sandynfrancis

recently filed I-130 for Canadian Citizen Spouse

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi

wow I wish I had found this site before we had sent off everything- I was actually redirected here from an XOJane.com post.

I am a US Citizen who lives in Canada (specifically Winnipeg Manitoba- the coldest place ever ugh). I am a Canadian Permanent Resident (I have lived here 7 years), and married my Canadian spouse in August 2013 (August 24th specifically). in December 2013 I accepted employment with a US based IT firm (in Overland Park Kansas no less) and we are hoping to relocate to the Kansas City area, once my husband has the authorization to live and work in the US (we also need to sell the Condo I bought in 2009).

we very recently applied for the I-130 (literally it was fedexed on Saturday from Grand Forks North Dakota, with a targeted delivery date of today February 20th 2014)

after reading several posts, it sounds like maybe shouldn't file the I-129F after getting the NOA-1 and just wait for the IR1/CR1 Visa- thoughts??

Winnipeg does have a US Consulate, however it is TINY and I don't believe they issue Visas there at all.

No your spouse will be going to the Montreal Consulate. I do not recommend chasing the K3 visa. If you did, and it amazingly made it through, your spouse would have to interview in Vancouver. The CR1 is the superior visa as it doesn't require the beneficiary to adjust their status. They can work right away which also means they can collect Canadian EI right away as well. They have a green card upon entry.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sandynfrancis: Don't bother with the i -129F just go the route of the i-130. It takes about 10 months for the entire process from initial filing to interview date in Montreal. Just be patient. We decided to just let the system take its course and not try to rush anything. It can be frustrating at times but just ride it out. I found many people on here were calling every day etc. Once it gets through the first screening and moves to the NVC it goes much faster. The 1-129F/K3 is a waste of time and money according to most on this site. We didn't hire a lawyer either.

What part of KC are you moving to? KC MO or KC K?

Good luck.

My husband did not call the entire time our I-130 was processing. It was frustrating to me but he has worked for the US government in some manner or another since he was 18 and is almost 30. I asked him one time about people who call every day or all the time to the USCIS and he said, "of course they note that and will take longer. They don't like to be bugged. Let them do their job and if it goes over the time they've stated it will happen in, then find out what's going on but until then, leave them alone." Words I've taken to heart. The other good one was "let them think they're smart. No one likes being told they're stupid, especially not government workers."

On the flip side, the USCIS call line is a call centre by a contractor and not really US government employees. LOL

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.