no one

Decoding stuff from the Canada Revenue Agency!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I moved here to the U.S. a few months ago and this will be my first time filling out my tax return without the help of my dad :(

I've just started to take a peek at the CRA guide for emigrants here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4056/t4056-e.html and this blurb caught my eyes:

Are you receiving the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit?

As an emigrant, you are not entitled to the GST/HST credit. If either you or your spouse or common-law partner receives the GST/HST credit, it is important that you tell us your date of emigration as soon as possible. If you receive a GST/HST credit payment after you emigrate, you should notify us at once.

Checking my bank records, I see that I did indeed receive a GST credit payment one month after I left Canada.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do and what happened?

If I contact them, do I lose all of my tax credit? And if I don't contact them, will the secret police hunt me down and clobber me in my sleep?!

Thanks in advance! I'll probably have more questions as I continue to read the guide and fill out my tax return in the upcoming months...

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I moved here to the U.S. a few months ago and this will be my first time filling out my tax return without the help of my dad :(

I've just started to take a peek at the CRA guide for emigrants here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4056/t4056-e.html and this blurb caught my eyes:

Are you receiving the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit?

As an emigrant, you are not entitled to the GST/HST credit. If either you or your spouse or common-law partner receives the GST/HST credit, it is important that you tell us your date of emigration as soon as possible. If you receive a GST/HST credit payment after you emigrate, you should notify us at once.

Checking my bank records, I see that I did indeed receive a GST credit payment one month after I left Canada.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do and what happened?

If I contact them, do I lose all of my tax credit? And if I don't contact them, will the secret police hunt me down and clobber me in my sleep?!

Thanks in advance! I'll probably have more questions as I continue to read the guide and fill out my tax return in the upcoming months...

Once you file your leaving Canada return, they will send you a bill for the GST Refund that they gave you since you left Canada... Hope you didn't spend it all in one place... Keep the rest of the payments that they give you in a seperate account so that you don't spend it when the bill comes calling...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, it happened to me. They'll send you a bill.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you both! Do you have to pay the bill via cheques (I have no Canadian cheques left), or can it be done by credit card or even bank transfers?

Has to be done by cheque... Get someone you know in Canada to write it for you... or get an international money order...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So what happens if you don't apply for GST Credit on the 2006 Tax Returns? I will recieve my January GST Credit (from my understanding it's from purchases made in 2006), leaving in early February for the US. When I file my 2006 return, I will not apply for the GST Credit as I won't be making any purchases in Canada & thus no need for a GST credit. Hopefully that will stop them from depositing it to my account in the first place. In short I will be elligible for GST credit for this January as I am living in this country and paying GST every day, but not ellible for the April cheque because I will no longer be living here & paying Federal tax no?

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, the GST year is not based on January to January but July to July, so the January cheque is the 2nd last cheque based on the 2005 tax year. You will not be eligible for GST based on the 2006 year if you leave the country in February and you won't be eligible for the last GST cheque of 2005 since you will not be in the country when it is issued. The new GST year based on 2006 taxes starts in July 2007. The start date is to allow time for the processing of income tax returns which are due in April. Hope that clarifies things.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.