dakroww

Spouse Visa Question (IR1 or CR1)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

To anyone who can help answer my questions.

I am a United States Citizen who has been living in Bogota, Colombia for nearly two years with my wife of 1 year and 8 months (We are legally married here in Colombia). I would like to bring her to United States with me, but because I have been living in Colombia for two years I do not have a domicile in the United States, I am although a student in a University in the United States via virtual learning. My wife and I plan on moving to the United States as soon as possible and I am already looking for work in United States and a new apartment. I do have (a good work history) in the United States before traveling to Colombia.

I guess what I need to know is whether or not I need to travel to United States first and begin working and move into my apartment, before I can begin the “immigrant VISA” process to bring my (legal wife) to the United States with me. All the documentation I have looked at online seems to be slightly unclear about my specific situation. Again, I am a legal United States resident, born and raised and I have been living with my wife, who was born and raised in Bogota, Colombia, for nearly two years. We are planning on moving to Austin, Texas where I can begin my professional life again in the United States. PLEASE! I need some information or assistance on the best course of action to take. I do not want to pay for the whole VISA application process now, if I am just going to have to do it again after traveling to the United States.

I feel my biggest obstacle is the fact I currently do not reside or have a domicile within the United States, but I think this is understandable due to the fact I have resided in Colombia for two years.Thanks in advance for any help or assistance you can give to me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Duplicate thread removed~

(organizer hat off)

Is Direct Consular Filing (DCF) available at the US embassy in Bogota? Is that a possibility for you?

http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Duplicate thread removed~

(organizer hat off)

Is Direct Consular Filing (DCF) available at the US embassy in Bogota? Is that a possibility for you?

http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

Good luck on your visa journey.

DCF is unavailable in Columbia.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

You can file I-130 petition now, it doesn't matter if you're living in the US or in Colombia. Once the I-130 gets approved (6 to 9 months or more for the approval), it goes to the NVC.

At the NVC stage (3-4 months) you'll need to prove that you're going to establish residency in the US (you'll have to have a job and a place to live there). Also, you will have to file and Affidavit of Support (AOS), which implies to send the last three years of tax transcripts, pay stubs and a letter from employment showing how much money you would be making by then. If you didn't make 125% or above the poverty line the past three years and/or you would not be making 125% or above, then you're going to need a joint sponsor.

Once you're done with the NVC, your wife would be scheduled an interview appointment in Bogota. If she gets approved that day, she will be granted an IR-1 visa (because you would be married for more than two years by that time). Once your wife gets to the US, a 10 years Green Card will be issued and will be sent to your wife by mail.

I recommend you do some research here in VJ, since there is a lot of valuable information that can help you to understand the process, therefore avoiding making mistakes.

Here is the first guide you need to read to start the process:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=&op3=5&op5=&op6=All

Good luck with your journey!

USCIS

04-29-2013: Sent I-130 packet

05-06-2013: I-130 NOA1

05-16-2013: Sent I-129F packet

05-20-2013: I-129F NOA1

06-06-2013: I-129F Alien registration number changed

11-20-2013: Submitted I-129F e-Request

12-11-2013: I-130 and I-129F Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

01-03-2014 Submitted second I-129F e-Request

01-14-2014: I-130 Alien registration number changed

01-14-2014: I-130 and I-129F Approved

01-16-2014: I-130 shipped to DoS email

01-17-2014: I-129F shipped to DoS email

NVC

01-29-2014: NVC received case

03-07-2014: Case Number and Invoice ID Number assigned

03-08-2014: DS-261 Available and submitted to NVC

03-10-2014: AOS invoice available and paid

03-13-2014: AOS packet express mailed to NVC

03-14-2014: AOS packet delivered to NVC

03-14-2014: AOS shows "PAID"

03-18-2014: AOS Packet entered to the system

03-19-2014 DS-261 Accepted

03-31-2014: IV invoice available and paid

04-01-2014: IV packet express mailed to NVC

04-01-2014: AOS Accepted

04-02-2014: IV packet delivered to NVC

04-04-2014: IV shows "PAID"

04-04-2014: DS-260 submitted

04-04-2014: IV packet entered to the system

23-04-2014: Case Complete - No Checklists!!

30-04-2014: Interview scheduled

CONSULATE

10-06-2014: Interview :dancing:

I'm in the same situation as you. Left the U.S. fresh out of college and going on five years later, I'm still abroad, although I've always planned to move back home. Currently, I live in Bogotá with my husband. Reestablishing domicile will probably my biggest challenge, too. Worst case scenario, you go through most of the process and when it comes time to prove domicile, you move back to Austin alone, get an apartment and a job, and then send that evidence.

I know it depends on the country how strict they are with domicile. Spouses of Canadians living in Canada pretty much have to move back to the U.S. without their loved one to prove intent to reestablish domicile. Your mileage may vary. I haven't heard anything specifically about Colombia. Sometimes voting records, bank accounts and moving company quotes are enough, sometimes they ask for a lot more. That's what I've learned reading the forum, anyway.

Edited by Abby&Mario

USCIS (Priority date April 1, Approval April 17, no RFEs)

March 28, 2014: I-130 sent via FedEx from Bogotá to Chicago Lockbox

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 16: USCIS change of address e-mail received

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

May 22: NOA2 duplicate hard copy arrives to U.S. address

NVC

April 29, 2014: Case received

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 4, 2014: AOS payment invoiced, paid; DS-261 received by NVC

June 6, 2014: AOS payment shows as PAID in payment portal

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 1, 2014: AOS package scanned

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 6: IV invoice e-mail FINALLY received at 2:13 a.m. NVC time

August 7: IV payment made available on payment portal; paid

August 8: IV payment shows as PAID in payment portal; DS-260 becomes available

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 15: DS-260 submitted

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 8: Checklist response and IV package scanned

September 10: DS-260 accepted; false checklist received

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

September 26: Embassy change approved; new case number assigned

October 30: CASE COMPLETE

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks Abby & DearJohn,

Your posts were both very helpful. Abby, you seem to be in a very similar situation as I am. I will be mailing my I-130 package out next week and I will be moving back to Austin alone (unfortunately) in June to reestablish myself. I do have some good news, I found a good friend who will joint sponsor with me if my lack of US income over the last two years hurts me as far as the affidavit of support goes. Also, I do have a time advantage, because I have been legally married in Bogota since August of 2012 I will automatically receive the IR1 VISA. By the way, where in Bogota do you live? I am currently residing in Alamos Norte.

Don

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If you come back and start working several months before your spouse immigrates, chances are you will NOT need a joint sponsor. You cannot qualify based on past income, so you are unlikely (some rare exceptions) to be disqualified based on a lack of past income when you are well employed with income a good margin above what is required.

It's all a judgment call by a Consular officer. If you look like you can support your family, it's a go.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 6 months later...
Timeline

I have been married to a lovely Colombian lady for 15 months. We have lived in Medellin since the marriage. I submitted the I-130 for my wife and two children on Sept. 15, thinking that with the normal processing times, we might hit the two year mark around the time she came to the states (thus being an IR-1). Surprise, surprise!! After exactly one month, I received notice that the two children have been approved and more info is needed for my wife. I will address this as soon as I receive a copy of the 797 (it's in the US, still).

Question right now is this: Anyone have experience with cases being processed this quickly? Possibly for direct embassy processing, in the sense of largely bypassing the NVC wait? Never heard of a one month turn around and just curious what it might mean.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.