Applying for permanent residence and K3/K4

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have just posted to a different forum, but this one is much more relevant.

I am about to kick off the permanent residence application for my wife and daughter, who are both UK citizens (In brief, we got married when I was a permanent resident but not yet a US citizen). My questions are:

1) Is it worth the while for me to apply for K3/K4 visas for them as well? It is not clear to me that the processing time for those visas is significantly shorter than that for permanent residence, but I may be wrong. In particular, I do not know how those processing times stack up for UK citizens.

2) Are my wife and daughter allowed to come to the US as visitors on the Visa Waiver Program once the permanent residence and/or K3/K4 visa applications on their behalf have been started? I understand that technically speaking it is OK, but that the immigration authorities in the US do not like it and will make things move much more slowly.

Feedback will be much appreciated.

I believe you have to apply for a K3 visa for your wife to enter the U.S., then you apply for an Adjustment of Status.

As far as I know that is the only way your wife and child can move to the U.S. Of course they can visit on the VWP--but if they enter the U.S. on the VWP with intent to live here permanently, that would be fraud.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.