time to stress out waiting for the whole process. I had many things to do. Also, I went out with my female friends enjoy time together since my fiancé and I had 14 hours differences.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
What did you do during the wait period; how did you prepare your home and your life for your wife or fiancee?

IMO a year is to long to not visit if you can afford it. Try and break up the wait by going to visit. Go every three months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow, Irina and Moose... I really feel for you. A year will be along time to wait.

Zhenya and I did K-1, so our wait was a little shorter. We helped the time to pass by talking on Skype as often as possible. We also sent each other snail mail semi-frequently to mix it up. =) And we'd also add variety by Skyping with each other's friends and family together, too.

Also, it may sound silly, but Zhenya also would record himself reading and send me the recording. I'd burn it to a CD and sometimes listen to it in my car. It was basically a book on tape, but also helped me to feel close to him even when we were living in different countries. :)

Another good thing we did was set a definite date we would see each other, regardless of the visa process status. For us it was May 01 2014. We both said, "No matter what, we will see each other by May 01 2014" even if the visa is not approved by then. Luckily, we now have an interview date March 19, but had we not, I would have started to plan another trip to Russia in the beginning of April. Having a definite "light at the end of the tunnel" really helps when waiting on a visa that takes an unknown amount of time. It was sort of comforting and made the wait more bearable. =)

Best of luck to you both!!!

~ Samantha

Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Moscow, Russia I-129F Sent : 2013-12-19 I-129F NOA1 : 2013-12-26 I-129F NOA2 : 2014-01-17 Interview: 2014-03-19 Approved: 2014-03-19

Timeline

eieio and banshee;

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to return for visit for the New Year, I agree; one year is to long to not return for a visit.

Wow, Samantha, you process went really quick. Filed December and interview in March. Best of luck with the interview on Wednesday. I am sure he will do well.

Timeline

Thanks! :) Yes, it went much quicker than we had anticipated. I'm not sure why, but I'm certainly not complaining! Now only if we can just get an "approved!" on Wednesday. I hope your's will go quicker than you anticipate, as well! :)

eieio and banshee;

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to return for visit for the New Year, I agree; one year is to long to not return for a visit.

Wow, Samantha, you process went really quick. Filed December and interview in March. Best of luck with the interview on Wednesday. I am sure he will do well.

Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Moscow, Russia I-129F Sent : 2013-12-19 I-129F NOA1 : 2013-12-26 I-129F NOA2 : 2014-01-17 Interview: 2014-03-19 Approved: 2014-03-19

Timeline

Banshee;

If all K-1 visas were processed with that speed, I would certainly go that route. However, we both wanted to get married in the Russian Orthodox church so that her family could attend. The timelines for CR-1 and K-3 is much much slower. I have not even started the process and it is already painful.

However, I continue to look forward to my trip to Russia (April 16-June 8) and our marriage May 27. I just fear the long wait after the marriage for the visa. If I was not teaching fall semester, I would certainly consider moving to Russia till approved but I need to complete my PhD and earn money so that we qualify for the visa based on my salary.

Timeline

I totally understand you! Where are you visiting in Russia? :) I think you're going to have a great time, and I completely understand that nagging worry about the long wait afterwards. It's hard to get married and then have to spend so much time apart.

I also understand you about the Russian Orthodox church ceremony. Zhenya is also Russian Orthodox and would have liked to have gone that route... but we had read that the K-1 was faster, and being apart as much as we have was enough, as is. :) I'm also finishing school, so I understand your hesitations about moving in the interim. (What are you getting your PhD in? :) )

Best of luck to you both. Your trip is so soon, and it's going to be life-changing. :) It's going to be great.

Banshee;

If all K-1 visas were processed with that speed, I would certainly go that route. However, we both wanted to get married in the Russian Orthodox church so that her family could attend. The timelines for CR-1 and K-3 is much much slower. I have not even started the process and it is already painful.

However, I continue to look forward to my trip to Russia (April 16-June 8) and our marriage May 27. I just fear the long wait after the marriage for the visa. If I was not teaching fall semester, I would certainly consider moving to Russia till approved but I need to complete my PhD and earn money so that we qualify for the visa based on my salary.

Timeline

Hi Banshee; I will start with a week in Moscow to get documents from Embassy and Dept. of Legel. then on to Solikamsk which is about 100 km north of Perm on the Urals.

I am getting my PhD in moose ecology; I have a rabid passion for moose.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.