JillWill

Certified Copy of Birth Certificate?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Has anyone had experience in using certified copies instead of original documents (like the birth certificate) for their London interview? I know the website says that an original or certified copy is fine, but it makes me a little nervous. Does anyone know if the embassy has certain rules about how to certify documents? I looked on the website and didn't see anything, but maybe I missed it. This website (https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document) makes it sound pretty straightforward, but I don't know if their rules are the same as the London embassy's. My fiance's interview is in a few weeks and his birth certificate is at home with his parents, but he lives several hours away. So we're trying to decide if he should make the trip home to get the actual one, have his parents post the original, or have them certify a copy and post that.

Any help is very much appreciated!

October 22, 2013: Mailed I-129F Packet

November 1, 2013: NOA1 email and text

November 4, 2013: Alien registration number changed

November 20, 2013: NOA2

December 19, 2013: Case forwarded to London Embassy

January 2, 2014: Packet 3 Received

February 7, 2014: Medical

March 13, 2014: Interview

Timeline

Has anyone had experience in using certified copies instead of original documents (like the birth certificate) for their London interview? I know the website says that an original or certified copy is fine, but it makes me a little nervous. Does anyone know if the embassy has certain rules about how to certify documents? I looked on the website and didn't see anything, but maybe I missed it. This website (https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document) makes it sound pretty straightforward, but I don't know if their rules are the same as the London embassy's. My fiance's interview is in a few weeks and his birth certificate is at home with his parents, but he lives several hours away. So we're trying to decide if he should make the trip home to get the actual one, have his parents post the original, or have them certify a copy and post that.

My birth certificate is a certified copy, as my original is the shirt version without my parents names on it which they do not accept, so I had to get a certified copy of the long version in 2006 when I got a student visa to the US. I also used it at my K-1 interview earlier this month and it was fine.

My K-1 visa interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13931 Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I wrote this very quickly and am not able to go back and edit it!

My POE interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?trim=no&poe=JFK&page=1&dfilter=0

Native Northumbrian

100px-Flag_of_Northumberland.svg.png

Adopted New Yorker

100px-Flag_of_New_York_City.svg.png

Met in London, UK - 8th October, 2010

Fiancee moved back to NYC - October 2011

Two year long-distance relationship

I-129f sent - 10th September 2013

I-129f NOA1 - 24th September 2013

NOA2 - 18th October 2013 (so fast!!)

DS-160 sent - 14th November 2013

Readiness form submitted - 4th January 2014

Medical examination - 13th January 2014

Interview date - 11th February 2014

Visa approved!

Entered the US at JFK - 30th March 2014

Married! - 25th April 2014

Mailed AOS package - 8th May 2014

Recieved NOA for AOS - 12th May 2014

EAD/AP approved - 23rd July 2014

Received EAD/AP - 31st July 2014

Began working again! - 1st August 2014

Timeline

Good to hear, thanks!

October 22, 2013: Mailed I-129F Packet

November 1, 2013: NOA1 email and text

November 4, 2013: Alien registration number changed

November 20, 2013: NOA2

December 19, 2013: Case forwarded to London Embassy

January 2, 2014: Packet 3 Received

February 7, 2014: Medical

March 13, 2014: Interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

My experience was the same as stevensane's- the only birth certificate I had was a pinky/peachy one which was the short version. I applied for the long version which came back a greeny colour with "certified copy" at the top. No problems whatsoever at the interview.

if his parents have his original and it's the long version, get them to post it to him and use that. You dont get a copy certified, if you order one it comes certified.

I think maybe you are missing the usual meaning of the term "certified copy" especially in the American sense (which is what immigration is about).

Example-- a birth record or marriage record may be on file in a big dusty book at a courthouse. When you need a copy of that record, the clerk makes a copy from the record book. Then they put a stamp or seal on it and somebody signs that they "certify" it is a copy of official county records. For example every version of birth certificate I have is certified. The only "original" is on file with the county.

What you seem to be describing is his parents making a photocopy of their record and having somebody certify their photocopy. Better to have them mail him the birth certificate or have him order his own new copy straight from the birth records and "certified" by the UK General Register Office http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/.

This may not be the only time in the rest of his life he will need to have a birth certificate, so get a proper one...either the one mum has or a newly ordered one for the UK government.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I think the GRO only charged me £10 for the birth certificate and it arrived in less than two weeks so that's the best option if your parents can't find yours or you never had the long version.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

you can also call the registrar wherever your birth was registered and pay over the phone. I did that, very quick and easy. cost a tenner.

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It has just dawned on me that the strongest document is my birth certificate which is missing.

I'm filing through my Dad who's USC. I have certified copies which I got from applying for my masters years ago but I don't have the original and as I was born in Nigeria it's impossible to get an extract of the birth register.

I have a family studio photo from when I was 6 but I could've been his orphaned niece or something lol. It doesn't prove paternity.

In your experience what's the US embassy in London like on stuff like this?

Thanks.

A certified copy is what you need.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.