Lights

Funds in Canadian Account

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What should I do with the funds I currently have in my canadian bank account? I believe we can only transfer $10,000 at a time, or we're subject to tax? I read that there was a law that was passed that any funds in any accounts in any countries with an amount of over $10,000 will need to be reported to US (I think it was called Fbar?).

I'm in the process of selling my home and just wondering what I need to do. I hope to sell it before I move, so I'm not subject to double taxes. Unless, I'm mistaken? It is my primary residence, so I wouldn't be claiming capital gains or losses.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

What should I do with the funds I currently have in my canadian bank account? I believe we can only transfer $10,000 at a time, or we're subject to tax? I read that there was a law that was passed that any funds in any accounts in any countries with an amount of over $10,000 will need to be reported to US (I think it was called Fbar?).

I'm in the process of selling my home and just wondering what I need to do. I hope to sell it before I move, so I'm not subject to double taxes. Unless, I'm mistaken? It is my primary residence, so I wouldn't be claiming capital gains or losses.

There is no tax for bringing the money to the US and electronic transfer is always a good idea. The only requirement is that you must declare any transactions in excess of $ 10K - so even if you were to transfer in two installments of $5K you would still be required to report it, by law. The main reason i would suggest an electronic transfer is because you will have to show evidence of the origin of the money - this is part of anti money laundering laws. There is no tributary burden on bringing the money to the US and there is no limit - it is your money and you can do as you please. However, keeping all these records and evidence of the provenance of the funds will help you show it is derived from the sale of your home, and if you purchase another home in the US you most likely will not be taxed.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to figure out where I read it… but something about FBAR, where if I kept currency in another account (say one in Canada), that the IRS will make me disclose or report that information?

The only reason I ask is because I would like to transfer some of my $$ to my US account, but keep some in my Canadian account. I have several 'bills' that I'm locked into (like my life insurance) that needs to be paid in a Canadian account. I'll also be traveling often back and forth (I'm not too far from home, even when I move to the US) to visit family. I'll likely only keep $5000-$10,000 in my canadian account and transfer the rest.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

You do have report 10k or more and rrsps etc on your US taxes when they're in foreign accounts. Accounts that earn interest also need to be reported if they earn interest.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure about the tax implications but if you're looking for QUICK transfers across borders for amounts >10,000 then you should go with TD cross border banking.

TD will allow you to transfer up to $25,000 within 24 hours and you can have those funds in your account the same day if you call before noon to schedule the transfer. Only important thing to note is that both the Canadian and US account must be in your name. Thats how I pay my bills in Canada if I have to make transfers in my Cdn account. Also, the US TD account is FREE as long as your $100 in your US TD acct at all times.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/cross-border-banking/index.jsp

Timeline

Jun - Job offer in US
Jul - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US - 2 year valid

Aug - Left for Hong Kong for training - re-entered @ JFK and received 2nd TN

Sep - Continued work in U.S. on TN visa - valid till Jul 31, 2014

April - Met husband for the 1st time

May- decided to get married

August - Married in Texas, honeymoon in Hawaii (did not leave U.S.)

October - Quit TN job in U.S and moved to Ohio

Feb 18th (Day 0) - Mailed in my AOS package via UPS Express (I-130 & I-485, I693, I864, I765, I131)

Feb 19th (Day 1) - UPS tracking shows package delivered!!!

Feb 25th (Day 6) - Rcvd text&email NOA1 (I-130 = Initial Review & I-485=Acceptance, I693, I864, I765=Initial Review,I131 = Initial Review )

Feb 27th (Day 8) - Rcvd NOA1 in the mail

March 4th (Day 13) - Received biometrics appt letter in the mail - (appt for March 20 in Indianapolis)

March 20th (Day 30) - Biometrics Completed in Indianapolis

March 24th (Day 34) - waiting..... waiting.... and waiting for my travel authorization .. really wanna go to Canada

March 31st (Day 41) - AOS - Received text and email for change of status to "interview and testing"

April 7th (Day 48) - AOS - Received text and email for NOA mailed with info about "interview and testing". Says Interview scheduled for May 8th!!!!

April 10th (Day 52) - AOS - Received NOA2 in the mail for interview on May 8th at 9:30 in Indianapolis

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually you can transfer up to $100,000 daily!

Get no-fee wire transfers4 of up to $100,000 daily between your Canadian and U.S. based TD accounts over the phone.

And no one in US will give you as good exchange rates on wire transfers as TD will. I know the currency difference isn't THAT much but when you are transferring SO much money, then it does make a difference.

Good Luck!

Timeline

Jun - Job offer in US
Jul - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US - 2 year valid

Aug - Left for Hong Kong for training - re-entered @ JFK and received 2nd TN

Sep - Continued work in U.S. on TN visa - valid till Jul 31, 2014

April - Met husband for the 1st time

May- decided to get married

August - Married in Texas, honeymoon in Hawaii (did not leave U.S.)

October - Quit TN job in U.S and moved to Ohio

Feb 18th (Day 0) - Mailed in my AOS package via UPS Express (I-130 & I-485, I693, I864, I765, I131)

Feb 19th (Day 1) - UPS tracking shows package delivered!!!

Feb 25th (Day 6) - Rcvd text&email NOA1 (I-130 = Initial Review & I-485=Acceptance, I693, I864, I765=Initial Review,I131 = Initial Review )

Feb 27th (Day 8) - Rcvd NOA1 in the mail

March 4th (Day 13) - Received biometrics appt letter in the mail - (appt for March 20 in Indianapolis)

March 20th (Day 30) - Biometrics Completed in Indianapolis

March 24th (Day 34) - waiting..... waiting.... and waiting for my travel authorization .. really wanna go to Canada

March 31st (Day 41) - AOS - Received text and email for change of status to "interview and testing"

April 7th (Day 48) - AOS - Received text and email for NOA mailed with info about "interview and testing". Says Interview scheduled for May 8th!!!!

April 10th (Day 52) - AOS - Received NOA2 in the mail for interview on May 8th at 9:30 in Indianapolis

Not only does the US bank report the transfer between the foreign and US bank, starting in July this year, foreign banks will have to report foreign assets to the IRS for US citizens and residents. It's all automated now. You only need to personally report what the IRS can't already see, like carrying over a wad of cash.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You do have report 10k or more and rrsps etc on your US taxes when they're in foreign accounts. Accounts that earn interest also need to be reported if they earn interest.

http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/NoRegFBARFiler.html

Yes this is what the FBAR is for. Is for things mentioned like the RRSPs and other funds etc.

I have to do this each year myself. You just have to post the highest amount through the quarterly statements in a given year, or if you only get one amount statement at the end of the year, you enter that number in.

I actually learned about all this 2 years ago and never had done it before. I had to amend all my taxes back to when I became a USC years back. It was a giant pain in the ###. Good thing I didn't have to go back to when I first moved here almost a decade before or I would still be amending them :)

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.